Reload this Page >

Narrowed it down to 2 places

Narrowed it down to 2 places

Old Dec 29th 2008, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Radlam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Narrowed it down to 2 places

Hi all,

I have narrowed down my locations to 2. Perth or Melbourne. I am looking at Ellenbrook in Peth and Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes in Melbourne. As some of you may know, both these suburbs are very similar in characteristics.

I cannot decide between the 2, I have friends and familey over in Perth now, but my sister is moving to Melbourne very soon. My parents are hoping to emmigrate too, but said they wouldnt be able to choose which city to go for if we both ended up in seperate places. However, I am not letting this sway my decision as I do not want to end up in a place I regret.

I liked the lifestyle in Perth, but prefered the modern/uptodate fetures of Melbourne. I could see myself living in both but cannot decide which.

Im very keen on watersports (not the kinky kind) and aim to get another boat after we have settled, so I am looking for areas where I can get a decent sized house with a double garage which isnt too far from the ocean/rivers.

Anyone got any input for me from both these locations, or any other suburbs I can look at? Based on the job offers, Ill be looking at a house for around $450pw.

Thanks

Rick
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Narrowed it down to 2 places

I'd have thought the difference in the climates would make the decision easy. How hot do you like it?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Man that's weird I have come to the same conclusion including sanctuary lakes!!

I too have got family in Perth but more chance of work in Melbourne. Also when I visited there in 2005 I loved it!

Love the lifestyle in Perth too but do think I will feel a little isolated & there seems to be alot more to do in Melbourne. Plus I used to ski when I was a kid so would be nice to take it up again!!!

I too am toying with a boat purchase when I get there!!

Looks like its going to be Melbourne for me!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by louie
I'd have thought the difference in the climates would make the decision easy. How hot do you like it?
Not really that easy though is it?

I mean, its easy to sit here in 2oC weather and say I want it mega hot in the city I choose, but im sure the novelty of that wears off after working in it. Especially as I will be fitting the A/C in buildings and not enjoying its coolness

Thats not to say I cant handle the heat, its just not really a deciding factor for me as I cant predict how I will take to either climates.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chilliman
Man that's weird I have come to the same conclusion including sanctuary lakes!!

I too have got family in Perth but more chance of work in Melbourne. Also when I visited there in 2005 I loved it!

Love the lifestyle in Perth too but do think I will feel a little isolated & there seems to be alot more to do in Melbourne. Plus I used to ski when I was a kid so would be nice to take it up again!!!

I too am toying with a boat purchase when I get there!!

Looks like its going to be Melbourne for me!!
You found plenty of places to take a boat in Melbourne? Are there any designated ski zones you know of?

Sanctuary lakes does look really nice, and the houses there look great. I have never lived in a city and don't intend to. I like having the freedom of enjoying what a city has to offer, but then retreating out of it at the end of the day.

Give me open plan space any day of the week over city life!!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

No contest for me Melbourne, why because its on the East Coast and most of the action is over here. If you want a holiday in QLD not so far to go or up to Sydney, Tasmania or even over to New Zealand.

Our shops are always open

The weather is variable and I like it that way.

The National Water Sports Centre is over the other side of Melbourne though at Patterson Lakes but I am sure there are lots of places for you to go water skiing over in the west.

If you have family here it will be easier to settle as you have assistance with family etc.

Good jobs here.

Only my opinion. Weather does not put food on the table and take you out and about for entertainment.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Petals
No contest for me Melbourne, why because its on the East Coast and most of the action is over here. If you want a holiday in QLD not so far to go or up to Sydney, Tasmania or even over to New Zealand.

Our shops are always open

The weather is variable and I like it that way.

The National Water Sports Centre is over the other side of Melbourne though at Patterson Lakes but I am sure there are lots of places for you to go water skiing over in the west.

If you have family here it will be easier to settle as you have assistance with family etc.

Good jobs here.

Only my opinion. Weather does not put food on the table and take you out and about for entertainment.
Wow thanks for that, you seemed to sum it up pretty well, I like it!

Yeah thats another thing about Perth, no shopping after about 5pm! Whats that about??
Old Dec 29th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Been looking at Patterson Lakes too, houses complete with moorings looks pretty good to me!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:09 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Radlam
Hi all,

I have narrowed down my locations to 2. Perth or Melbourne. I am looking at Ellenbrook in Peth and Point Cook/Sanctuary Lakes in Melbourne. As some of you may know, both these suburbs are very similar in characteristics.

I cannot decide between the 2, I have friends and familey over in Perth now, but my sister is moving to Melbourne very soon. My parents are hoping to emmigrate too, but said they wouldnt be able to choose which city to go for if we both ended up in seperate places. However, I am not letting this sway my decision as I do not want to end up in a place I regret.

I liked the lifestyle in Perth, but prefered the modern/uptodate fetures of Melbourne. I could see myself living in both but cannot decide which.

Im very keen on watersports (not the kinky kind) and aim to get another boat after we have settled, so I am looking for areas where I can get a decent sized house with a double garage which isnt too far from the ocean/rivers.

Anyone got any input for me from both these locations, or any other suburbs I can look at? Based on the job offers, Ill be looking at a house for around $450pw.

Thanks

Rick
Choose Perth

Point cook and sanctuary lakes is not a true reflection of what Melbourne has too offer and therefore you might be misguided if you base it on that premise.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Choose Perth

Point cook and sanctuary lakes is not a true reflection of what Melbourne has too offer and therefore you might be misguided if you base it on that premise.
Just been looking at Patterson Lakes... looks very nice round there. Especially the ones with private moorings!! Any more suburbs you can recommened?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:02 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Just been looking at Patterson Lakes... looks very nice round there. Especially the ones with private moorings!! Any more suburbs you can recommened?
What size boat are you looking for? It would seem you are more into water skiing than a G&T palace? If that is the case you might consider also the lakes which is where alot of waterskiers head for.

