Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My estimate of costs......

My estimate of costs......

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My estimate of costs......

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
My mistake, those figures are in GBP, its too early for me! So do you mean that what we pay in UK for electric etc. we'd pay the equivelent in Oz?
Morning Ozzy

For example:

Council Tax: 138 pounds a month / Council rates (includes water rates): $120 a month (for me)

In my experience, many bills here are the same number in dollars as I used to pay in pounds i.e. 1 pound = $1.

Car insurance for example, pay $440 a year, paid 480 pounds in the uk (similar size car).
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

ozzydreamer will become famous soon enoughozzydreamer will become famous soon enough

Thats interesting, looks like Ill be saving a bit of money then!

Interesting also that you are from Brisbane - where I thought it would be more expensive!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzydreamer
Thats interesting, looks like Ill be saving a bit of money then!

Interesting also that you are from Brisbane - where I thought it would be more expensive!
It depends where you are. City centre living (rental / buying) is expensive in any of the state capitals, live a little way out its generally much cheaper.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Morning Ozzy

For example:

Council Tax: 138 pounds a month / Council rates (includes water rates): $120 a month (for me)

In my experience, many bills here are the same number in dollars as I used to pay in pounds i.e. 1 pound = $1.

Car insurance for example, pay $440 a year, paid 480 pounds in the uk (similar size car).

Yep, I find that too. Except for shopping, which is about 2x the UK price (so if it's £100 in the UK, it's about £200 here - for us anyway but then I'm a notourious bargain hunter and won't pay too much for anything )
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Rent $550.00 per week.
No council tax as owner pays.
No water bill as owner pays.
Food $250-300.00 per week.
Car Insurance $500.00 per year.
Phone per month including International value pack which brings UK calls down to 2 cents per minute $26.95 per month.
Mobile phone $49.00 per month each which gives you $310 calling credit.
House contents insurance $52.00 per month.
Buildings insurance owner pays.
Fuel approx $40 per week.
No gas bills.
No tv license.
No boiler insurance.
Foxtel $115 per month for the full package. Got to be able to watch The Hammers.
Broadband $35.00 per month with Bigpond.

Dont know what the total is but it works for us.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Centurion
There are no legal fees to rent out your house. Appoint a managing agent and they will simply draft the tenancy with the incoming tenants anyhow.
We had to pay 1/2 months rent as a finder's fee for agents to advertise our house, draw up lease, provide inventory etc.
The 10% figure is a monthly cost based on income -- so if the house is empty there is no fee.
What surprised us is that all these fees are then subject to 17.5% VAT -- so the 10% is more like just under 12% and the 1/2 months finders fee was nearer to 60%....
It's all in the small print!!!! (Apparantly)
Also in the first instance you may have to pay tax on the INCOME on your house (not the profit in the first instance) until you get approval from HM Revenue and Customs to "receive rental income with no tax deducted" so although you will be able to claim this back through your tax return, in the first instance you need to be aware of this addtional expense.
Hope this makes sense. I have found the whole tax/financial aspects of the house rental really difficult to manage and very confusing -- but then I'm not really a financial person so perhaps it's just me!!!