Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nationwide Credit Card fraud

Nationwide Credit Card fraud

Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nationwide Credit Card fraud

Having actively promoted the Nationwide credit card for their lack of foreign exchange loading, I am embarrassed to report that someone has been using my card fraudulently!

I just happened - luckily - to log on to the website an hour ago to check on a transaction of Mrs Rog, to find a jewellery store in Bologna has debited my visa account to the tune of over £3k! (Please, no funnies about keeping tabs on her expenditure...)

One is on the horns of a dilemma: do you go online every few days to check that your accounts are all OK - each time potentially exposing your log-on details to spyware - or just wait until you get the statement?

Anyway - N/W immediately stopped the account and are starting an investigation. No doubt I will never hear the result but I would dearly like to!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nationwide Credit Card fraud

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Having actively promoted the Nationwide credit card for their lack of foreign exchange loading, I am embarrassed to report that someone has been using my card fraudulently!

I just happened - luckily - to log on to the website an hour ago to check on a transaction of Mrs Rog, to find a jewellery store in Bologna has debited my visa account to the tune of over £3k! (Please, no funnies about keeping tabs on her expenditure...)

One is on the horns of a dilemma: do you go online every few days to check that your accounts are all OK - each time potentially exposing your log-on details to spyware - or just wait until you get the statement?

Anyway - N/W immediately stopped the account and are starting an investigation. No doubt I will never hear the result but I would dearly like to!

Having twice been a victim of card fraud I would never ever bank online and even shop on line with extreme caution.

No matter how safe the banks say it is, there is always someone to outsmart them. That is how Norton become millionaires because some jerked off wankwipe sits at his computer dreaming up viruses around the world.

Keep a book with EVERY transaction you make, date, description (which ATM/company) and do one for cheques as well.

You will Know every transaction and be account savvy. Check your account twice a week.

I think people that commit credit card fraud are too lazy and simple to get a job and the only way they can make money is by riding the backs of others to make a living and that makes them a parasite.

People who are into that line of work deserve to die, slowly, painfully and so that I can watch and video it.

I feel very sorry for you having this done but do remember that there are people out there with 'thieving w*nker' written on their heads and you have just become a victim of one of them.

you wont find out the outcome Im afraid, but when you use your card, dont let it out of your site in any situation. Better still, pay cash where you can to reduce the risk.

And lets hope the person that did this to you dies in a nasty accident.

And before anyone tells me 'Its not personal', the minute you steal from someones bank account, you make it personal and I dont care if they are in a low paid job or what the situation is - they deserve to die.

Sorry for the rant, but once is bad and twice is painful.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Sep 13th 2005 at 10:54 am.
Old Sep 13th 2005, 10:42 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Nightmare, glad you're getting it sorted.

Just out of interest, do NW know you are living in Oz?
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:33 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they do: they have no problem with it, and send the statement to my Oz address each month.

I am the most security concious guy out: I never let the card out of sight, make sure it's not "hidden swiped", never ever email deatils unless it's on a secure site and even then put ****** and only the final numbers etc.

I can only assume that someone who makes up false cards has used my number on one of them. As Mrs Rog says, the two purchases are probably his and hers upmarket watches either over the counter (in which case there might be video) or CNP phone purchases - but then there must be an address, if not a phone no. record if they care to delve into it.

And before someone points out that you can't just make up a valid card no. - yes, I know! The DT published - very irresponsibly, IMO - a few years ago the algorithym that can be used to generate a valid no. i've kept it out of interest but no, I don't use it!
Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

I hope you get support from the financial organisation over this matter. It seems that some banks basically put the onus on you to prove that you didn't act irresponsibly (which is effectively impossible).

Here's an article about how a well-known author had a massive argument with her bank (NatWest) over a fraud: http://money.guardian.co.uk/scamsand...543511,00.html

Old Sep 13th 2005, 9:53 pm
Banned

Astro will become famous soon enoughAstro will become famous soon enough

After many years use online with my Australian St George Account, I have never experienced any problems with fraud, thankfully.

I guess you've been unlucky.

Last edited by Astro; Sep 13th 2005 at 10:09 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

A similar thing to happened to me last year with my Natwest Credit Card, however they were clever enough to de-activate the card when a second Eur2k was trying to be processed.

They noticed that on that morning a transaction had taken place at the Australian High Commission in London and 2 hrs later there was a transaction in Paris and then a second one was being attempted when they realised it was probably impossible for that to happen all in that time-frame!!!

I just had absolute nightmares of my card being stopped before the AHC had taken payment for my visa....but the bank was happy enough to tell me that it was processed before they cancelled it!!!

An investigation was started and within days my balance was back to normal. It seemed to me that as long as I could prove I wasn't at the said location - they very happy to cancel it.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

PhilShila will become famous soon enoughPhilShila will become famous soon enough

I have a service from NatWest whereby they SMS me every time my card (or additional card) is used stating the time, place and amount and a number to call if the expenditure is not kosher.

Great way to keep tabs on the wife's spending in her additional card !!!

Phil
Old Sep 14th 2005, 6:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Its insured - and they always refund so I dont see what the issue is - I know its a nuisance and Ive had it done to me but by some waiter ina pub keep swiping it to pay his mates bar tab.

still safer than cash