Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Need a DVD Recorder?

Need a DVD Recorder?

Old May 16th 2005, 3:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a DVD Recorder?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes, Capalaba, they haven't built one at Victoria Point yet

I didn't get that model, I was persuaded to get a newer model with Progressive scan. Now I just have to work out how to get it up and running, and get the picture in picture bit going. I haven't even opened the box yet

There is too much choice these days

Don't forget to take your RACQ card (even though they don't look at it )
So which one did you get & what deal did you get on it?

Im still wondering whether to do it or not, we have a fairly good DVD player for the lounge room (multi region progressive scan etc) & a cheapo one ($69 LOL) for the kids, being able to record would be good, but I wonder what I would do with the one we have now .
Old May 16th 2005, 3:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi ABC
Thats good news!
You can record all me fav progs while we're on holiday then Cor thats a weight off me mind Now take it out of the BOX like a good boy

Gill

Before it comes out of the box, I need to work out a way to disguise it so my wife doesn't know what it is when she gets home

I did get the Saleman to confirm that it CANNOT record Home & Away or Big Brother

Old May 16th 2005, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Just as well I'm not into those two progs then isn't it - will be plenty of room for the rest

G
Old May 16th 2005, 3:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
So which one did you get & what deal did you get on it?

Im still wondering whether to do it or not, we have a fairly good DVD player for the lounge room (multi region progressive scan etc) & a cheapo one ($69 LOL) for the kids, being able to record would be good, but I wonder what I would do with the one we have now .
I went with the LG DR6921W at $349, as we have an LG video, and the remote can do both
This model seemed to do everything that the others did, so it came down to just having the one remote

I now have the same problem as you though. Where do I put it !!

We already have 2 DVD players, one being a damn expensive Pioneer that seems no better than a $69 Conia !! But it does have Karaoke features, which will soon be no good as my wife is bring a Karaoke Magic Microphone home soon !!

I think i'd better just hide it, till I decide what to do with it

Old May 16th 2005, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am holding out for the PVRs (personal video recorders) to come down in price. No need for DVDs unless you want the program for posterity. The programs are recorded to an internal HDD and the boxes act as a digital tv set top box. You can watch one program and record another or record 2 programs at once.

BTW to record a dvcam to a PC it is recommended you have at least 512mbs of RAM, a 7200rpm or better HDD and a firewire port.

Fast track me here ta Bondi, do you know how much stuffing around you have to do to record from one of those pvr's to a DVD or is it easy.

Tis a sad sad day, bp
Old May 16th 2005, 6:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Fast track me here ta Bondi, do you know how much stuffing around you have to do to record from one of those pvr's to a DVD or is it easy.

Tis a sad sad day, bp
Not tried or tested it but may invlolve a rip and burn process. The stuffing around would depend on the software supplied with the PVR.
Old May 16th 2005, 7:20 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

First thing.... don`t ever buy a Philips. I bought a dvdr890 a year or so ago... absolute faulty crap. Got it repaired 3x before I asked for my money back, and will never buy another Philips again (of anything). I had mine working properly for a total of about a month, and it was in repair for about 4 months.... and mine was a typical case... they had crappy lasers in there, which were replaced by other crappy lasers. Absolute rubbish Philips.

Good sites to check out for your research...
http://www.videohelp.com/ (there`s a dvd recorder section).

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103

I can`t confirm this but I think one of the reasons that dvd-recorders are much cheaper is because they are using pc drives now.

ABC... what`s an RACQ card please?
Old May 16th 2005, 7:32 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Stormz
ABC... what`s an RACQ card please?
Queenslands version of the RAC motoring organisation.
http://www.racq.com.au

Old May 16th 2005, 8:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I am holding out for the PVRs (personal video recorders) to come down in price. No need for DVDs unless you want the program for posterity. The programs are recorded to an internal HDD and the boxes act as a digital tv set top box. You can watch one program and record another or record 2 programs at once.

