Nappy Rash

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:51 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nappy Rash

Our little one has really bad nappy rash from teething, can anyone recommend anything over here in Aus, in the UK we used Metanium which was briilaint but can't find it here, sudocrem seems to be useless and he screams when we put it on. I have left him nappyless whic has helped a bit but can't do that all day, has anyone any suggestions?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nappy Rash

Originally Posted by Howard Jenings
Our little one has really bad nappy rash from teething, can anyone recommend anything over here in Aus, in the UK we used Metanium which was briilaint but can't find it here, sudocrem seems to be useless and he screams when we put it on. I have left him nappyless whic has helped a bit but can't do that all day, has anyone any suggestions?
If the nappy rash is caused by fungal infection, Daktozin is really good. My younger daughter used to get really bad nappy rashes, nothing else works but Daktozin. You may need to ask the pharmist for it as it's restricted.

For minor non-fungal rashes, I used Bepanthen on both girls when they were very little.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

My friend recommended 'Nappy Paste' it's dead cheap about 7.99 and her paediatrician suggested putting on a ridiculous amount. We tried it - and our daughter's bottom was so sore that some bits were bleeding. I'd taken her to the docs, got prescription cream, tried other stuff - nothing worked. After 24hrs with Nappy Paste it was like a new bottom!

Seriously - put on so much that you feel like it's a joke. Also just use cotton wool and water to clean - then dab dry with some soft kitchen roll. Make sure you use good quality nappies (like huggies).

Good luck.x

Also - ask the pharmacist to look in their book for the ingredients in Metanium and they should be able to offer something with the same active ingredient.

Last edited by movin'on; Nov 2nd 2009 at 12:54 pm. Reason: Adding extra info!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Keep the nappy off as much as possible to let the air get at his bum. When you have to put the nappy back on use loads of zinc oxide cream with a layer of vaseline over that to keep the moisture off him.

Poor little thing. I used to hate when my kids had diaper rash. It must be so painful for them.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Rod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to allRod-Helen-Poppy is a name known to all

my daughter had what we thought was nappy rash; the rash our daughter had was red, bumpy and had satellite lesions radiating from the centre. we took her to a dermatologist who was quite adamant that nappy rash no longer ocurrs - it has all but been eradicated by the introduction of disposable nappies as they take the moisture from the skin.
he said that it was more likely a form of exczema - seborrhic im quite sure he said, anyway i digress. we found this out after god knows how many visits to our doctors surgery, and seeing pracdtically every GP - all of which tried to diagnose it as something different to the other - not to mention the numerous visits to walk in centers as the condition would flare up sometimes on a night/weekend - it was only the last one who agreed to refer us to a dermatologist - the previous one saying dermatologists dont see children , and the dermatolist we saw was actually a child dermatologist lol

the reason i have posted is because we have tried all the creams etc you have mentioned and the rash never went away. metanium is basically a barrier cream that stops the urine etc touching the skin, therefore hopefully stopping the cause if it is nappy rash. sudocrem is for sores etc and so find it strange that it causes your child pain when applied - unless the skin has been broken?

we had more success using the antifungal cream, but as it wasn't strictly speaking a fungal infection it never cleared it at all.

we were prescribed a steroid cream - betnavate. although it is a steroid cream it isnt the strongest and is safe for use with a child, it was the only cream that cleared it up, and to date has not returned. dont get me wrong im not a doctor - but i just brought this to your attention so you could quiz your GP about it.

not sure if your childs skin condition is the same as what our was, but just to give you a heads up really.

hope you get it cleared up soon.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Hi

Try and get your hands on some of this http://www.amazon.com/Caldesene-Zinc.../dp/B0000Y3CWY

We used it on our two and never had a problem with nappy rash. Not sure if you can get here or not . But you could always order some online

Paddy
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

crystaldi is an unknown quantity at this point

was going to say sudocrem then re read your thread. I have to say though my bub does flinch when i put it on but thats cause its cold cream going on a sore, I love the stuff.

Last edited by crystaldi; Nov 2nd 2009 at 9:33 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter also had what I thought was bad nappy rash that wouldnt budge.

A doctor told us it was eczema, and gave us some prescription cream to help clear it. It worked a treat, after weeks of buying everything in sight.

Might be worth going to the GP if it doesnt clear with over the counter stuff.

Gems
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

GracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really niceGracieK is just really nice

My daughter had an awful nappy rash a couple of months ago, like you I was using Sudocrem but it just wouldn't go away. Eventually took her to the GP and she said to ask the chemist for "Hydrozole". It's part anti-fungal and part mild steroid. It looked worse the 2nd day of using it, but on the 3rd day all but disappeared. I keep on top of it now with the odd bit of sudocrem and occasionally Waitrose's Baby Bottom Butter (sadly my supply brought over from UK is depleting) if it's looking red.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.buttpaste.com/BLButtPaste.php

Ignore the name! This is the dog's danglies - I used to have relatives ship it to me from the US. Not sure if you can get it anywhere in Australia though?

The only other thing I use is hydrocortisone cream from the pharmacist (have used Hydrozole but on a different one now) as my son needs it occasionally for eczema flare ups. I only use a tiny smear and not often and the rash goes away overnight usually. Not sure it would be ok on open sores though.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:46 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
For minor non-fungal rashes, I used Bepanthen on both girls when they were very little.

Mrs JTL
Same here

I tend to change their nappies as frequently as possible during teething - not sure if this helps but we avoided severe nappy rash cases.

Friends did not and they had a dreadful time. Not sure if it was cost or lazyiness in why the left it so often between nappy changes.

I think badge once said its like a pitstop during F1 for us guys. keep trying to make the changes faster and more efficient.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:22 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the products by Mustela. We sell the range in the pharmacy where I work and our mums rave about it.

Tried to Google to find the right product but pc is playing up at the moment but they do one specifically for bad nappy rash and by all accounts from our customers 1 to 2 applications usually clears up the problem.

Loz x
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 5:14 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought Mustela for cradle cap and it did a really good job, will give the nappr rash cream a go I think, thanks everyone for your help.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucas Paw Paw ointment is brilliant for everything else, sure it would work well with nappy rash.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:41 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Lucas Paw Paw ointment is super for nappy rash. The other thing that I have used for my two is Medihoney which I used in the UK before we came but you can also get here. Medihoney is great for eczema too, cleared up the eczema that our eldest had behind her ears and in the creases of her arms within two days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.