Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Never been to Aus

Never been to Aus

Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice
Default Never been to Aus

Hi guys,
This forum was recommended to us by all our good friends form the Florida days forum, or maybe they just wanted to get rid of us

My wife and I are planing to move to Brisbane early next year, our plans to immigrate to Florida fell through when our eldest daughter changed her mind at the last minute and scuppered our plans, she is now 18 and has left home so where off.
We have never been to Australia and don't plan on visiting before we go, this maybe the wrong way to do things but life is short so we thought what the hell! lets take a chance and have a big adventure.
We spent 2 years and £1,000's travelling to Florida researching areas, schools, cost of living, driving, crime, taxes, rules and regulations etc, etc, for what? just to quit in the final leg.

We will be travelling on a student visa as my wife has been offered a place at The University of The Sunshine Coast to complete her accountancy degree, she is also applying to the Gold Coast University as we are undecided where we want to live, I want the Gold coast because I plan on buying some holiday rental homes, we have one by Disney in Florida.

From our research so far Australia and especially the Brisbane area is way better that the Orlando, Tampa area of Florida so it's Ausy or bust.

We hope to be taking an active interest in your excellent forum and no doubt have loads of questions. I have posted some more stuff in my profile.
Thankyou for reading.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Never been to Aus

Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place

You'll find that lots of people have moved here without having visited first. We almost did it and but for a delay in the visa process, we would have done.

Good luck.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hi there

we have been to oz on a rekkie, but on hindsight should have listened to what everyone else said about the place (its great, fantastic etc) and saved ourselves 7k

We are off in september to brisbane area and i think if you did a poll most people have gone out without a prior visit. I'd be interested to see if there is any difference in peoples ability to settle based on wether they did a trip or not, I doubt it!

Good luck, might see you there!!

Beth
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

doria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2ndchancebritts
Hi guys,
This forum was recommended to us by all our good friends form the Florida days forum, or maybe they just wanted to get rid of us

My wife and I are planing to move to Brisbane early next year, our plans to immigrate to Florida fell through when our eldest daughter changed her mind at the last minute and scuppered our plans, she is now 18 and has left home so where off.
We have never been to Australia and don't plan on visiting before we go, this maybe the wrong way to do things but life is short so we thought what the hell! lets take a chance and have a big adventure.
We spent 2 years and £1,000's travelling to Florida researching areas, schools, cost of living, driving, crime, taxes, rules and regulations etc, etc, for what? just to quit in the final leg.

We will be travelling on a student visa as my wife has been offered a place at The University of The Sunshine Coast to complete her accountancy degree, she is also applying to the Gold Coast University as we are undecided where we want to live, I want the Gold coast because I plan on buying some holiday rental homes, we have one by Disney in Florida.

From our research so far Australia and especially the Brisbane area is way better that the Orlando, Tampa area of Florida so it's Ausy or bust.

We hope to be taking an active interest in your excellent forum and no doubt have loads of questions. I have posted some more stuff in my profile.
Thankyou for reading.
Hello there, we are doing the same: never been there before, but moving to Brisbane in a few months time. Can't wait. Still have to find jobs, schools, accommodation... don't know where to start first.
Good luck to you... and us,
Doria
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:22 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by doria
Hello there, we are doing the same: never been there before, but moving to Brisbane in a few months time. Can't wait. Still have to find jobs, schools, accommodation... don't know where to start first.
Good luck to you... and us,
Doria

you're not alone doria, we're going to sunshine coast in july ( if we ever get shot of this house ), having never been to aus before
Still got to arrange all the stuff you mentioned, but we're all so excited, 3yr old keeps asking "are we going to straylea now" , and 6yr old asked the other day if the schools in australia have desks to sit at and a room to eat dinner in???

good luck to all

tracey x
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice2ndchancebritts is just really nice

From looking at other posts moving without a rekkie is the only way to go if you want a great adventure. I admire anybody willing to take the chance and follow there dreams in this way, after all that's the way it was done in the past.
Good luck to us all
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

