Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need some advice from you guys!

Need some advice from you guys!

Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Rachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud ofRachelle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Need some advice from you guys!

Hi Lindsey!!

Have Christmas at home but come out here for New Year's eve and see in 2008 - like you say New Year New start!

If we'd been sensible about it we would probably have waited a few months after our house sold to save up (while OT was on good money!) but when you've been waiting to get here as long as we have who's sensible!

We've been here 8 weeks now and don't regret not bringing more money with us at all. So what if we have to rent for a bit longer while we save at least we're here at last!

That's my opinion anyway!!! Hope everything goes well with the sale and it goes as smoothly as possible. (say hi to Andy!)

Rach

Should we have christmas here (we are both nurses so the chances of us both having christmas off is slim - ever again!). New Year mew start and so on and so forth - Feel really stressed - need advice and karma

Lindsey[/QUOTE]
Old Jul 20th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelle
Hi Lindsey!!

Have Christmas at home but come out here for New Year's eve and see in 2008 - like you say New Year New start!

If we'd been sensible about it we would probably have waited a few months after our house sold to save up (while OT was on good money!) but when you've been waiting to get here as long as we have who's sensible!

We've been here 8 weeks now and don't regret not bringing more money with us at all. So what if we have to rent for a bit longer while we save at least we're here at last!

That's my opinion anyway!!! Hope everything goes well with the sale and it goes as smoothly as possible. (say hi to Andy!)

Rach

Should we have christmas here (we are both nurses so the chances of us both having christmas off is slim - ever again!). New Year mew start and so on and so forth - Feel really stressed - need advice and karma

Lindsey
[/QUOTE]
Id say have christmas where you are. We did the last christmas thing, made it an enormous affair with friends and family. It was an amazing and brilliant thing, Im so glad we did it. If we had to leave all over again Id do it just the same.

We flew out on the the 30 December. We arrived on the 1st of January and celebrated New Years Eve on the plane.

our motto was

New Start,
New Year,
New Country,
New Life.

Lisa.xx
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:27 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurselindsey
Hi there just wanted to pick your brains. We have had our visa since May and as of 2 weeks ago we think we have sold our house (hubby says its not sold until it's signed - and I'm usually the pessimistic one). The decision we have to make is do we go once house sale is completed or wait until first week in january and have last christmas here with family. We have two children aged 5 and 2 - our eldest will start in year one after the summer hols.

We are headed to Adelaide and I believe house prices are rising there (hopefully not on the Perth scale of things). So waiting for a few months (we can probably save £2-3k) or will the house prices have risen by that amount so making us no better off?

Will the children acclimatise to the weather better if we don't arrive in the middle of Summer?

Lindsey
Well flights from now on are on the increase! I would wait until January and have a last christmas with family and a new fresh start in a new fresh year!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:44 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by valerie71andrew
i would go before the little one makes good friends.
Hi Valerie,

Sorry to jump this thread are you settling in ok/

Cheers Carol
Old Sep 19th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

We have been wondering this. Kids want to stay till after christmas but I think that will be too traumatic for them. I can imagine it being too hard for everyone knowing that you will be leaving very soon.

If the house sale goes ahead quickly then we will be off asap I think. I can't stand the hanging on as it will make leaving harder.

Mandy
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:21 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dave7370
We are in exactly the same position (bar the house not yet sold), and although we feel a little guilty for taking our son far away from his grandparents before even his first birthday, it is our life and staying in the UK any longer than than we have to is just another waste of more time.

We've waited the best part of 2 and half years to get this far so the sooner the house goes the happier we'll be. Waiting around for till Xmas just for one day seems pointless. We want a new life in Oz so whats the point in waiting any longer than we have to. Granted, the house may not sell and we could very well be here till then, but if it does sell then we're off.

Everybody's idea's and lives are different and if spending Xmas with your family is of the utmost importance to you then stay until then and enjoy it if that what makes you happy. At the end of the day, it's your life, lead it as you see fit and don't be swayed by other people.
It's amazing what difference a few weeks make. Our house is now due to complete in 2 weeks, we're moving into the father in-laws and...... we're now staying for Xmas and New Year. The extra money from no mortgage and bills etc will come in handy and although I said I wanted to get there sooner as I've waited so long, I now see a few months won't hurt and I now think a New Year = New start! So bring it on!

Call me a hypocrite... (makes raspberry noises)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:13 pm
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't you go before Christmas but not start work until the new year. Problem solved. You both have a lovely time to spend with your daughter before she starts school. As you say it might be the last Christmas you have together.