Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Wikiposts

My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:38 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: My Daughters budgie died !! What do I tell her ?

Thanks for everyones comments. She has taken it remarkably well, so far.

I picked them up the airport, and within minutes was asked "How's the bird"
So I explained it that it fell sick and died quickly. A few tears, then back home and checked the grave, a few more tears. But so far so good. I think I went through more emotional turmoil wondering how she would react, than she has done !

No talk, so far, of a replacement.

Now I am wondering about how it did actually die? I had new security screens installed the previous day, and I think that the fly screen is emitting a smell, but not all the time. The budgie lived right by the patio door and would have inhaled a lot of the smell from it. The problem is that no one else, other than me, has smelt it yet, and I only smelt it after the event.

Has anyone else had new screens fitted that had a strange smell ?

Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

That is going to be a pythonesque moment when you phone them - " your screens killed my budgie" etc.

Perhaps its the glue settling or just smell from factory packing wearing off. When it pours with rain in about 45 minutes judging by the clouds out in the bay it should wash off?.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:18 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

So I explained it that it fell sick and died quickly. A few tears, then back home and checked the grave, a few more tears. But so far so good. I think I went through more emotional turmoil wondering how she would react, than she has done !

Now I am wondering about how it did actually die? I had new security screens installed the previous day, and I think that the fly screen is emitting a smell, but not all the time. The budgie lived right by the patio door and would have inhaled a lot of the smell from it. The problem is that no one else, other than me, has smelt it yet, and I only smelt it after the event.

ABCD,

Very sorry to hear about the pet's demise

The screens may have been treated with insect repellent, & some repellents can be harmful to household pets. The guy that 'bombed' our house with anti spider chemicals was a bit evasive about the effect on the birds in the roofspace.

Sadly, I know from personal experience that Vapona fly strips (probably not sold any longer) have the ability to kill a tankful of tropical fish....

May be worth checking out.

Anya.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
ABCD,

Very sorry to hear about the pet's demise

The screens may have been treated with insect repellent, & some repellents can be harmful to household pets. The guy that 'bombed' our house with anti spider chemicals was a bit evasive about the effect on the birds in the roofspace.

Sadly, I know from personal experience that Vapona fly strips (probably not sold any longer) have the ability to kill a tankful of tropical fish....

May be worth checking out.

Anya.
5 Pages for a dead budgie, I suppose the Mods and BE Server owners thank God that it wasn't a horse
Old Jun 7th 2005, 4:20 am
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Stuff it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayne
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I was reading on an internet site recently about the fatal effects on pet birds of PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) which as we know is the non-stick coating on some cooking utensils. Heated to a certain temperature, saucepans and grillpans etc have emitted fumes (undetected by humans smell-wise) which have killed pet parrots, budgies etc. In other words, they are sensitive to fumes which a) we cannot smell and b) don't kill us. There are reams of info on this if you do a search. Anyway, my point is that it could have been the flyscreens (are they coated with anything to make them slide easily, for example?) - or - were you cooking and (forgive me) like some folks do, left alone to do the cooking, having a good old fry-up in a non-stick pan? Just some thoughts. Gee, you really are heart-searching over this aren't you, I can sense you feel deeply.