Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In need of Karma...and heres why

In need of Karma...and heres why

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default In need of Karma...and heres why

Hi gang.....I have not posted for a while as my life is MANIC.

Having holidayed in Oz at easter......we set a timetable to make the move summer 2006.....say August. Well, recently we heard that the school we want our boys to go to is running out of places for our eldest...the school is private but fees are not too bad and our cousins kids go there and are very happy. So, we ended up calling the headmaster at 6am UK time for an interview.......including my 8 years old twins and my 10 year old.....all on the phone for an hour. All went well, but we need to be there to take up the places for start of school year in February 2006...........PANIC !. They are now oversubscribed and have a waiting list. If we don't take them up, he might not get in to this age group in this school in the future at all.

We just put the house on the market this week.....my wife had her long awaited operation last week (gall stone) and is at home recovering and now my son also needs an operation which I just wangled to be carried out next Monday due to a cancellation. Talk about stressful times..........this is it in bucket loads.

Now the reality of going is kicking in and not being prepared. The move will mostly be funded by the house sale, but I also have some endowments I could/will sell or cash in as that will provide some cash as well. These are with standard life and I was hoping to keep them until I get the free shares next year, but hey beggers can't be choosers. If I kept them and sold them later once in Oz, I think I would be taxed on this income anyway as an overseas investment......anyone know for certain?

My wife and I are now scared stiff of what we are doing to oursleves BUT we do believe it will be for a better life in the long run.

Furthermore, I had a 2 hour interview on the phone last week with an employment agency who is recruiting for a job that is right up my street in the area we want to move to...still waiting to hear if I will be asked to interview by the actual company....so fingers crossed.

Next manic thing is sorting out my wife and kids going out EARLY in mid January in time for school starting early February....with me staying here in UK to wrap up the final things, sort out the removals, sell the house, earn some money, etc etc etc.

I think I have well and truly boarded the rollercoaster but usually I enjoy such rides.......this one scares the living daylights out of me.

Now, pensions...........who knows for sure how long we have to transfer them?

Pass the brown trousers over here please..........and bike clips.

Tell me it will be worth it someone !!!!!!!

Last edited by Olibeneli; Nov 22nd 2005 at 9:28 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: In need of Karma...and heres why

Karma on it's way, sounds like you'll need it!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:21 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, you don't do things by halves do you? Karma on it's way to help you keep Kalmer !!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:31 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck!!!!! Where in Sussex are you and where are you heading?

Lucy
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Good luck!!!!! Where in Sussex are you and where are you heading?

Lucy
Currently in Burgess Hill..........going to a place around 90 minutes south of Sydney....nearest big town/city is Wollongong.

What about you ?...........why are you making this move?

I'm questioning myself now if this is all worth the stress and aggro.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Hi gang.....I have not posted for a while as my life is MANIC.

Having holidayed in Oz at easter......we set a timetable to make the move summer 2006.....say August. Well, recently we heard that the school we want our boys to go to is running out of places for our eldest...the school is private but fees are not too bad and our cousins kids go there and are very happy. So, we ended up calling the headmaster at 6am UK time for an interview.......including my 8 years old twins and my 10 year old.....all on the phone for an hour. All went well, but we need to be there to take up the places for start of school year in February 2006...........PANIC !. They are now oversubscribed and have a waiting list. If we don't take them up, he might not get in to this age group in this school in the future at all.

We just put the house on the market this week.....my wife had her long awaited operation last week (gall stone) and is at home recovering and now my son also needs an operation which I just wangled to be carried out next Monday due to a cancellation. Talk about stressful times..........this is it in bucket loads.

Now the reality of going is kicking in and not being prepared. The move will mostly be funded by the house sale, but I also have some endowments I could/will sell or cash in as that will provide some cash as well. These are with standard life and I was hoping to keep them until I get the free shares next year, but hey beggers can't be choosers. If I kept them and sold them later once in Oz, I think I would be taxed on this income anyway as an overseas investment......anyone know for certain?

My wife and I are now scared stiff of what we are doing to oursleves BUT we do believe it will be for a better life in the long run.

Furthermore, I had a 2 hour interview on the phone last week with an employment agency who is recruiting for a job that is right up my street in the area we want to move to...still waiting to hear if I will be asked to interview by the actual company....so fingers crossed.

Next manic thing is sorting out my wife and kids going out EARLY in mid January in time for school starting early February....with me staying here in UK to wrap up the final things, sort out the removals, sell the house, earn some money, etc etc etc.

I think I have well and truly boarded the rollercoaster but usually I enjoy such rides.......this one scares the living daylights out of me.

Now, pensions...........who knows for sure how long we have to transfer them?

Pass the brown trousers over here please..........and bike clips.

Tell me it will be worth it someone !!!!!!!

Good luck karma from canada sent!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:39 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Currently in Burgess Hill..........going to a place around 90 minutes south of Sydney....nearest big town/city is Wollongong.

What about you ?...........why are you making this move?

I'm questioning myself now if this is all worth the stress and aggro.

OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT!

We live in Angmering but my husband works in Burgess Hill! We're doing it because we can and we fancy an adventure. Never said we are going for good, who knows what the future holds for us. If we dont try we will forever regret though.

Lucy
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT!

We live in Angmering but my husband works in Burgess Hill! We're doing it because we can and we fancy an adventure. Never said we are going for good, who knows what the future holds for us. If we dont try we will forever regret though.

Lucy
Aha.....thought I had heard of you before.....does hubby work at the triangle?
My neighbours work there too.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

OF COURSE IT'S WORTH IT!

Lucy
Just recalled that you sent me some notes last June 2004.......you were waiting for your visaa and hoping for brisbane,......I see now you are going to adelaide?........cool.

Good luck with everything