Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 7th 2005, 11:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never Fly Emirates!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by baggie
we flew with emirates couple of weeks ago and i have nothing but good to say about them my wife and i 2 daughters and my mother in law flew from birmingham to perth.

the cabin crew were fantastic and treated my daughters like royality and nothing was to much trouble for them.

what we did notice at perth airport on the return journey was the amount of people being pulled up for being over their luggage weight allowance but we also noticed that it wasnt emirates staff doin the check in as in birmingham but some bunch of smug arrogant aussies that were of very little help.

dont know if this is the same case in melbourne
In Australia there are strict health and safety regulations meaning cases cannot be over 30Kg, that's probably what was going on. The smug and arrogant Aussies as you so charmingly put it were only making sure that the guys loading the plane don't all get crippled by selfish tw*ts who overload their bags. Fortunatley in Australia baggage handlres aren't treated like sh*t like they are everywhere else in the world.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There are regulations pretty much worldwide that state one bag cannot be more than 32kg - for the same Health ans Safety reasons.
Old May 7th 2005, 1:54 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen

He had the worlds worst BO too. Airlines really need mandatory deoderant sprays when you board the flight. Sorry, digressing a bit.

LOL - should have asked 'em if you they could drop down the oxygen mask so you could breathe a little easier!!
Old May 7th 2005, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gogi79
helloo guys
just to share with u the horrible expirence with emirates airlines after I heard from some posts that they r good .
on my way back from melbourne I was few kilos overweight ,i had 30 kiloes and they just allowed for 22 kiloes ,and i was not expecting this becasue I have been told by the agent that they allow 30 kilos, so I had only few dollars in my pocket ,and i tried to explain that i cannot pay the extra 8 kilos and if they can just make an exception ,but they totally refused ,so I had to leave 8 kiloes of my lauggage in the airport beside some bin , while the staff on the counter smiling ,when i was doing this .
I cant imagine how come they cannot make an exception in such cases .
anyways this was the first and LAST time .
by the way their logo is "Fly emairates" I guess it should be " NEVER FLY EMIRATES"

Flown with Emirates 2wice and think they were exceptionally good - besides you cant blame an entire airline because you didnt check your baggage allowance - Besides you might have been unlucky and got a check in person who was in a bad mood and didnt feel like being generous that day again not the airlines fault
Old May 7th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
In Australia there are strict health and safety regulations meaning cases cannot be over 30Kg, that's probably what was going on. The smug and arrogant Aussies as you so charmingly put it were only making sure that the guys loading the plane don't all get crippled by selfish tw*ts who overload their bags. Fortunatley in Australia baggage handlres aren't treated like sh*t like they are everywhere else in the world.
You are so right,when i worked at Gatwick some passengers tried to get upto 30kg,yes 30kg on themselves,T£$%Ts,and did they go into one,when told to get rid of it.(check it in)
the other reason they check for cabin bagage is if it falls out of the overhead lockers and youve got over your 5kg,and it lands on your head...its going to hurt....more importantly if it falls on some body else,i would sue the arse of the persons who's bag it is not the airline
Old May 7th 2005, 7:22 pm
Here at last

Location: Now here in sunny Sandy Beach, near Coffs Harbour, N.S.W.)
TheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really niceTheRossers is just really nice

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Well me and the Mrs JTL just figured out the fair way of doing this...

They should have a weigh bridge type thing, just before the check in counter, so all your family and luggage are weighed as you are waiting to check in. Your TOTAL weight is registered.

If your total weight including body mass, kids buggies, 'Badges drugs stuffed in his jacket pockets' etc exceeds their assigned weight for per passenger, you get charged. No leeway.

Is that not fair

Cheers,
JTL
I'm with you on that JTL. Seems the fairest way of doing it. It might make some of those lard arse's lose some weight and then everybody can travel comfortably.
Some friends of gave me a handmade clock as a present and I took the time to weigh my luggage and gave the excess to my Dad to take home (as I knew I'd see it again one day - when we get our visa!!).
Old May 7th 2005, 9:25 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Posted this before, but its always good for a snigger at Emirates expense
http://www.geocities.com/soho/cafe/9653/emirates2.html
Old May 7th 2005, 9:50 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Posted this before, but its always good for a snigger at Emirates expense
http://www.geocities.com/soho/cafe/9653/emirates2.html
Seems that it`s mostly just rude arrogant people posting there, except for the excellent feedback by some of the staff
Old May 7th 2005, 10:35 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Stormz
Seems that it`s mostly just rude arrogant people posting there, except for the excellent feedback by some of the staff
You wonder, when reading it, how some people can expect an airline to bend over backwards for them to a limitless expense. I do like the long post that comes up first from the stewardess - the "share a view from the other side of the fence (the no-chip-on-shoulder don't-expect-the-world-on-a-plastic-plate side)" post!!!
Old May 7th 2005, 10:56 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

8 Kilos more is alot of $$$ in extra fuel (and other things), people don't realise that there is plenty behind the check in desks for the operation of an aircraft, airlines do exceptions, but 8 kilos... Im sorry.

