Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

need some encouragment

need some encouragment

Old Oct 16th 2010, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all
Default need some encouragment

talk about indecisive!..

We are so fortunate..renting out our home to good long term renters who we know, managing to cover all our storage, rental and letting fees as well as generating an income (we have no mortgage), have kiwi passports so no visa hassles, have a job lined up in Rockingham and accommodation waiting for us with our only daughter who's been in Perth 3 yrs now and settled..yet am struck with angst,indecision,doubt and feel like i just want run away from these feelings and despite having nothing to lose.

My wife and i have visited Perth 4 times now and really enjoyed our time there.
Our daugher, 23 is talking of starting a family in 3 yrs or so and we hate the thought of being remote grandparents., so feel we need to do this now.

Most people in my position would likely be buzzing at this opportunity but as the time draws nearer I just have this constant gnawing feeling of apprehension,doubt etc which is casting a big cloud over what i feel, should be seen as a great adventure.

I felt exactly the same when we shipped out to NZ in 2003 and feel a right wuss posting on the forum to be honest.
I guess its nice to know that there are many other folk in the same boat and feeling the same way - "were all in this together" kind of thing.

My wife is totally positive about the whole thing and as we've said, we'll give it a minimum 2 yrs and if things dont work out we have our home to come back to and furniture in storage..

feel free to give me a kick in the pants!!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Default Re: need some encouragment

Hi there

A kick in the pants coming your way!!!!!

What have you got to lose? Sounds like you have all posts covered with the finances!

Life's for living - go for it! What's the worst that can happen? You don't like it? If that's the case you can come back.

How great that you will also be near your daughter and grand children.

Good luck
Old Oct 16th 2010, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you need a kick in the pants, I think that it is normal to feel apprehensive about such a life change. Of course some people don't feel at all apprehensive and can get on that plane and not look back, but there are plenty like yourself too.

Our move was quite a rush in the end, we came over to validate visas, found jobs, returned to the UK to pack up and get back over here. I barely really had time to think about it, but there were fleeting moments when I thought what on earth are we doing, we have a good life here, why rock the boat etc. Fortunately I didn't have enough time to sit down and analyse too much!

One of the things we agreed from the outset was that we would come back if one of us wants to, subject to giving it a fair crack of the whip timewise. It sounds like you are in the situation where you would be able to make that choice to without facing financial ruin in the process so I think you should stop worrying, don't overthink it and make the move determined to make it work.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

majohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to allmajohnno is a name known to all

Thanks guys

I actually was going to withdraw my thread as i felt a tad embarrassed when i read it..just felt a real wobble yesterday!! .

Although i love England, i do feel now that we may have saved a lot of hassle by giving Oz a go on the way back from NZ back in 2008.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people get the wobbles in the last few months, it is after all a huge move! You certainly should not be embarassed about it.
You are in a great position if things don't work out in the long term but in the short term, go for it & have fun, life is too short for anything else!
Good luck
Old Oct 19th 2010, 12:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by majohnno
just felt a real wobble yesterday!!.
Natural enough.

If you still have doubts follow the words of wisdom from the green & white Buddha by using a coin to decide your fate.

Heads you stay.....tails you go.

Now toss the coin.

Are you happy with the result?

If you are, feel content.
If not, you know what the answer should be.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

More likely a case of.. heads I stay and tails??..well the wifes going come what may,lol!
Old Oct 20th 2010, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by majohnno
talk about indecisive!..

We are so fortunate..renting out our home to good long term renters who we know, managing to cover all our storage, rental and letting fees as well as generating an income (we have no mortgage), have kiwi passports so no visa hassles, have a job lined up in Rockingham and accommodation waiting for us with our only daughter who's been in Perth 3 yrs now and settled..yet am struck with angst,indecision,doubt and feel like i just want run away from these feelings and despite having nothing to lose.

My wife and i have visited Perth 4 times now and really enjoyed our time there.
Our daugher, 23 is talking of starting a family in 3 yrs or so and we hate the thought of being remote grandparents., so feel we need to do this now.

Most people in my position would likely be buzzing at this opportunity but as the time draws nearer I just have this constant gnawing feeling of apprehension,doubt etc which is casting a big cloud over what i feel, should be seen as a great adventure.

I felt exactly the same when we shipped out to NZ in 2003 and feel a right wuss posting on the forum to be honest.
I guess its nice to know that there are many other folk in the same boat and feeling the same way - "were all in this together" kind of thing.

My wife is totally positive about the whole thing and as we've said, we'll give it a minimum 2 yrs and if things dont work out we have our home to come back to and furniture in storage..

feel free to give me a kick in the pants!!
Exactly how I felt 8 months ago when I left UK for OZ andhow I imagine most people feel. I questioned myself if it was worse the hassle and realised my life wasnt that bad in the UK. I had to give it a go or I would have regretted not going. Unfortunately I am returning as it doesnt feel right here for me or my son. I also have a house and a job to return to so had a bit of a safety net. Cant really afford to return so soon but I am not enjoying it here and it wasnt for me but thats not to say I may end up being a ping pong pomm in te future
You have the added benefit of your daughter being there so that will certainly help you.
I was constantly asked before I left the UK if I was excited and looking forward to it but for some reason I wasnt because I think I was worried in making the wrong decision. I am glad I did it and I am sure you will not regret it and I hope it works out for you as everyone is different. Worse case scenerio you come back. At least you have the opportunity to do that. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

Thing is i was exactly the same back in 2003 moving over to nz and in some ways i guess it was even more stressfull then as we were moving lock stock and barrel so had no escape plans should it have all gone wrong!

Wife and i have said 2 yrs minimum and review then. i just hate the feeling of uprooting again at 47 (not too old!) but want to give it a go for our daughters sake as well before its too late.

Thanks all for your input