Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Professional Engineers/FEA/Design/Automotive/Degree Qualified

Professional Engineers/FEA/Design/Automotive/Degree Qualified

Old Sep 15th 2007, 7:00 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice
Default Professional Engineers/FEA/Design/Automotive/Degree Qualified

Hi,
A very specific question to Engineers really, thought maybe best to post it here anyway, so thank you, to anyone taking the time to reply.

My other half is a degree qualified Mechanical/Manufacturing FEA/Design Engineer (CAD experience, Hands on experience, Design Catia/Finite Element Analysis experience); primarily with around sixteen year’s office/engineering experience within the automotive/aerospace sector in the United Kingdom.

Lost me, but this is what he tells me?

My question relates to his status as an engineer within Australia on arrival. He has gained his visa as a second applicant as I am a nurse, so i was the primary applicant for the visa. So he has not carried out any skills or qualifications assessment for the visa purposes, as it was not required or necessary.

Would it be advantageous for him in any way to have his qualifications assessed byEngineers Australia by such as to be recognised in Australia, and would it benefit him in any way to gain membership to Engineers Australia, the
organisation which mirrors the one here in the UK (Institute of Engineering
and Technology) which he is a full member.

Would it make it any easier to gain employment in Australia as an engineer,
then obviously he will look at the cost in return to the benefits of qualification assessment or membership?

He will be looking to gain employment within the manufacturing/engineering
sector in either the Queensland/Brisbane area or the Western/Perth area of
Australia. Are there are any pre-requisites prior to traveling to Australia;
He would appreciate any help or guidance so to aid him in gaining a full time post on arrival, thanks for any replies.

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Sep 15th 2007 at 7:48 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:40 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Engineers/FEA/Design/Automotive/Degree Qualified

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Hi,
A very specific question to Engineers really, thought maybe best to post it here anyway, so thank you, to anyone taking the time to reply.

My other half is a degree qualified Mechanical/Manufacturing FEA/Design Engineer (CAD experience, Hands on experience, Design Catia/Finite Element Analysis experience); primarily with around sixteen year’s office/engineering experience within the automotive/aerospace sector in the United Kingdom.

My question relates to his status as an engineer within Australia on arrival. He has gained his visa as a second applicant as I am a nurse, so i was the primary applicant for the visa. So he has not carried out any skills or qualifications assessment for the visa purposes, as it was not required or necessary.

Would it be advantageous for him in any way to have his qualifications assessed byEngineers Australia by such as to be recognised in Australia, and would it benefit him in any way to gain membership to Engineers Australia, the

then obviously he will look at the cost in return to the benefits of qualification assessment or membership?

He would appreciate any help or guidance so to aid him in gaining a full time post on arrival, thanks for any replies.
I'm MIET as well and tell him not to bother with Engineers Australia - a more up themselves, precious organisation I have yet to meet.
There is such a demand in Qld and Perth for engineers that there is no need to get assessed by EA. His degree/MIET is all that he needs and going for EA is a waste of time, money and effort IMO.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm MIET as well and tell him not to bother with Engineers Australia - a more up themselves, precious organisation I have yet to meet.
There is such a demand in Qld and Perth for engineers that there is no need to get assessed by EA. His degree/MIET is all that he needs and going for EA is a waste of time, money and effort IMO.
I'm about to apply for Eng Tech membership with EA, using Sydney Accord - your OH should get recognition using Washington Accord if he's CEng in UK.
Contact local EA offices once you arrive, should be fairly simple. Check the website for info on what he'll need to send to EA - Copy of degree and membershop details of UK Institute etc.
Amazulu may be correct about waste of effort etc, but it is tax deductable.
My boss is EA member and reckons they are way behind UK for registration,standards etc. but they can only get better.
HTH
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:26 am
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by njk435
I'm about to apply for Eng Tech membership with EA, using Sydney Accord - your OH should get recognition using Washington Accord if he's CEng in UK.
Contact local EA offices once you arrive, should be fairly simple. Check the website for info on what he'll need to send to EA - Copy of degree and membershop details of UK Institute etc.
Amazulu may be correct about waste of effort etc, but it is tax deductable.
My boss is EA member and reckons they are way behind UK for registration,standards etc. but they can only get better.
HTH

Firstly, thankyou, to you both for taking the time to reply.