JV Marine appears to be the biggest boat yard I have come across in Melbourne but also found Aussieboatsales helpful and well priced for the stock they carry. The annual boat show can be good for getting good discount - this year with the recession looming it might be even more so.

If you want a mixture ie fishing and watersports anywhere along the bayside to Portsea have ramps and good access. We are continually debating going for trailer or marina berth. Really where ever you end up will be easy access to a number of water destinations. And remember you may not enjoy going to the same place day after day. Qld is also only a few days travel if you fancy a few weeks up north. Something we are considering next year over xmas is buggering off for 6 or 7 weeks and taking the boat with us (versus leaving a boat in a marina berth in the docklands).

Hastings have a good marina where you can login via the net and arrange for your boat to be taken out of dry/wet berth and ready to go at a set time at the boat ramp. This is included in the annual charge of about $1800 for boats up to 7m.

The new east link also provides very good access from country suburbs (so you can have your cake and eat it - if a mixture of beach and country is your thing)

If big new homes are your thing try looking at the particular home style builder you like but acquire the land independently and get them to build it on your site. That way you are not limited to new land estates (unless of course this is what you want).

The gippsland and lakes district/entrance seems to be a haven for watersports as well but not really a commutable option (weekend joints - 2 hrs drive)

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

I find the above site useful because it shows a good map and from this you can see the change in rental costs moving away from the CBD and then its also over to you to value cost versus travel time.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What size boat are you looking for? It would seem you are more into water skiing than a G&T palace? If that is the case you might consider also the lakes which is where alot of waterskiers head for.

JV Marine appears to be the biggest boat yard I have come across in Melbourne but also found Aussieboatsales helpful and well priced for the stock they carry. The annual boat show can be good for getting good discount - this year with the recession looming it might be even more so.

If you want a mixture ie fishing and watersports anywhere along the bayside to Portsea have ramps and good access. We are continually debating going for trailer or marina berth. Really where ever you end up will be easy access to a number of water destinations. And remember you may not enjoy going to the same place day after day. Qld is also only a few days travel if you fancy a few weeks up north. Something we are considering next year over xmas is buggering off for 6 or 7 weeks and taking the boat with us (versus leaving a boat in a marina berth in the docklands).

Hastings have a good marina where you can login via the net and arrange for your boat to be taken out of dry/wet berth and ready to go at a set time at the boat ramp. This is included in the annual charge of about $1800 for boats up to 7m.

The new east link also provides very good access from country suburbs (so you can have your cake and eat it - if a mixture of beach and country is your thing)

If big new homes are your thing try looking at the particular home style builder you like but acquire the land independently and get them to build it on your site. That way you are not limited to new land estates (unless of course this is what you want).

The gippsland and lakes district/entrance seems to be a haven for watersports as well but not really a commutable option (weekend joints - 2 hrs drive)

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk...ommodation.htm

I find the above site useful because it shows a good map and from this you can see the change in rental costs moving away from the CBD and then its also over to you to value cost versus travel time.
Im after something similar to what I have here, around a 20ft. Yeah its gonna be used primarily for Wakeskating more than anything so near the ski zone on the lakes/river would be ideal.

I think I would prefer to trailer the boat around as then I have the choice of taking it elsewhere.

Do you have any other nice suburb reccomendations? I will be renting first so the home building will come after the 175 visa has been granted.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

There are quite a few marinas around, there is one at St Kilda, one in Patterson Lakes and the one in Hastings. Hastings is on Westernport Bay and Patterson Lakes is on Port Phillip Bay.

Patterson Lakes has easy access to the Frankston train line, has a nice shopping centre.

There is a new Marina at Safety Beach and a lot of houses being built on canals down there in Dromana and it has access to Port Phillip Bay as well.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and you may get some idea.

Boats are big business here in Melbourne.

The Gippsland Lakes are lovely as op has said and very popular but about three hours drive from Melbourne.

My son lives in Yarrawonga a country town on the Murray which is big on water skiining on the lake there.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

There are quite a few marinas around, there is one at St Kilda, one in Patterson Lakes and the one in Hastings. Hastings is on Westernport Bay and Patterson Lakes is on Port Phillip Bay.

Patterson Lakes has easy access to the Frankston train line, has a nice shopping centre.

There is a new Marina at Safety Beach and a lot of houses being built on canals down there in Dromana and it has access to Port Phillip Bay as well.

Have a look at realestate.com.au and you may get some idea.

Boats are big business here in Melbourne.

The Gippsland Lakes are lovely as op has said and very popular but about three hours drive from Melbourne.

My son lives in Yarrawonga a country town on the Murray which is big on water skiining on the lake there.
Have you heard much news about the latest marina their building in Wyndham, right near Point Cook? Looks pretty cool.

Do you know much about the areas round there. The houses look nice, and the commute to the CBD doesnt look too far?
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:20 pm
Has left the building

The houses look nice, and the commute to the CBD doesnt look too far?
http://www.nowwhere.com.au/tourismvi...utton=GetRoute

Route planner suggests 27 mins

I have spent 40 mins from the top of the bridge to my exit at the bottom to Port Melbourne after a 4 min crossing the other side.

Another poster Fraser lives out in Point Cook who may have better local knowledge for you. I think his wife commutes via train into the city.

By the way the skiboats here are more like sports cars on speed that happen to travel on water

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.