British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Nearly 400 Britons die in Australia every year. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/nearly-400-britons-die-australia-every-year-364867/)

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 5:01 pm

Nearly 400 Britons die in Australia every year.

Britons who see Australia and die

You may not be bitten by a snake or snapped up by a shark while visiting Australia but the country is fatal to nearly 400 tourists a year.

A report by the government's statistics agency shows that 363 tourists died in 2002, 377 in 2000 and 371 in 1998.

It says that deaths were most common in over-55s suffering heart attacks, strokes or similar conditions, accounting for two out of five.

But the popularity of extreme sports makes visitors five times more likely than natives to die in a violent manner, nearly one in three tourist deaths resulting from external factors such as crashes or drownings.

Men are twice as likely to die as women, and visitors are most at risk between the ages of 25 and 34 and over the age of 55.

Younger visitors are liable to suicide as well, with 45 occurring in the past six years, mostly among people younger than 24, in the drab winter months of July and August.

Nearly 100 people drowned in the same period, and 283 were killed in traffic accidents and 22 by assault.

More of the fatalities came from Britain than anywhere else, but with 63,000 Britons visiting Australia every month the death rate is relatively low.
Source.

So there you have it, folks: if you go to Australia, you will almost certainly die.

My advice is not to go there at all.

steve`o Mar 31st 2006 5:06 pm

Re: Nearly 400 Britons die in Australia every year.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

You may not be bitten by a snake or snapped up by a shark while visiting Australia but the country is fatal to nearly 400 tourists a year.

A report by the government's statistics agency shows that 363 tourists died in 2002, 377 in 2000 and 371 in 1998.

It says that deaths were most common in over-55s suffering heart attacks, strokes or similar conditions, accounting for two out of five.

But the popularity of extreme sports makes visitors five times more likely than natives to die in a violent manner, nearly one in three tourist deaths resulting from external factors such as crashes or drownings.

Men are twice as likely to die as women, and visitors are most at risk between the ages of 25 and 34 and over the age of 55.

Younger visitors are liable to suicide as well, with 45 occurring in the past six years, mostly among people younger than 24, in the drab winter months of July and August.

Nearly 100 people drowned in the same period, and 283 were killed in traffic accidents and 22 by assault.

More of the fatalities came from Britain than anywhere else, but with 63,000 Britons visiting Australia every month the death rate is relatively low.
Source.

So there you have it, folks: if you go to Australia, you will almost certainly die.

arr but if you stay in the uk you will die too
its a no win situation vash :rolleyes:

wafc Mar 31st 2006 5:06 pm

Source.

Such an uplifting thread!

I suppose I better cancel that visa application now as you never know when a heart attack or road accident may happen, I mean in Britain these things never occur!! lol ;)

Wendy Mar 31st 2006 5:09 pm

That's very worrying indeed. :(

I think I may just stay here in my "comfort zone"

iPom Mar 31st 2006 5:09 pm

'Drab, winter months of July and August'???

Oh please! :rolleyes:

Give me an Aussie winter over a British one any day.

chris and farideh Mar 31st 2006 5:10 pm

Source.

We are going to take our chances, so is it cheaper to die in Australia, cause its so damn expensive in UK. :D

steve`o Mar 31st 2006 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We are going to take our chances, so is it cheaper to die in Australia, cause its so damn expensive in UK. :D

thats right mate no inheritance tax ;)

stutess Mar 31st 2006 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by chris and farideh

ditto :D

stutess Mar 31st 2006 5:13 pm

now tell us something good :rolleyes:

steve`o Mar 31st 2006 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by stutess

ive got someone viewing the house tommorrow
thats good for me
( selfish bast arn`t i ) :D

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by stutess

The good news is that death in Australia brings a merciful release from everything that is so wrong with the place. :)

steve`o Mar 31st 2006 5:29 pm

The good news is that death in Australia brings a merciful release from everything that is so wrong with the place. :)

yes but because of the longer life expecancy you get more time to realise that in aus :D

HiddenPaw Mar 31st 2006 5:39 pm

:D :D

furkew Mar 31st 2006 6:54 pm

thanks Vash for that "postive" post. :D

Do you think if I change my nationality to Dutch before migrating that I might live to tell the tale ? :confused:

lacey21 Mar 31st 2006 6:57 pm

Thanks for that Vash lol

Makes me feel a whole lot better now lol

And yes Steveo you are selfish but don't forget me beer in Aus or i'll tell the wife PMSL

lace xx

robert cowan Mar 31st 2006 6:59 pm

thats almost like a kong post

Eric Hitchmo Mar 31st 2006 7:37 pm

...of boredom probably.

deanmhunt Mar 31st 2006 7:41 pm

Source.

