Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drugs and Education?

Drugs and Education?

Old May 5th 2004, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

tracy.macpherso is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Drugs and Education?

Planning to move to Brisbane with my husband and 3 small children.
Can any one tell me what the drugs situation is like in Brisbane - it can't be as bad as it is here in UK!!
Also is the education better or just about the same?
Be very grateful for your input
Old May 5th 2004, 10:37 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drugs and Education?

Originally posted by tracy.macpherso
Can any one tell me what the drugs situation is like in Brisbane - it can't be as bad as it is here in UK!!
Probably about the same.
Old May 5th 2004, 10:38 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

There was a lot of weed about when I last lived there. The climate of Brisbane is conducive to the growing of everyone's favourite hemp.

I can't tell you much about education vis-a-vis to the UK, but I went to high school in Brisbane, and it's quite passable.
Old May 5th 2004, 10:40 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

What drugs are you after? Are you after cheaper drugs?

Depends where you live, your pounds should buy you into a better 'burb than where you currently live and you should therefore expect less drugs and better education
Old May 5th 2004, 10:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a lot of seriously good quality weed at much lower prices than the UK. Heroin is dirt cheap and easily available although cocaine is very expensive. Keep your kids educated and hope for the best.

South Australians are allowed to grow their own hemp.

Just adding that it is many years since I took part in any illegal drug taking.
Old May 5th 2004, 11:35 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Just adding that it is many years since I took part in any illegal drug taking.
No, you just nip into the local methadone clinic once a DAY insted
Old May 5th 2004, 11:37 pm

Originally posted by hevs
No, you just nip into the local methadone clinic once a DAY insted
Had your morning VB yet Hevs?
Old May 5th 2004, 11:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Had your morning VB yet Hevs?

no but i had vodka on me cornflakes
Old May 5th 2004, 11:44 pm
ABCDiamond

What part of Brisbane are you going to ?

As jayr said, Depends where you live !

Woodridge in the South, I was told not to let my child play in the public playground sand pit because of needles. ( I only went there because I HAD too)

Other areas "seem" free of them, but they must be around, just not as open.

Education again, depends on the area, the individual school, the School Head, ete etc. There was a thread about that yesterday or day before I think.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=228338

Old May 6th 2004, 12:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

There's a lot of weed about . I know of a few people who grow it for personal consumption.. grows like wild fire. They must be mad.

There's also plenty of other (hard) drugs about.. they don't put needle bins in toilets for nothing.

Australia has a drug problem the same as most countries... UK, US.
etc, etc and any other western country I can think of.

I can't personally answer the question about the education system here

cheers
Old May 6th 2004, 2:14 am

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html
One in 10 teen boys 'used steroids'

May 06, 2004
ONE in 10 Australian teenage boys had used steroids to bulk up because of poor body image, Victorian Youth Affairs Minister Jacinta Allan said today.

At the opening of a No Diet Day health conference in Melbourne, Ms Allan also said 68 per cent of 15-year-old Australian girls were dieting at any one time.

The statistics on teen steroid abuse, from a University of Melbourne study and figures from the Centre for Adolescent Health, showed the pressure young people were under to conform, Ms Allan said.
Old May 6th 2004, 2:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

[
May 06, 2004
ONE in 10 Australian teenage boys had used steroids to bulk up .
You wouldn't have thought they'd need to when there are so many PIES around...................
Old May 6th 2004, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

The company I work for own the bakery who makes Grannys pies and the boss is off to the states on marketing mission - in his words "going to the most unhealthy nation to find out how to market crap food to it's fullest extent"!!!

Long live the pie
Old May 6th 2004, 3:50 am

Originally posted by hevs
You wouldn't have thought they'd need to when there are so many PIES around...................
It does make one wonder. I am very surprised at the amount taking steroids and it is the first time I have heard of kids taking them. I am not sure whether it is vanity or strength to cheat at sport that is driving the trend.
Old May 6th 2004, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

moomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura aboutmoomin has a spectacular aura about

i was talking to a drug worker who recently delivered a seminar in australia and was impressed with their management of the issue.

in the uk there is a tendancy to underprescribe methadone so people are always topping up, oz policies allow for higher prescriptions which 'hold' people and therefore reduce necessity to spiral into life of crime.

syney have 'safer injecting rooms' and other stuff going on.

i know people will perceive this in very different ways but i think acnowledging the problem and taking steps to manage can't be a bad thing.

not when i have worked in places by parks in uk with needles littered in bushes because of no alternatives. i have worked with lots of users in the past tho, so probably have a disproportionate amount of exposure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.