Was not sure i would get one, as it being so specific.

In regards to MIET, he is not CEng or IEng, he never bothered, there was always some problem with him doing his degree part-time, there was shed loads of paperwork so he is just a Full Member. For some reason, his degree is Sydney Accord, not Washington, number of modules apparently, or type of modules. Had this out with IIE, IEE and now MIET, and still they say they will not do Washington Accord, only Sydney Accord. But it does not matter now.

Is it worth keeping your MIET membership up once you move to OZ?

So a little conflicting views, is it best to get his skills assessed by Engineers Australia as Sydney Accord, and is it worth joining Engineers Australia?

Or not to bother, employers do not bother with the organisation?

What do employers look for as an Engineer? Briefly he has:

1) Four year apprenticeship as a toolmaker City and Guilds

2) HND Mechanical Engineering

3) BEng(Hon's) Mechanical Manufacture Systems Engineering

4) Sixteen years experience, most recently in CAD/Some FEA/Catia/Project Engineering.

Do you think Perth or Brisbane would be the place where his skills would be most in demand?

Thanks to the both of you.

P.S.

Would you reccommend any Enginering Recruitment Agencies to use in Australia, prior to arriving, just to introduce him, and spec out his CV?

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Sep 16th 2007 at 9:34 am.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 11:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, thankyou, to you both for taking the time to reply.

Was not sure i would get one, as it being so specific.

In regards to MIET, he is not CEng or IEng, he never bothered, there was always some problem with him doing his degree part-time, there was shed loads of paperwork so he is just a Full Member. For some reason, his degree is Sydney Accord, not Washington, number of modules apparently, or type of modules. Had this out with IIE, IEE and now MIET, and still they say they will not do Washington Accord, only Sydney Accord. But it does not matter now.

Is it worth keeping your MIET membership up once you move to OZ?

So a little conflicting views, is it best to get his skills assessed by Engineers Australia as Sydney Accord, and is it worth joining Engineers Australia?

Or not to bother, employers do not bother with the organisation?

What do employers look for as an Engineer? Briefly he has:

1) Four year apprenticeship as a toolmaker City and Guilds

2) HND Mechanical Engineering

3) BEng(Hon's) Mechanical Manufacture Systems Engineering

4) Sixteen years experience, most recently in CAD/Some FEA/Catia/Project Engineering.

Do you think Perth or Brisbane would be the place where his skills would be most in demand?

Thanks to the both of you.

P.S.

Would you reccommend any Enginering Recruitment Agencies to use in Australia, prior to arriving, just to introduce him, and spec out his CV?
Unless he is going to go for CEng then I would not bother - and if IET will not recognise his degree then EA never will, they are far more anal than IET.
His background is fine for Aussie employers and he will be snapped up in Perth or Brisbane. Right now they are more worried about ability to do the job than letters after your name.
I've kept my MIET going. It's recognised here and they have branches here too. It's more prestigous than EA. Unless an employer specifically askes for it, then I would not bother with EA.
In Perth he should try the following agencies:
Technical Recruitment
Swan Recruitment
TAD Perth
Most other agencies are rubbish.

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 9:59 am
Banned

Unless he is going to go for CEng then I would not bother - and if IET will not recognise his degree then EA never will, they are far more anal than IET.
His background is fine for Aussie employers and he will be snapped up in Perth or Brisbane. Right now they are more worried about ability to do the job than letters after your name.
I've kept my MIET going. It's recognised here and they have branches here too. It's more prestigous than EA. Unless an employer specifically askes for it, then I would not bother with EA.
Technical Recruitment
Swan Recruitment
TAD Perth

Good luck.
Amazulu,
Thanks for taking the time to reply, i appreciate it very much. I will forward on your comments.

Do you think it is worth sending CV's out on spec before arriving, or just wait and apply on arrival?

Also is there much call for Engineers in either Perth or Brisbane which have automotive experience, essentially, manufacturing, CAD, Design etc?

It just, do they design and/or build cars there?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.jobsearch.com.au/
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Couldnt agree more, I have found however the EA, are trying to get into the market abit more and stamp their authority.

They are an anal, lot, but need identity, personally they need to recognise trades more, its not all about CEng and degree's, its about application and knowing about Engineering Principles, something the EA lacks, as its purely monetry and a paper work trail.

