Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Negativeness.....

Negativeness.....

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:37 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Negativeness.....

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think the nice things about Australia make the nastier bits stick out more. It's very surreal.

Look at UK TV programming which has as it subject matter not Middle England murders in Cotswold villages and you see a suburban 3 bed semi estate with chavs and similar problems and no weather to make up for it. Look at the Bill and I see crap housing in crap S London dullness all around. This is hardly John Major's dream of maids cycling to mass lol! (Remember!)

The best bits of both countries are great. If moving from one to the other means you can go from an average area to a great area then do it.
I lived in the UK for 32 years so my own personal opinion is that the country sucks in many ways. I really miss the geography....but not the climate.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 2:44 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
If we can't talk about that which pisses us off, what is the effing point of having a forum?
Agreed.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Exile]
Originally Posted by islandmom

Thank you islandmom

I guess that's what I'm trying to say: there are different kinds of whingers, and sometimes we all get tarred with the same brush

I had lived abroad for many years before I came to Perth, so I'm not one to drone on about not being able to find the right kind of piccalilli. But that doesn't mean that there are not more serious issues at play in the background, and particular problems about living here that we should be able to discuss.

But these debates just end up becoming polarized, and people who post negative comments tend to be grouped together and ridiculed as "inadequate", "haters", or whatever. After all, it's easy for the insecure to attack the person, rather than to accept the uncomfortable truth that, in many cases, they may have a valid point.

Sensible post as always.

Can never understand the name calling, nasty messages, insults and slanging that happens when somebody posts a valid discussion point.

Insecurity about the move is somewhat understandable but some of the nastiest little personalities come out from those who claim to be the happiest with their decision, why so nasty then.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:53 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich]
Originally Posted by Exile

Sensible post as always.

Can never understand the name calling, nasty messages, insults and slanging that happens when somebody posts a valid discussion point.
This happens because people don't read a thread properly, they just scan it so don't pick up humour/nuances/sadness etc and jump in. I personally get really peed off when someone posts something negative and it becomes a national problem. Someone might complain that a government official was inadequate for their particular query. That's fine (the statement, not the being inadequate ) but when that becomes "all government officials in all of Australia are crap" it's little wonder that people bite back.

I have given up posting when I have had brilliant service, firstly because it has happened every single time I have needed something since being here and also because it's happened to me, but doesn't happen to everyone so I don't want a thread to fall into the trap that sounds like everything is perfect when it isn't.
I think this is sad for those still in the UK who need and want to hear the good and the bad, but I'm damned if I'm going to allow myself to have people telling me I'm talking bow locks when they don't know me - strangely enough that pisses me off
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=moneypen20]
Originally Posted by jad n rich
Someone might complain that a government official was inadequate for their particular query. That's fine (the statement, not the being inadequate ) but when that becomes "all government officials in all of Australia are crap" it's little wonder that people bite back.
Even when someone makes it clear it's a 'one-off', the debate always has to 'widen' out of control.

People seem to fail to switch contexts or levels of granuality and that's impossible without a 'chairperson'(!) steering the discussion, like your education post Jad. Hence why internet forums are bad for debate other than they do encourage it.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=moneypen20]
but when that becomes "all government officials in all of Australia are crap" it's little wonder that people bite back.
98% are crap.....See.....objective....
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=moneypen20]
This happens because people don't read a thread properly, they just scan it so don't pick up humour/nuances/sadness etc and jump in. I personally get really peed off when someone posts something negative and it becomes a national problem.
Agreed. I can't understand why people become so personal and nasty at such minor issues either. And when the title of the thread is "What you don't like about Oz" what are we expected to write - a nice list of all the things that we love about the place?

Sometimes when people are sad and lonely and things are not going right, they find comfort in having a good old moan to others who are in the same position. After all, they can't pop down to their friends and family to whinge, and often the moaner is trying desperately to remain positive for the family who they live with, so coming onto a forum like this is the only outlet that they have. When major things are going wrong, people can become negative about things that don't matter at all, even stupid silly things that they normally wouldn't think twice about.