MORE BRITS DIE IN BRITAIN THAN THEY DO IN OZ. & THAT'S A FACT!!!

chris and farideh Mar 31st 2006 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by deanmhunt

dont tell him that, :D

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by furkew
thanks Vash for that "postive" post. :D

Do you think if I change my nationality to Dutch before migrating that I might live to tell the tale ? :confused:

LOL, there's every chance! ;)

And don't forget that Australia has quite a large Dutch population. They were some of our earliest visitors, after all. :)

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by robert cowan
thats almost like a kong post

:confused:

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
...of boredom probably.

Quite possibly. :)

I suppose it would be a bit like dying while you wait for service in a British queue, so at least the experience would feel familiar. :cool:

furkew Mar 31st 2006 8:13 pm

LOL, there's every chance! ;)

And don't forget that Australia has quite a large Dutch population. They were some of our earliest visitors, after all. :)

and the Dutch where migrants and not criminals :D

furkew Mar 31st 2006 8:15 pm

when I was out there in Feb, I was out in Monbulk (plenty of cloggies out there )

They also have a yearly Dutch festival in Melbourne, and it gets bigger every year. My wife's aunt has organized it for the last 30 years

Eric Hitchmo Mar 31st 2006 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Charles Francis Adams (1807-1886)
The people in Australia breathe free... This is a true republic. The truest in the world. In England the average man feels he is inferior; in America that he is superior. In Australia he feels that he is an equal.

Lol! What drugs was he on when he wrote this rubbish? Australians are characterized by their inferiority complex. Even you Aussies admit that. I can't believe anyone who would write that drivel would even be considered worthy of having their birth and death years quoted.

furkew Mar 31st 2006 8:22 pm

Lol! What drugs was he on when he wrote this rubbish? Australians are characterized by their inferiority complex. Even you Aussies admit that. I can't believe anyone who would write that drivel would even be considered worthy of having their birth and death years quoted.

w.t.f. ?

I think its time for bed for somebody.

Lewis Lapthorn Mar 31st 2006 8:32 pm

Younger visitors are liable to suicide as well[/color][/b], with 45 occurring in the past six years, mostly among people younger than 24, in the drab winter months of July and August.
:scared: God knows what the rate must be in the U.K. between November and April then :scared:

It once took me around two weeks to convince an Aussie friend in Perth we have a recognized medical condition in the U.K. called seasonal affective disorder.

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by furkew
and the Dutch where migrants and not criminals :D

Yeah, but you should see what they charged us for lettuce! :eek: ;)

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 8:58 pm

Lol! What drugs was he on when he wrote this rubbish?

He was an American. I know nothing of his private recreational activities.

Australians are characterized by their inferiority complex. Even you Aussies admit that.
No, this is a popular misconception. You might be thinking of cultural cringe, which is very different. (I admit that to the untrained eye, it can be a subtle distinction at first glance; foreigners often have trouble discerning one from the other.)

Australians celebrate Australia Day with tremendous enthusiasm. Australians also celebrate Anzac Day - itself a sociological anomaly. (How many other nations do you know which actually commemorate their greatest military defeat, with positive attitude?)

We have a national public holiday that celebrates the birth of our nation, and we are proud of our achievements - both individual and collective.

Inferiority complex? I don't think so.

I can't believe anyone who would write that drivel would even be considered worthy of having their birth and death years quoted.
Are you British? If not, I'll forgive your ignorance on this subject. But if so, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the name.

Charles Francis Adams was a diplomat (the American Minister to Britain, in fact) and is therefore a part of British history.

He was also the son of John Quincy Adams.

Please tell me that I don't have to tell you who John Quincy Adams was. That would be really embarrassing. :)

PS. This thread was started as a bit of nice, light-hearted fun. You are clearly trolling. Please desist. Thankyou.

phoenixinoz Mar 31st 2006 9:01 pm

So there you have it, folks: if you go to Australia, you will almost certainly die. My advice is not to go there at all.