You won't be disappointed!!
I first came here on a student visa in 1998, stayed 3 years, went back to UK to sort things and came back here permanently last year (I now work at the University of the sunshine coast). It's one of the fastest growing areas, so if you are loking for property investments, I believe it's the place to be (not that I'm in the business).
Go for it!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kitty4
You won't be disappointed!!
I first came here on a student visa in 1998, stayed 3 years, went back to UK to sort things and came back here permanently last year (I now work at the University of the sunshine coast). It's one of the fastest growing areas, so if you are loking for property investments, I believe it's the place to be (not that I'm in the business).
Go for it!
We have never visited australia, but have decided this is the place for us. We have spent time researching areas but despite this have been advised to go across and spend a month looking at areas, checking out the climate etc. We already know that the idea of living in the Uk is out of the question for us(have been living in germany for last 6 years), and feel we would have a better chance of a life over in australia. How many other people have gone over blind and made a go of things? Did you move to one area and then find you had made a mistake and had to move to another area of the country?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Although I'm about as flag waving pro Australia as they come around here and wouldn't ever return to the UK even if you paid me, you should realise that there are people who hate living here and regret thier move.

I would not have sold everything, packed in my career, picked up and moved half way around the world without first having an idea of what I was getting into.

Fair play to the people that do mind . Financial considerations aside, it just certainly would be too bigger step for me to have done blind.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
Although I'm about as flag waving pro Australia as they come around here and wouldn't ever return to the UK even if you paid me, you should realise that there are people who hate living here and regret thier move.

I would not have sold everything, packed in my career, picked up and moved half way around the world without first having an idea of what I was getting into.

Fair play to the people that do mind . Financial considerations aside, it just certainly would be too bigger step for me to have done blind.
now i have lived in the uk for the majority of my life, spent 6 years away. i go back for the holiday season ie. christmas and then spend the next two months trying to catch up on what it cost me. i have seen there is life outside the uk, i am up for the adventure and can treat it as one.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion

We have been active on the Florida Days forum for a few years and have learned that you can rekkie until your blue in the face, you can dot all the I's and cross all the T's research every conceivable eventuality spend years getting your visa, move into a lovely home in a great neighbourhood with good schools have opportunities coming our of the wazoo and still want to return to the UK.
I believe just like the USA or anywhere you are going to love it or hate it no mater how well you prepare the ground, so I'm going to save time and money and just go for it, and I can't wait
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:31 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

With attitudes like that you cant fail to enjoy Australia. It is different and it isnt like anywhere else in the world. Its frustrating sometimes with the red tape and laid back attitude, its awesome in other respects. But as your obviously up for the adventure and determined to make a go of it - I'm sure that it will be for you as it has been for many others before...simply great!

Gluck!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

doria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by want2bthere
you're not alone doria, we're going to sunshine coast in july ( if we ever get shot of this house ), having never been to aus before
Still got to arrange all the stuff you mentioned, but we're all so excited, 3yr old keeps asking "are we going to straylea now" , and 6yr old asked the other day if the schools in australia have desks to sit at and a room to eat dinner in???

good luck to all

tracey x
lets stay in touch tracey, maybe we can meet for a pint there. We should be there in September ;-)
Doria
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2ndchancebritts
We have been active on the Florida Days forum for a few years and have learned that you can rekkie until your blue in the face, you can dot all the I's and cross all the T's research every conceivable eventuality spend years getting your visa, move into a lovely home in a great neighbourhood with good schools have opportunities coming our of the wazoo and still want to return to the UK.
I believe just like the USA or anywhere you are going to love it or hate it no mater how well you prepare the ground, so I'm going to save time and money and just go for it, and I can't wait
Nice attitude, good luck to ya!

(edit) I'd never been before either but I came out to marry my Aussie wife ... now if I'd've only done some more reccying on the wife ...

Cheers,
Matt
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

We are moving to the Gold Coast in May on a student visa, not lived there before but have spent lots of time in Oz, lived in Sydney and Brisbane before. We love the place and are willing to give up equity in our house and good jobs to start again...

Good luck to you

Est x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.