I agree that it is about attitude but some people can deal with moving to the other side of the world better than others can. Some people have problems that others dont. We are all different and deal with things in our own way and if having a bit of a whinge helps then I can't see the problem. Should all the people who love the place be slated for saying how they feel? Should all the people who moan about the UK be silenced? Surely it's good to have both positive and negative threads. After all - life is about positives and negatives, ups and downs etc.

To all you people who are happy with your lives in a new country, I am so pleased for you, but please show a little compassion for those who it hasn't worked out for. Because despite their moaning, most of them I'm sure, will be working their backsides off to try to do something about it, not just sitting whinging.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:14 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
If you've only ever lived in two countries and something in one of the countries displeases you then it can be argued that from the disgruntled's point of view the experience appears to be unique. We all know that it is HIGHLY unlikely to be the case but without an informed opinion on other countries what's a poster to do when drawing comparisons between two countries? Maybe people reading the post simply infer that the OP is claiming the experience to be a unique one?

I complained about quality in this country but at no point did I make the claim that this is the only place in the world that suffers this problem. I actually qualified my "winge" with the fact that otherwise I love Australia.

It's "swings and roundabouts" and a matter of perspective.

I am not naive enough to think that I've only ever experienced issues here in Australia but I feel at this point that whilst the UK has problems of much higher severity in one area (i.e. murders) conversely Australia has certain problems that seem to be more acute than their British equivalent.

I think that if I am qualifying my rant and rave with statements like "I actually love Australia otherwise" I think that I am providing a fair and balanced perspective based upon my own PERSONAL experiences.

If we can't talk about that which pisses us off, what is the effing point of having a forum? Also, how can we put right the things that we find are annoying when they are completely out of our control? Complaining about something doesn't mean that it's obligatory to provide a panacea to the problem. It would be nice if we could but realistically, how likely is this?
Thank you for expanding on the final point of my last post.

As I said previously "I'm not saying these things should not be discussed - I'm saying that they are not uniquely Australian, these are things that also happen in the UK".

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 8:27 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

My turn again please!!

I am not saying that complaining about issues/problems is wrong....that is in itself good...in the sense you are doing something about it if you are going down the right channels...my opening post was in relation to the whingers...those who moan,...and then don't do anything postive about it....

Someone said about friends...and not being able to go down the road for a moan .....why not?? Ok, if you have only just arrived in the country, and have no friends.....but really it is your responsibilty to integrate yourself, and make friends....otherwise you are really in for a shit time..

I am NOT saying that it is all rosy and perfect here....I never once said that....but to be honest...if you are going to moan because Coles have the audacity to not sell British sausages....then you have a long way to go.

Things can be good here, and things can be bad .....but my advice is to get on with it...make the most of the good - and DO something about the bad.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Shite.....have you seen the price of lettuce ?

Glad I don't like the stuff.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:47 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Negativeness.....

Originally Posted by CasG
if you are going to moan because Coles have the audacity to not sell British sausages....then you have a long way to go.
They dont?

OMG. That's it. I'm not coming.

ps I want to go to the shops barefoot with my wee ones in their pyjamas please - I love new experiences!

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
They dont?

OMG. That's it. I'm not coming.

ps I want to go to the shops barefoot with my wee ones in their pyjamas please - I love new experiences!

Buzzy
You want to put your wee one in pyjamas ??!!!! :scared: You certainly won't do it my Coles !!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Negativeness.....

You want to put your wee one in pyjamas ??!!!! :scared: You certainly won't do it my Coles !!
That'll be the kids Cas, not whatever you were thinking of.

Buzzy
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
That'll be the kids Cas, not whatever you were thinking of.

Buzzy
I know that ...kids in pyjamas scare me :scared:

Old Oct 23rd 2006, 11:00 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

I know that ...kids in pyjamas scare me :scared:

And wee ones in pyjamas scare you even more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.