Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My life in Perth...

My life in Perth...

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 11:46 am
bru
Forum Regular

bru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to beholdbru is a splendid one to behold
Default My life in Perth...

Hi guys,

I am in Perth and it’s been 1 month now. So far everything worked out more than what I expected. Got a great job, exactly what I wanted with around 40% more than expected. I became a very happy employee in one of the leading companies, on my 4th day of landing here. Two companies offered and one was kind of begging to consider them over the other. Very next day I went and purchased a car.. no issue.. Again cheaper than I expected. Rented a 3 bedroom house in Ardross.. very closer to the Garden city. Reason is very simple.. unless you wish to reverse 10 years back, do not live far away €from Perth AND to a so called naibourhood “Super Market”. I have been living 1 week in an area called Willetton and trust me that’s not the place I would advice anyone to live. That’s my opinion though!

About Perth.. it is really nice and everyone here is extremely friendly.. I am tired of saying “good..thank you.. how are you?” all day.. But I like the hospitality and the kindness of people here.
Except the record breaking 1 month waiting time to get a bigpond broadband connection ( they again promised me that they will connect it by tomorrow) everything else worked out so smoothly without any hiccups so far. I also shipped some items (mainly books) and nominated a clearing agent to do it for a very unreasonable shylock kind of a price. Anyway, I do not have any option coz my Thai shipping agents has sent the documents to this clearing company here and to release that, they are asking me a similar price. So I thought to use them and finish it. It's going to be a rip off for sure..

Tomorrow I am going to play golf with my neighbor and next week many Christmas parties to attend. I think that will tell how friendly the people are.
BTW. tomorrow I have to think of some gift ideas to these homes.. Since my wife is not here.. that's going to be very difficult for sure..
The most annoying and hated part here in Perth is the way they control shopping times. Nothing can be done after 5.00 PM. Come on.. for what they are scared so much.. I simply do not know. I’ll try to understand this logic in coming months but I really doubt I will be able to absorb this logic. The way they operate shops here are all against free market principles. That’s the best way to describe it.

Houses are beautiful, weather is superb and very nice roads. Sadly, very poor road signs.. for this one, I should say that Perth is around 10-15 years back compared to other international cities. When you come closer to the road that you are hoping to turn, you will see a small board hidden inside a bush with tiny letters on it. At the time you see it, you will realize that you are in the other lane and nothing can be done to turn across. When I discussed this with my new friends here, all they say is.. Perth has a very good map book. I got one and it is good to park and read.. not to read and drive. For my luck, I found a GPS unit and thanks to that, I can go to any address here much faster than my new friends who are relying on that old good Map book.

Now I am waiting till my wife joins with me on 29th. With that part 1 of my plan will be over. Then.. buying a house.. in Ardoros???? I need more luck for that.. We are hoping to celebrate the new-year in Freo.. hopefully..book a room at Esplanade Hotel. I think that's the only hotel they have.. others seems like short term apartment kind of places..

Have a great Christmas and a wonderful 2007!
Bru
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My life in Perth...

Originally Posted by bru
Hi guys,

I Bru
Interesting post, thanks, keep em coming.

Dave
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 12:47 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My life in Perth...

Originally Posted by bru
Hi guys,

I am in Perth and it’s been 1 month now. So far everything worked out more than what I expected. Got a great job, exactly what I wanted with around 40% more than expected. I became a very happy employee in one of the leading companies, on my 4th day of landing here. Two companies offered and one was kind of begging to consider them over the other. Very next day I went and purchased a car.. no issue.. Again cheaper than I expected. Rented a 3 bedroom house in Ardross.. very closer to the Garden city. Reason is very simple.. unless you wish to reverse 10 years back, do not live far away €from Perth AND to a so called naibourhood “Super Market”. I have been living 1 week in an area called Willetton and trust me that’s not the place I would advice anyone to live. That’s my opinion though!

About Perth.. it is really nice and everyone here is extremely friendly.. I am tired of saying “good..thank you.. how are you?” all day.. But I like the hospitality and the kindness of people here.
Except the record breaking 1 month waiting time to get a bigpond broadband connection ( they again promised me that they will connect it by tomorrow) everything else worked out so smoothly without any hiccups so far. I also shipped some items (mainly books) and nominated a clearing agent to do it for a very unreasonable shylock kind of a price. Anyway, I do not have any option coz my Thai shipping agents has sent the documents to this clearing company here and to release that, they are asking me a similar price. So I thought to use them and finish it. It's going to be a rip off for sure..

Tomorrow I am going to play golf with my neighbor and next week many Christmas parties to attend. I think that will tell how friendly the people are.
BTW. tomorrow I have to think of some gift ideas to these homes.. Since my wife is not here.. that's going to be very difficult for sure..
The most annoying and hated part here in Perth is the way they control shopping times. Nothing can be done after 5.00 PM. Come on.. for what they are scared so much.. I simply do not know. I’ll try to understand this logic in coming months but I really doubt I will be able to absorb this logic. The way they operate shops here are all against free market principles. That’s the best way to describe it.

Houses are beautiful, weather is superb and very nice roads. Sadly, very poor road signs.. for this one, I should say that Perth is around 10-15 years back compared to other international cities. When you come closer to the road that you are hoping to turn, you will see a small board hidden inside a bush with tiny letters on it. At the time you see it, you will realize that you are in the other lane and nothing can be done to turn across. When I discussed this with my new friends here, all they say is.. Perth has a very good map book. I got one and it is good to park and read.. not to read and drive. For my luck, I found a GPS unit and thanks to that, I can go to any address here much faster than my new friends who are relying on that old good Map book.

Now I am waiting till my wife joins with me on 29th. With that part 1 of my plan will be over. Then.. buying a house.. in Ardoros???? I need more luck for that.. We are hoping to celebrate the new-year in Freo.. hopefully..book a room at Esplanade Hotel. I think that's the only hotel they have.. others seems like short term apartment kind of places..

Have a great Christmas and a wonderful 2007!
Bru
Good post. First I must say that Willeton is a nice area but is predominantly a family area and is considered a good area with a good reputation.

You made a mistake going with Bigpond. They are quite possibly the worst service provider in the country.

Enjoy your new year in Fremantle.