Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 7th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

gogi79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

helloo guys
just to share with u the horrible expirence with emirates airlines after I heard from some posts that they r good .
on my way back from melbourne I was few kilos overweight ,i had 30 kiloes and they just allowed for 22 kiloes ,and i was not expecting this becasue I have been told by the agent that they allow 30 kilos, so I had only few dollars in my pocket ,and i tried to explain that i cannot pay the extra 8 kilos and if they can just make an exception ,but they totally refused ,so I had to leave 8 kiloes of my lauggage in the airport beside some bin , while the staff on the counter smiling ,when i was doing this .
I cant imagine how come they cannot make an exception in such cases .
anyways this was the first and LAST time .
by the way their logo is "Fly emairates" I guess it should be " NEVER FLY EMIRATES"

Last edited by gogi79; May 7th 2005 at 11:58 am.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:16 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gogi79
helloo guys
just to share with u the horrible expirence with emirates airlines after I heard from some posts that they r good .
on my way back from melbourne I was few kilos overweight ,i had 30 kiloes and they just allowed for 22 kiloes ,and i was not expecting this becasue I have been told by the agent that they allow 30 kilos, so I had only few dollars in my pocket ,and i tried to explain that i cannot pay the extra 8 kilos and if they can just make an exception ,but they totally refused ,so I had to leave 8 kiloes of my lauggage in the airport beside some bin , while the staff on the counter smiling ,when i was doing this .
by the way their logo is "Fly emairates" I guess it should be " NEVER FLY EMIRATES"
What did your ticket say your allowance was? Get on to your agent and the airline and complain if you feel you were hard done by.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:20 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

helloo guys
Why should they make an exception for you, whats so special about you. If they make one exception, then what about the other 350 passengers. 350 x 8 kilos, is a hell of a lot of extra luggage. Did you not have a credit card, or could you not have phoned someone who did have a credit card, then you would have been able to keep your stuff. Airlines are businesses, would you do two hours overtime, and expect no pay, no, neither would I.

Not having a go at you, btw, just pointing out why they do it, although it does seem harsh. Its all part of lifes rich tapestry, as a friends Mum used to say.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:20 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

helloo guys
on my way back from melbourne I was few kilos overweight "

Those cake shops in St Kilda have a lot to answer for.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

helloo guys
Have't used Emirates before but worked with an airline for many years, and I'm sure Emirates, like most carriers, do make exceptions, but I don't believe many airlines make an exception with 8 kg. And it's hard to believe that people travelling from Australia to Europe or the other way round have not much more than a dollar in their pocket. You should always keep an amount for unforeseen circumstances, and if you feel you don't then why should the airline (and indirectly the other passengers) pay for that?

If your baggage is lost or damaged the airline has a liability per kilogramm. If that happens to your baggage, are you prepared to claim a smaller amount because the airline says "Oh, sorry, were a bit short on cash, so we'll only pay you liability for 15 kg's"?

Lavinia
Old May 7th 2005, 1:15 pm
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

helloo guys
Your baggage allowance is printed on your flight ticket. But that aside, why didn't you just put the extra into your hand luggage? And travelling with no money, that's not very wise, is it?

I have used Emirates many times and think they are excellent.

TBEB
Old May 7th 2005, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, two things, sort of opposite views on this.

1. I think taking 8 Kg more than your allowance is ripping the arse out of it a bit. A couple of kg, maybe up to 5Kg, but 8kg! Nah

2. If some fat bloke waddles up 40 Kg heavier than me, does he have to pay extra? That annoys me too. And he gets to crush me all the way to UK.

OK so, I assume I've pissed off both sides of the argument

JTL
Old May 7th 2005, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

My mother in law and friend took back half stock of WA wine with them after xmas , totalled 29kg each, only supposed to have 20kg, they were prepared to pay but no one at Perth (Emirates check in) batted an eyelid so you can't knock the airline for that, anyway check in staff are usually recruited by airport.

No bad experiences by any of our visitors so far, just for those who have already booked tickets and I have travelled with them and many other airlines.... ...no probs
Old May 7th 2005, 1:37 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well, two things, sort of opposite views on this.