I am IEng status, and at the panel interview, the older established Engineers are seeing the skill shortages and experience gap wide.

I have been offered jobs in Perth and Brisbane, but I have noticed a few are now starting to push the EA recognition bit more now.

Technical Recruitment
Swan Recruitment
TAD Perth

Good luck.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 11:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by on a mission
Couldnt agree more, I have found however the EA, are trying to get into the market abit more and stamp their authority.

They are an anal, lot, but need identity, personally they need to recognise trades more, its not all about CEng and degree's, its about application and knowing about Engineering Principles, something the EA lacks, as its purely monetry and a paper work trail.

I am IEng status, and at the panel interview, the older established Engineers are seeing the skill shortages and experience gap wide.

I have been offered jobs in Perth and Brisbane, but I have noticed a few are now starting to push the EA recognition bit more now.
Could i ask, did you use an agency to find the roles you mentioned that you have been offered, or did you apply directly to the companies?

Would you recommend any agencies?

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Hi,

Well well, this is an interesting one, I have had more success, phoning direct, and avoiding agencies, as I dont believe recruitment (not all) agents, can sell your skills and experince aswell you can do yourself.

All the jobs I have been offered, and accepted were through my own application.

Agencies seem to give you shite all over the place, and dont push hard enough if you arent there, or willing to be there in 4 weeks. Remember agents are on commision and KPI's to get your name on their books.

I'd search on seek, and all the usual career websites on the internet, then phone the agents, personally I think the experince and skills you have are second to non and you will find a well paid job eventually when the time is right.

If its, automotive, you may have to go to where they manufacture cars, say, but can you diversify?

Last edited by on a mission; Sep 18th 2007 at 1:55 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by on a mission
Hi,

Well well, this is an interesting one, I have had more success, phoning direct, and avoiding agencies, as I dont believe recruitment (not all) agents, can sell your skills and experince aswell you can do yourself.

All the jobs I have been offered, and accepted were through my own application.

Agencies seem to give you shite all over the place, and dont push hard enough if you arent there, or willing to be there in 4 weeks. Remember agents are on commision and KPI's to get your name on their books.

I'd search on seek, and all the usual career websites on the internet, then phone the agents, personally I think the experince and skills you have are second to non and you will find a well paid job eventually when the time is right.

If its, automotive, you may have to go to where they manufacture cars, say, but can you diversify?
Thanks for the reply, maybe i will get him to wait until/if we get the visa, then decide. I understand what you are saying about agencies, the same applies to here in the UK.

Maybe it is best to get settled then look for a role, its just difficult, as i can work in either Brisbane or Perth, but he just cannot decide between then two?

http://www.tad.com.au/

http://www.techresources.com.au/

http://www.swanpersonnel.com.au/

I am going to get him to spec his CV out to these three, see what kind of response we get?

Thanks to Amazulu for pointing me in this direction.

Thanks to you both
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Perth are crying out for experienced consulting engineers - dont have to go via agencies as they do very little for you until you are in the country and status of visa checked.
I would seriously recommend spending an hour on google.com.au for companies matching experience and give them a call direct. You will find very few companies will turn away your phone call - I know the engineering company I work for wouldnt - but they are an electrical engineering consultancy.
Crying out for skilled engineers here and the boom is booming!!
Good luck
Old Sep 19th 2007, 7:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Downies
Perth are crying out for experienced consulting engineers - dont have to go via agencies as they do very little for you until you are in the country and status of visa checked.
I would seriously recommend spending an hour on google.com.au for companies matching experience and give them a call direct. You will find very few companies will turn away your phone call - I know the engineering company I work for wouldnt - but they are an electrical engineering consultancy.
Crying out for skilled engineers here and the boom is booming!!
Good luck
Thanks, thanks very much,

Its just, can an engineer, primarily with automotive experience, in building cars, mainly the understructure, and body/superstructure, be able to migrate their skills to the skills required by employers in Australia?

I am not an engineer, but Australia seems to require, Civil, Electrical, Mining, engineering typo's? Is there a requirement for automotive/mechanical/manufacture typo's. Can the skills of these types be migrated, and/or are they needed?

I have seen some posts where guys have migrated to Australia, looking for work, some highly skilled, highly educated, and their skills background maybe are not needed or cannot be migrated?

Just interested in any experiences first hand, before i give him the good or bad news?

Again thanks.