Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My life in Brissy so far

My life in Brissy so far

Old May 5th 2004, 8:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by CornishPasty
Though I dont have to sit a practical again, being a full license holder in the UK, i still have to sit a written test.......so i will get swatting....tempting to just go in and try my luck!
Give it a go, it only costs $15, and you may well pass.

I did that, and failed by 1 wrong answer !

However it had been 34 years since taking any test before !! And with that amount of driving experience you don't KNOW what the rules are, you just drive the way that feels right

I then read the book and passed on the second attempt

Old May 6th 2004, 11:08 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Re: My life in Brissy so far

Originally posted by CornishPasty

I was worried about having no credit history and also no job yet.

Getting a phone/tv/braodband involved a wee white lie of still working for my UK employer (they said you had to have an income) I am technically as I am on a 1yr sabatical, and my thought was I know I can pay it so its ok in my head.
I am also taking unpaid leave for up to 2 years so that I could go back to my old job if something went dramatically wrong.

However, I'm looking to buy a house in Adelaide as soon as possible when I arrive in September, before the house prices rise too much further.

I'm wondering if I could get a mortgage on the strength of a 50% deposit, 25% in reserve in cash and a UK income that would equate to around 30%.

Anyone know if this would work? Would there be any complications

What evidence would I need to produce to confirm I'm still employed in the UK?

Elaine M