It's a complex operation, not easy as some think it is... And i don't think we should judge an airline just because of that.

Kind Regards,
Pedro, a student airplane driver
Old May 7th 2005, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

helloo guys
just to share with u the horrible expirence with emirates airlines after I heard from some posts that they r good .
on my way back from melbourne I was few kilos overweight ,i had 30 kiloes and they just allowed for 22 kiloes ,and i was not expecting this becasue I have been told by the agent that they allow 30 kilos, so I had only few dollars in my pocket ,and i tried to explain that i cannot pay the extra 8 kilos and if they can just make an exception ,but they totally refused ,so I had to leave 8 kiloes of my lauggage in the airport beside some bin , while the staff on the counter smiling ,when i was doing this .
by the way their logo is "Fly emairates" I guess it should be " NEVER FLY EMIRATES"
I suppose I agree with just about everyone who replied to this post (for a change ). We flew Emirates and our experience was excellent. We were a bit put-out at the stop-over in Singapore as this was not mentioned anywhere, but other than that we could not complain and have in fact recommended them highly to our friends and family.

I like JTL's idea for a weighbridge, but thought that American airlines were going to start charging overweight people for the extra seat (or part thereof) that they occupied two years ago already. I guess that never happened.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

cul8rm8e will become famous soon enoughcul8rm8e will become famous soon enough

Just curious! are you saying that you leftitems from your luggage at the side of a bin in the airport and it was OK?

i find that very strange, security wise that is shocking! how on earth were they to know what was left behind, you could have left anything there ( you know what i mean)

getting backto the 8KG overweight, i dont see why there should be any acceptions on this! and i flew with Emirates just recently with my partner and 2 kids and have never in my life had a more relaxing experience in flying,they were absolutely brilliant with all of us, they couldnt do enough.

SO, i will always look to fly with EMIRATES whenever ihave the choice

just my 2p worth

helloo guys
Old May 8th 2005, 1:02 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by G'Day
I suppose I agree with just about everyone who replied to this post (for a change ).
Just about everyone, make sure I'm an exception I think emirates are a lousy airline, and will be steering clear of them as much as possible - however, thats nothing to do with baggage, thats to do with lousy customer service on a flight I did with them.

I do agree about the baggage thing - many friends in the airline world, lots of flying experience, and I'm a pilot myself, so I agree with Boomerang when he says its a very complex issue - like a balancing act working out how much of everything you can take. On my sole Emirates experience I remember watching an Emirates girl at the gate arguing with a man of Middle Eastern appearance who couldn't understand why she would not let him take a computer monitor - large one, not even flat screen - on board as hand luggage (as well as his 2 large bags). When she said it could fall on someone he said perhaps she could arrange for it to be placed on an empty seat then.......

Last edited by Pollyana; May 8th 2005 at 1:04 am.
Old May 8th 2005, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Hi

I have to say that when I emigrated out here, we had previous arranged double baggage allowance for the three of us - therefore 120kg.

However, when emigrating it is amazing how quickly the weight adds up. Despite looking up on Emirates website that we were entitled to have golf clubs to 10kg and dive equip to 15kg for free - we were still over. Mainly because I was bringing over 2 computers and a shed load of my business paperwork over.

Anyway cutting a long story short, our baggage was about 10kg over (excluing the dive and golf equip), plus we had put so much in our hand luggage (as we assumed they didnt weight them) that the 3 hand luggages were 11 kg, 14 kg and 18 kg!! The check-in woman managed to wangle the 10kg over in the hold baggage as 'dive equip' and just told us to make the hand luggage "look light"

We spent the following 30 mins throught customs carrying 18kg rucksacs on one shoulder pretending they were light.

Anyway, the moral to my story is that we were f**king lucky!! :-) No but seriously, we got it through because we werent arsey - we were friendly chatty etc. There was a couple next to us who kicked off and the woman made them empty their suitcase and told them that if they move it to their hand luggage she would know and throw them off the plane because she was manning the gate. Basically, if you are over, just be as nice as you possibly can and you never know you may just get away with it!!
Old May 8th 2005, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Might be worth remembering that Heathrow - and possibly Gatwick - have offices in the termianls for Excess Baggage Co. If you do find you are overweight, take out the escess, then when the rest is checked in, go buy another bag and check it in with Excess Baggage - send it air freight and it should arrive within a couple of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.