Stop paniking Vash:rolleyes:

...there's still gonna be enough room for you when you get here:p :D

Vash the Stampede Mar 31st 2006 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Stop paniking Vash:rolleyes:

...there's still gonna be enough room for you when you get here:p :D

Hey, it was worth a try! :D

Eric Hitchmo Mar 31st 2006 10:07 pm

. You might be thinking of cultural cringe, which is very different. (I admit that to the untrained eye, it can be a subtle distinction at first glance; foreigners often have trouble discerning one from the other.)

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages. An Aussie admitting that they have two types of inferiority complex. I only thought you had one. You learn something new every day.

Australians celebrate Australia Day with tremendous enthusiasm. Australians also celebrate Anzac Day - itself a sociological anomaly. (How many other nations do you know which actually commemorate their greatest military defeat, with positive attitude?)

Anzac day is Australia Day 2. Nothing more. Hordes of people in Wallabies rugby shirts walking though the Sydney CBD whilst the Aussie press re-print their usual drivel about how they were sold down the river by the British. Whats happening at Gallipoli this year? Another rave/beer festival is it? Positive attitude - don't make me laugh. Australians harp on about Galipoli endlessly and blow it out of all proportion becuase it gives them some sort of sense of being wronged by the evil British, and hence some sort of National unity. Hardly a "sociological anomaly" - more "painfully predictable".

Inferiority complex? I don't think so.

Sure. Of course not. This from an Aussie who hangs around a forum for British ex-pats and chucks his teddy at every post that doesn't praise Australia.

Are you British? If not, I'll forgive your ignorance on this subject. But if so, I'm surprised you're not familiar with the name.
Charles Francis Adams was a blah blah blah blah blah blah...

No, I have no idea. Go on, clue me up. I'm *really* embarassed. Honestly. You've got me here, big time.

PS. This thread was started as a bit of nice, light-hearted fun. You are clearly trolling. Please desist. Thankyou.

From an Aussie who hangs around a forum for British ex-pats and chucks his teddy at every post that doesn't praise Australia.
Only one doing any trolling here is you.

Tiawamutu Mar 31st 2006 10:23 pm

Source.

You are Australian, aren't you Vash? It's just you sometimes wouldn't think it, the way you slag the place off :confused:

MartinLuther Mar 31st 2006 10:26 pm

Has anyone seen the spoof advert http://ad-rag.com/129108.php

Aparently Tourism Australia has taken legal action against the web site that created it. Looks like TA may have been a bit quick off the mark for saying the Brits had lost their sense of humour (when their ad was banned).

:D

Tiawamutu Mar 31st 2006 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Has anyone seen the spoof advert http://ad-rag.com/129108.php

Aparently Tourism Australia has taken legal action against the web site that created it. Looks like TA may have been a bit quick off the mark for saying the Brits had lost their sense of humour (when their ad was banned).

:D

That's funny :D

Rachel & Paul Mar 31st 2006 11:36 pm

What al load of B*ll*cks!
We are all going to die sometime in our lives? Does that sound right? Why not make it Oz, its cheaper than dying in this sh*t h*le of a country! AND you get treated with dignity.
Got anymore good survey's we could reply to, maybe Sheilas Wheels might come up with something original?

Paul

rossifumi Apr 1st 2006 1:22 am

Doesn't the source actually state that out of so many tourists that visit Australia each year, nearly 400 tourists that visit die from whatever and out of those so many are British?

Rich

Ialibu Apr 1st 2006 1:35 am

Originally Posted by deanmhunt

and More Chinese and Indians die at home than anyone anywhere else. And that's about as relevant as the number of tourists carking it whilst on hoolidays.

Obviously a quiet week in UK with Tony B cavorting with the Rice pudding in Chatham House. She certainly hasn't the face that launched a thousand ships. Although I believe that Exxon named one of its tankers after wher when she worked there. That was certainly a bt of prescient work, something that is capable of transitting between defined ports and carrying the one cargo.

Vash the Stampede Apr 1st 2006 5:33 am

Originally Posted by rossifumi
Doesn't the source actually state that out of so many tourists that visit Australia each year, nearly 400 tourists that visit die from whatever and out of those so many are British?

Rich

Ooops - you're right. I apologise for the error. :o

Still it makes a good thread title, doesn't it? :p

Del Boy Apr 1st 2006 5:33 am

From my experience, most that die seem to be young backpackers...and for some reason most fatalities and injuries happen within 60 or so Ks of Bundaberg....so if you avoid the tomato fields you should be ok :)