Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nearly 3 Months in Aussie

Originally Posted by happy chappy
I work just down the road from you at an air conditioning place behind super A Mart. Getting a job here isn't too easy as they all seem to want Aussie experience. I think the only way to get good money is to work for yourself. I only got my job because I told everyone I met I was looking and eventually got a job that way.

I agree with you about the Sunshine Coast, it's a beautiful area with loads of fantastic spots to take the kids.

We often go up to point cartwright and take a picnic and the kids go snorkeling in the bay by the rocks. There are usually only a couple of people up there which is amazing as it's a fantastic spot. Most people seem to head for Mooloolaba as it's patrolled.

Good luck with the job hunting I will let you know if I hear anything.
Dave

Point cartwright and the whole beach along bokarina/warana is stunning but very dangerous, full of rips, but there is a patrolled beach at the beach exit 25/26 on weekends and in summer hols.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:33 am
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

you do have to watch out there but where we go there is a sheltered bay surrounded by rocks so the kids can snorkel without the danger of being caught in a rip. When we first came I didn't realise how strong they can be so you do have to be careful.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Point cartwright and the whole beach along bokarina/warana is stunning but very dangerous, full of rips, but there is a patrolled beach at the beach exit 25/26 on weekends and in summer hols.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Hi everyone -
Taken me a while to pop back on this forum
Just to say a big hello.
We have been in Aus now for nearly 3 months and have spent a fortune.
Cats are well settled after enduring quarantine for a month and are killing all the local wildlife (Aw Bless).
Living in a lovely place called Bokarina on the sunshine coast - between Moloolaba and Caloundra.
Bought a Car - and everything else you can imagine to furnish our rented home.

Even got myself a pool table a bar fridge and a 4 burner barbecue.
Not much work in IT so may have to
(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni
(c) Start my own PC Support business

Havent got a bad word to say about Aus - it's better than I remember it to be.
Aussies have a great sense of humour and Queenslanders absolutely rock!
Made loadsa friends at the local surf club - had a party last Saturday for my wifes birthday and about 50 Aussies turned up to admire my pool Table.

I'll post back when I get more time
Bye for now - heres a picture of our pad

Excellent! Happy Birthday Wifey
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:43 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad your having such a wicked time Mick

Lou
xx

Its a refurbished pub table - brand new cloth. Cost me only $1300 think thats approx 500 quid an absolute steel.
I forgot to say I tore my Right calf muscle playing football with the aussies and Im on crutches for my troubles - got a Job Interview at the Sunshine Coast Uni in a fortnight - so hopefully I will be walking otherwise I'll look an idiot in a suit on the sticks.
By the way Hospital service better than uk - I was given pain killers on arrival - waited 90 minutes and they took me through for an ultrascan of the muscle - even checked veins for clotting etc... Discovered a 3 inch rip. Gave me crutches and a letter for my doctor (which i havent sorted out yet!)
bye for now....
Take a look at my beach its at the bottom of the garden.....
well the local beach anyway
Cost of living seems comparative to UK - if you take into account salary expectations (most things are cheaper)- im working on the dollar now and not on my dwindling uk pound.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:17 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

Nice one Mick - cheers for the update!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone -
Taken me a while to pop back on this forum
Just to say a big hello.
We have been in Aus now for nearly 3 months and have spent a fortune.
Cats are well settled after enduring quarantine for a month and are killing all the local wildlife (Aw Bless).
Living in a lovely place called Bokarina on the sunshine coast - between Moloolaba and Caloundra.
Bought a Car - and everything else you can imagine to furnish our rented home.

Even got myself a pool table a bar fridge and a 4 burner barbecue.
Not much work in IT so may have to
(A) Move to brisbane
(B) get a Job at the Uni
(c) Start my own PC Support business

Havent got a bad word to say about Aus - it's better than I remember it to be.
Aussies have a great sense of humour and Queenslanders absolutely rock!
Made loadsa friends at the local surf club - had a party last Saturday for my wifes birthday and about 50 Aussies turned up to admire my pool Table.

I'll post back when I get more time
Bye for now - heres a picture of our pad

Hi great to hear and see you and yours settled in so well. Hopeful it will be us soon. Enjoy all the best Donna & Neil
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

So happy to see your settled and happy.

Hope you have a lovey chrimbo and life continues to be good for you
Mandy
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post and reminding us all who are not quite across there yet why we're coming - life sounds great for you, long may it continue and good luck with the job hunting and upcoming interview. Hope the leg heals quickly.

Nikki
Old Dec 5th 2006, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Great post pleased it's all what you hoped it would be Have a fantastic christmas.......on that lovely beach
Old Dec 5th 2006, 11:12 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Take a look at my beach its at the bottom of the garden.....
well the local beach anyway

oh wow, i'm really envious, you lucky buggers!!
I would post a picture of the view from my back garden, however alan titchmarsh hasnt visited me yet and so i'd need a grappling hook to get over the leaves.

enjoy that view every day, I know I would

bec and egg