Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need some shipping advice.....

Need some shipping advice.....

Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Need some shipping advice.....

We are not taking the whole house. Leather suite, kids bikes, tumble dryer and about 10 boxes of bits and bobs. glasses pictures, that sort of thing.

Who should we use?
Have been given an auto-move address in London. they priced me £1500 for a 20ft?

Only trouble is they didnt seem to know a lot about what we can and cant take!!

I do know they are ok, as a friend of Micks used them, but it doesnt `feel` right to me.
Each time I ask them anything they advise me to cotact the High Commission. tell you the truth, I cant be arsed. I have too many other things to do rather than running around clarifying things with third parties.
All I want is to use someone I know is just gonna do the job, without taking the piss and charging the earth.

Thanks all
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Marakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the roughMarakai is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Need some shipping advice.....

Originally posted by sj oldfield
We are not taking the whole house. Leather suite, kids bikes, tumble dryer and about 10 boxes of bits and bobs. glasses pictures, that sort of thing.
Oh dear, all my brain picked up was "leather suits" and "bikes".

... which created a very interesting image of you in my mind, let me tell you.

Sowwy!
Mike
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sandra

I e-mailed John Mason with lots of questions the other day and they answered everyone of them within 48 hours, I also got an online quote which was a similar price to yours.
www.johnmason.com

Hope this helps

Lindsey
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

She's got two tats Mike, you could be right there

To be honest Sandra, the packing thing isn't that complicated. You can find out quite easily what can't go, or has to be in AQIS inspection boxes. Then you have to make sure that the box contents are labelled, plus reference them in your list for AQIS. It's not rocket science and the deciding what to take bit / chucking out / cleaning seems to take the longest.

We got the boxes ourselves and they came the second day after we ordered them. I can put more info up and links if you want them.

I think the main thing to check is whether they are a reputable company, e.g. are they part of any organisations / do they have quality assurance etc.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

PS No way would you need a 20ft container with that amount.
Old Jul 5th 2004, 9:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Find out if the company subcontract, or do they ship it themselves. My problems came because the removers subcontracted the actual shipping to ***** ******** - removers washed their hands of it, and the shippers wouldn't talk direct to me.
Also who are their agents this end?
Old Jul 6th 2004, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anglo pacific were pretty good, full house was packed up in two days. only had to supervise.

They told us what we couldn't bring and what would need to be cleaned.

They did let themselves down a little bit by forgetting to put our stuff on the correct ship though.

When it finally did arrive the only things held back were riding boots and hat and a old smelly pair of trainers.

tetley