Never visited

Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Never visited

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
The biggest mistake people make who move here with out seeing it is some expect it to be just like Britain on the other side of the world, you have to be prepared to accept that you are moving to a foreign country, its not the Faulkland Islands where everyone is " More British then the British" and watches British TV on Satellite, reads British newspapers and talks about British football and refers to Britain as home.

Totally agree - but why ? Isn't this some of the reasons they are leaving in the first place ?!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by podgypossum
SA does have daylight saving unlike Queensland...do you know any reason why they dont as i would imagine it would be quite beneficial?
I'm told (in all seriousness) that there was once a referendum on having Daylight Saving.....but it was rejected beause a lot of Queenslanders believed that the cows would become confused over the time it got light, and therefore would stop giving milk......... I have also been told that some people believe that the extra daylight would cause their furniture to fade faster.......
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mel Gibson
The biggest mistake people make who move here with out seeing it is some expect it to be just like Britain on the other side of the world, you have to be prepared to accept that you are moving to a foreign country, its not the Faulkland Islands where everyone is " More British then the British" and watches British TV on Satellite, reads British newspapers and talks about British football and refers to Britain as home.

Totally agree - but why ? Isn't this some of the reasons they are leaving in the first place ?!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 3:50 am
ABCDiamond

SA does have daylight saving unlike Queensland...do you know any reason why they dont as i would imagine it would be quite beneficial?
Heres a web site that talks about it all
http://www.lightofday.primetap.com/Index.html

QUOTE:
Queensland's strong case against daylight saving - the fact that it is hot, sub-tropical and nearly homogenous in its seasonal daylight patterns - continually fails to be heard, let alone taken seriously. All too frequently, daylight saving opposition is portrayed as parochial fundamentalism, not as a common sense choice. The Light of Day website makes a long overdue attempt to redress this imbalance.
<<...>>>
Daylight saving was first introduced to Tasmania in 1968 and to the Australian mainland in 1971. After a short trial period, tropical Queensland and the hot desert states of Western Australia and the Northern Territory chose to keep standard time all year round.

I'm trying to make some sense of it, but my brain doesn't seem to be in gear yet

Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we never visited before we emmigrated 10 weeks ago. I'll probably get slated for this but we think that Oz has lots of similarities to Britain. We were very happy in Britain, although we are unhappy with the way the country was being run. Here we are going to be very happy and were not going to look out of the window at greyness for the next 30-40 years of our lives. That is enough for us. (Although we may die of skin cancer)
Karen

Last edited by Muzzman; Oct 29th 2004 at 4:03 am. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Muzzman
(Although we may die of skin cancer)
Karen
We have a Doctor locally that does regular skins checks (FREE by bulk Billing) to avoid that problem

Each year in Australia, around 1,200 people die from skin cancer. Yet skin cancer is an almost totally preventable disease; 95 per cent of skin cancers are treatable if they are detected early. Regular checks of your skin should detect any suspicious lumps or spots as soon as they develop.

Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:31 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Theres no need to visit, after watching neighbours and Home and away,l'm
sure you have seen it all, say hello to Kylie Minouge and Jason Donavan for me when you get down there, l hope Mrs Mangles does'nt cause you any trouble. If you can't find somewhere to stay you can always try the caravan park near the beach at Summer Bay.

Ever the mr helpful.. Anyway, you'll find Kylie and Jason much more easily in London.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 4:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I came to Oz with wife and two kids without ever visiting. I am coming up to my 2nd anniversary. I would do the same again. That's not to say you should go blindly however.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 5:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you said that as i have never been to Queensland and only had comments made on here to go by. I did find it odd that it would be dark at 6pm as i have been to Barbados a couple of times, its far nearer the equator and gets dark at 6pm like turning a light switch off. I couldnt understand how it could be dark at the same time up there being much farther south. SA does have daylight saving unlike Queensland...do you know any reason why they dont as i would imagine it would be quite beneficial?

I dont know podgy, but obviously Polly does ... its because Queenslanders are stupid!
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

andyaldy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Greyhound
Has anyone just emigrated over to Australia without visiting it first?

I've never been, but like the sound of it. Although I think I have a view of Oz that's probably only seen on Neighbours and Home and Away!

We are a stuck in a rut at the moment and have thought of several things that we would like to do. One of them is try a different way of life, live in another Country. So Australia is looks like.

Has anyone emigrated without seeing it first hand? How did it go? Would you emigrate again without seeing the Country first?

Thanks
yes we are planning to go to oz never having visited, thats myself, husband and two children age 6 and 3, the way we see is that if you are bored here and want to move abroad its better to do it and fail ( but we are going with the intention of not failing) than never to have done it and regret it, you only get one life so you have to reach out and grab it, we are now waiting for are police checks and medicals to be requested.
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

How do the people cope who live and work in Tweed Heads/Coolangatta? They must be in total confusion most days - perhaps I should go there
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:21 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by renth
I think you'd have to be crazy to move to a country without visiting first.

Unless you are a Pilgrim Father or an Irish person fleeing the potato famine.
LOL
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
......... I have also been told that some people believe that the extra daylight would cause their furniture to fade faster.......
Oh Pollyana you crack me up re your furniture i think we will get plastic chairs if we ever get there though looking at an earlier response wont be much sunlight in Tas as its cold most of the year
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by possoms
Oh Pollyana you crack me up re your furniture i think we will get plastic chairs if we ever get there though looking at an earlier response wont be much sunlight in Tas as its cold most of the year
The sunlight will make the plastic brittle and crack !!

We get through so many plastic clothes pegs here, they just get very brittle and break. We must lose about 3 every week, as they break up as we use them.

Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The sunlight will make the plastic brittle and crack !!

We get through so many plastic clothes pegs here, they just get very brittle and break. We must lose about 3 every week, as they break up as we use them.
Aaaah now that i'm used to we have little spiders living in our pegs i always keep them on the washing line they also snap very easily think its cos of the webs they weave in them i know i should bring them indoors but dont want to make them homeless and they are very cute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.