Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My estimate of costs......

My estimate of costs......

Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future
Default Re: My estimate of costs......

hi

can anyone assist with our cost list so far

2 whv for 12 mths and 1 SMV for partner and i £1500
2 x flight £700 + £450 tax
medical and police checks £480 x 2

total £4760

dont think we will have much left, but do we need to prove our saving on entry? going in around 6 mths

any other cash we have to take with us.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:14 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo
This is our monthly outgoings (we're in Sydney but not CBD so you could easily double the rent for CBD).

We gave ourselves $10k to get a car when we first arrived and couldnt believe the crap we would get for that! Ended up increasing our budget to $16k!

Spending money and groceries - you haven't quoted much at all there. As you can see from our outgoings - just for the three of us (daughter eats like a mouse!) we would spend around $1300 on groceries alone. That only leaves you with around $250 a week for spending money for all of you. Money can slip through your fingers VERY quickly when you first arrive and are trying to entertain kids aswell as set up your new life.

HTH

Rach
$1300 a month on gorceries and your daughter eats like a mouse???? Honestly, that is far too much!! From all viewpoints and even using UK based examples thats nearly £150 a week on food!! Hey, you obviously eat well and good quality and why not indeed, but, £150 is a decent medium.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:41 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
$1300 a month on gorceries and your daughter eats like a mouse???? Honestly, that is far too much!! From all viewpoints and even using UK based examples thats nearly £150 a week on food!! Hey, you obviously eat well and good quality and why not indeed, but, £150 is a decent medium.
No........$1300 for the two months (I was giving a like for like example) ........if you look at my outgoings list (which was attached) you'll see!! If you also work out the fact that I said they would have $250 per week left over......that should have told you that too!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

What are you eating, fillet steak???? $250 to $300 is a lot!!! Do you have a large family?

Yes we do fillet steak but not every night however we do eat very well. This includes all our toiletries, nappies, etc. There is four of us, two adults and two children aged 2 and 4.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

What are you eating, fillet steak???? $250 to $300 is a lot!!! Do you have a large family?
We spend that too, shopping isn't cheap.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

You've probably seen it mentioned on other threads but supermarkets here are fairly average at best. We tend to use local butchers / greengrocers for the majority of our food shopping, the rest, cereals, tinned goods etc we get from Aldi. In the uk we didn't use Aldi at all, too 'stack em high, sell em cheap', but Aldi looks like Selfridges in comparison to Coles and Woolies. Also much cheaper, also better quality (in my opinion).

Andy
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulhill
Yes we do fillet steak but not every night however we do eat very well. This includes all our toiletries, nappies, etc. There is four of us, two adults and two children aged 2 and 4.
In your original post, you said $250-300 for food alone. You don't eat nappies, do you?

In our household baby stuff often takes up half the grocery bill too - nappies, wipes, lotions, formula, yoghurt, biscuits, extra cleaning agents, kitchen rolls, and tissue for the mess the little darlings make, plastice cups that need replacing all the time, occasional bottles of bubbles, etc...

$250-300 sounds about right for a family with 2 very young children.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

No........$1300 for the two months (I was giving a like for like example) ........if you look at my outgoings list (which was attached) you'll see!! If you also work out the fact that I said they would have $250 per week left over......that should have told you that too!
ahh!! I stand corrected madam!! It confused me cos after I sent the message I was thinking, 'hold on...yesterday her costs were the same as my estimation!!'.
Please accept my humble apologies!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:53 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

ahh!! I stand corrected madam!! It confused me cos after I sent the message I was thinking, 'hold on...yesterday her costs were the same as my estimation!!'.
Please accept my humble apologies!!
Humble apologies accepted
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:54 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by northernbird
We spend that too, shopping isn't cheap.
I can appreciate that but jeez...we are trying to give a happy medium here, not an example of being able to be extravagant! But, as a caveat, if I could afford it I would spend a fortune on food!! Love my food me!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:55 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Humble apologies accepted
Why thankyou fair maiden!!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:56 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate that but jeez...we are trying to give a happy medium here, not an example of being able to be extravagant! But, as a caveat, if I could afford it I would spend a fortune on food!! Love my food me!!
I am not extravagant in the slightest when it comes to food shopping. There is no getting away from the fact that groceries are expensive.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:02 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I am not extravagant in the slightest when it comes to food shopping. There is no getting away from the fact that groceries are expensive.
Ok, so that I can get an good cross example here, what size is your family? Sorry if I sounded condescending about your amount, its really none of my business, but I am trying to come to a happy median for all us newbies!
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Ok, so that I can get an good cross example here, what size is your family? Sorry if I sounded condescending about your amount, its really none of my business, but I am trying to come to a happy median for all us newbies!
2 adults, 2 kids aged 10 and 5. We eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, lots of meat. Newbies need to be aware that food is expensive. I pay $4 for 1 loaf of bread so that gives you and idea.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:15 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

2 adults, 2 kids aged 10 and 5. We eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, lots of meat. Newbies need to be aware that food is expensive. I pay $4 for 1 loaf of bread so that gives you and idea.
This may be a daft question, is Fruit and Veg prolific in Perth or does it have to be imported?? I am only asking cos I was led to believe it a bit dry there and maybe the goods you buy have extra cost due to import/travel? Dumb and stupid I know but just a thought!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.