1. I think taking 8 Kg more than your allowance is ripping the arse out of it a bit. A couple of kg, maybe up to 5Kg, but 8kg! Nah

2. If some fat bloke waddles up 40 Kg heavier than me, does he have to pay extra? That annoys me too. And he gets to crush me all the way to UK.

OK so, I assume I've pissed off both sides of the argument

JTL
I normally stuff all the heavy gear in all the pockets of my jacket, trousers and ...er...if I have to, my second jacket under the first....you can easily put 8kg of compact stuff in pockets.. no - not drugs....(!)

if they complain, I point out that I just feel the cold...

the weight system involves assumes the ntional weight of an adult male/female passenger, frankly, in some ways, it is a tad unfair that many people are getting on the plane 'overweight' as the weight could be used by people's luggage.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; May 7th 2005 at 1:47 pm.

Old May 7th 2005, 1:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Always assume the worst, that you will have to pay for the excess, and then you'll often find they will split the difference if you are pleasant and polite. Rolling up for an international flight, with excess baggage and no means of paying is just not a good idea!
Incidentally, your actual allowance was almost certainly 20kgs, so by giving you 22 they were already being generous.

I'd never fly emirates again either, but thats to do with rude and incompetent staff, not baggage
Old May 7th 2005, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I normally stuff all the heavy gear in all the pockets of my jacket, trousers and ...er...if I have to, my second jacket under the first....you can easily put 8kg of compact stuff in pockets.. no - not drugs....(!)

if they complain, I point out that I just feel the cold...

the weight system involves assumes the ntional weight of an adult male/female passenger, frankly, in some ways, it is a tad unfair that many people are getting on the plane 'overweight' as the weight could be used by people's luggage.

Badge
Well me and the Mrs JTL just figured out the fair way of doing this...

They should have a weigh bridge type thing, just before the check in counter, so all your family and luggage are weighed as you are waiting to check in. Your TOTAL weight is registered.

If your total weight including body mass, kids buggies, 'Badges drugs stuffed in his jacket pockets' etc exceeds their assigned weight for per passenger, you get charged. No leeway.

Is that not fair

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 7th 2005, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

BTW - Pollyana's Useless Fact of the Day - some airlines, esp in the US, actually allow for extra "passenger" weight - for example, if the passenger manifest (list) shows there is a US football team on the flight, then they increase the amount of fuel required, and lessen the amount of freight - and maybe even passengers - carried, simply because they know that these passengers will be larger than the average.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
BTW - Pollyana's Useless Fact of the Day - some airlines, esp in the US, actually allow for extra "passenger" weight - for example, if the passenger manifest (list) shows there is a US football team on the flight, then they increase the amount of fuel required, and lessen the amount of freight - and maybe even passengers - carried, simply because they know that these passengers will be larger than the average.
Well there is the solution.

Just ring the airline and tell them you are a member of the Lard appreciation society, and also your wife and family are lard connoisseurs, and you are going to a lard eating contest.

You'll be fine, they'll double up the fuel load, and re-inforce the seats for ya.

Cheers,
JTL

Remember and mention lard
Old May 7th 2005, 2:46 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well there is the solution.

Just ring the airline and tell them you are a member of the Lard appreciation society, and also your wife and family are lard connoisseurs, and you are going to a lard eating contest.

You'll be fine, they'll double up the fuel load, and re-inforce the seats for ya.

Cheers,
JTL

Remember and mention lard
Old May 7th 2005, 2:47 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

helloo guys
Being a frequent passenger on Emirates, I can safely say that they are one of the best airlines around today. As for ur baggage hassle, I mean how can u expect them to let u off with an extra 8kgs? Your baggage should clearly be printed on your ticket and if there was some sort of discrepancy, it is to do with your travel agent and not the airline.

And at the end of the day, how can u slag off the airline for not letting u get away with excess baggage? And u say you had a few dollars in your pocket, what about a credit card of some sort? I have paid excess baggage charges in the UK for Emirates using my credit card.

Sorry mate, I unnderstand that having to toss your stuff into a bin must have been a miserable experience, but it is still no fault of the airline.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.