BTW to record a dvcam to a PC it is recommended you have at least 512mbs of RAM, a 7200rpm or better HDD and a firewire port.
What about a media centre PC?. they are taking off in a big way in the UK now. I'm still using Tivo, which although 3 years old is the best system available, much better than sky+.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:29 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

might be a good idea....

I have a small Shuttle XPC. I`m just thinking I could put in a hlf-decent tv-capture card in it and record stuff onto it`s hd, captured as avi and if I wanted to I could convert to divx to keep the sizes small.

I bought a DK915 dvd player from ebuyer.com for £40... it plays practically everything (divx, xvid, avi, mpeg, mp3 etc).... so whatever I d/l I can burn to dvd and play it on the 915. Loving it.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What about a media centre PC?. they are taking off in a big way in the UK now. I'm still using Tivo, which although 3 years old is the best system available, much better than sky+.
Media Centre is ok but still require a bit of booting up time and involve a lot of Microsoft. I built one for a friend. There is still a fair investment in hardware needed and you need a physically subtle and quiet case. There are no legal electronic programming guides for Australia because the TV stations own the copyright and release real schedules on pain of death so they can play games with the ratings. Add in the last minute rediculous schedule and programming changes and the you lose some of the nice to have features.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was thinking that myself, When the Aldi special comes back I must get one, I've mentioned it several times before, It has the latest pent4 processor (each time they release it it goes up a grade) 1 gig of ram, 256 Meg radeon video card, 250 gig 7200 hd, HDTV card latest dvd burner, all wireless, + remote control, Card reader for 20 cards, front access and rear access connectors. Only thing I can fault it on, with all that included, it should come with a slide out Harddrive, thats easy enough to install though. 1700 Aud, doesn't come with a screen/monitor..

HDTV PVR, with 250 gig Hardrive, would have to be at least 800 bucks maybe more.
Old May 16th 2005, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stormz

I bought a DK915 dvd player from ebuyer.com for £40... it plays practically everything (divx, xvid, avi, mpeg, mp3 etc).... so whatever I d/l I can burn to dvd and play it on the 915. Loving it.

We dont have a lot of choice on those over here stormz, I've been looking around for a divx dvd player, still well over the 120 buck mark, I may go down the route of a 2nd large moniitor, for tv and dvd viewing, at least 22 inch, hopefully more, connected to my comp, with maybe a wireless sender, although with Wireless, turn on the Microwave and watch the distortion Uggggghhhh. Microwaves run at 2.4 gig as well dammit.

There is so much choice in these areas now, that it is bloody confusing.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim2004
Recommended!

I'm runnin 2 10k Raptors in Raid 0 and they rock!
Yea, I had a Seagate Barracuda SATA based Raid 0 array for a while but I got shot of it after one of the drives corrupted and I lost everything on both (only OS and programs, but still a pain in the arse). Of course it's great for stuff like video encoding but I wouldn't keep the OS on there without a regularly updated ghost image. Having had about 7 drives go over the last few years I've learnt the importance of images and off-site back-ups I'd have bought Raptors but the storage capacity is laughable for the price you pay.
Old May 16th 2005, 9:41 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea, I had a Seagate Barracuda SATA based Raid 0 array for a while but I got shot of it after one of the drives corrupted and I lost everything on both (only OS and programs, but still a pain in the arse). Of course it's great for stuff like video encoding but I wouldn't keep the OS on there without a regularly updated ghost image. Having had about 7 drives go over the last few years I've learnt the importance of images and off-site back-ups I'd have bought Raptors but the storage capacity is laughable for the price you pay.
Oh agreed, I've had 2 go in a year! ...... but for performance they are fast!

HyperOs sorts me out tho, I have multiple OS Inc Win95, Win98, Win2000, and several XP Pro's

One dies, I use another! ......... drag and drop a working system to the corrupted partition and away you go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.