Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My faith in the Good Samaritan has been restored

My faith in the Good Samaritan has been restored

Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default My faith in the Good Samaritan has been restored

I went for my morning walk at about 6.30am this morning and while out I noticed what I thought was somebody burning off some stuff (thought this was a bit odd so early in the morning).

As I got closer I saw 3 blokes pull over and get out of their van and run across the road and up the driveway to where the flames were.

Suddenly one of the blokes ran back across the road and pulled a hose out from the back of the van and ran back over to the propety.

When I actually walked by I saw that the fence between two houses was on fire and as it is tinder dry at the moment and with the northerly wind that was blowing this morning, the fire was growing at a very rapid rate.

These guys had seen the fire, stopped and put it out. I hate to think what may have happened if they hadn't seen it. Both of the houses on either side of the fence were weatherboard so it would have been easy for them to catch on fire.

No idea how the fence caught fire. My own conclusion is that one of the owners flicked a butt over to the side of their property before they got in their car (both driveways were close to the fence) and as there are lots of dry leaves around due to autumn and it being so dry anyway, it all caught fire.

Hope these guys are around if ever I need help.

Regards
Old Apr 14th 2004, 2:47 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Wow, you're right that is a faith restoring story!
The way you describe them leaping in to action makes them sound like super heroes in tight spandex suits.

Did their van have a logo on the side like 'The Fire Guys'?

No I'm not being facetious, just sound amazing that's all.
Old Apr 14th 2004, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by JulesandChris

Did their van have a logo on the side like 'The Fire Guys'?
Do you know that they were just 3 regular guys who looked like they were on their way to work (builders/brickies I think).

Not sure what I would have done if they hadn't been there, as I would have been on my own, walking past and I certainly didn't have a hose with me:scared: I didn't even have my mobile phone with me to call the Fire Brigade if needed.....(note to self - take mobile phone with me when walking).

I did notice that both properties didn't have hoses in their gardens, so probably would have knocked on the door to see if anyone was home.

Still a scary thing to have to deal with at 6.30 in the morning.:scared:

Regards
Old Apr 14th 2004, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it was Badge and Mr Dagboy again... in their superhero outfits?