Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vagrants In Melbourne

Vagrants In Melbourne

Old Jun 4th 2005, 6:21 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Vagrants In Melbourne

Is it just the suburb I have moved to or does everyone have a few of these abusive locals in their area?

I am in Caulfield/Malvern, near that hospital where Kylie was last week.

I just walked down to the video shop about an hour ago and witnessed one bloke pushing a couple of OAPs out the way on the footpath so that he could pick up a semi-extinguised cigarette end that was lying there, and on the way back I was confronted in the Coles car park by a bearded un-washed bloke who stinked of Gin or some sort of alcoholic beverage asking me for five dollars. I mumbled something like "yeeah right", only for this bloke to start shouting at me as I walked off "come back here ya smug ****** I'll smack yer right in the mouth" and other profanities.

Now I dont see many beggars, tramps etc in the city so I can only assume that the cbd is well policed and they are cleared out to the suburbs.

I do feel sad about their prediciment as it cannot be a nice life to live but giving an abusive bloke in the supermarket carpark $5 to spend on scotch is not the solution.

NJJ
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:37 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vagrants In Melbourne

Originally Posted by NJJ
Is it just the suburb I have moved to or does everyone have a few of these abusive locals in their area?

I just walked down to the video shop about an hour ago and witnessed one bloke pushing a couple of OAPs out the way on the footpath so that he could pick up a semi-extinguised cigarette end that was lying there, and on the way back I was confronted in the Coles car park by a bearded un-washed bloke who stinked of Gin or some sort of alcoholic beverage asking me for five dollars. I mumbled something like "yeeah right", only for this bloke to start shouting at me as I walked off "come back here ya smug ****** I'll smack yer right in the mouth" and other profanities.

Now I dont see many beggars, tramps etc in the city so I can only assume that the cbd is well policed and they are cleared out to the suburbs.

I do feel sad about their prediciment as it cannot be a nice life to live but giving an abusive bloke in the supermarket carpark $5 to spend on scotch is not the solution.

NJJ
You can come across this in any of the capital cities in OZ, but its more noticeable in sydney or melbourne due to the size of the population.
I wouldn't give them any money either.
Some of these people have mental illness or psychological problems. There is usually always a history of substance abuse and a background of domestic violence and/or violence in general.

Nearly all of them get centrelink benefits, they just choose not to rent even a boarding house room some of them. Others are probably "blacklisted" by real estate agencies due to history of non-payment of rent and/or damaging property. Some intervention is needed at a state or commonwealth level to address this situation.

I imagine most their money goes on cigs, alcohol and takeaway food. Fortuantely the overwhelming majority of centrelink clients do live in proper accomodation, pay rent, buy groceries and cook.

This also reminds me of the UK situation whereby people on govt benefits are actively discriminated against by many real estate agencies. A situation that is outrageous and should be stopped by the UK government.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 8:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwichild
You can come across this in any of the capital cities in OZ, but its more noticeable in sydney or melbourne due to the size of the population.
I wouldn't give them any money either.
Some of these people have mental illness or psychological problems. There is usually always a history of substance abuse and a background of domestic violence and/or violence in general.

Nearly all of them get centrelink benefits, they just choose not to rent even a boarding house room some of them. Others are probably "blacklisted" by real estate agencies due to history of non-payment of rent and/or damaging property. Some intervention is needed at a state or commonwealth level to address this situation.

I imagine most their money goes on cigs, alcohol and takeaway food. Fortuantely the overwhelming majority of centrelink clients do live in proper accomodation, pay rent, buy groceries and cook.

This also reminds me of the UK situation whereby people on govt benefits are actively discriminated against by many real estate agencies. A situation that is outrageous and should be stopped by the UK government.
Not only do some of these people get money from Centrelink but here in Geraldton there are also rescource centres. we have people coming into the backpakcers all the time with vouchers from these rescourse centres saying that they can have free accom and we can bill the rescource centre. very often the vouchers has the name of the lady and states her children funny thing is when they get here they have no children but do have a drunk bloke instead. I wont let them stay here as far as I am concerned this is a backpackers for Backpacker and me and the backpackers don't need the crap that follows SOME of these people. saying that there are lots of guest houses around who will and do accomadate them.

Kala
Old Jun 4th 2005, 9:03 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Not only do some of these people get money from Centrelink but here in Geraldton there are also rescource centres. we have people coming into the backpakcers all the time with vouchers from these rescourse centres saying that they can have free accom and we can bill the rescource centre. very often the vouchers has the name of the lady and states her children funny thing is when they get here they have no children but do have a drunk bloke instead. I wont let them stay here as far as I am concerned this is a backpackers for Backpacker and me and the backpackers don't need the crap that follows SOME of these people. saying that there are lots of guest houses around who will and do accomadate them.

Kala
A backpackers is a private business and is different to the real estate situation I was pointing out exists here and in UK.

Having stayed at backpackers in OZ and the UK, I am sure the majority of clients have an expectation they will meet other travellers from around the country and overseas NOT rough mannered, unkempt, drunks and addicts.

I fully support your right to determine who you will accept business from.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:31 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Sorry NJJ I didn't mean to swear at you, I was desperate for a drink though.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:41 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
and the fag

Hmm, Nick in all the time i've lived here i've never seen that type of behaviour in VIC, you must be in a dodgy burb!! In W/A i saw it a fair bit though, i must too have been in a dodgy burb or two
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:46 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NJJ

NJJ
That's Caulfield/Malvern for ya It's not all horse racing and sparkling water ya know.

A.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Had a similar experience in St.Kilda, which gets a bit seedy at night. But also of course had it in London etc. $5 is a bit cheeky though, it's usually 50c for a "cup of tea"...

Also was on a tram in Mel once, and a guy got on board and publicly announced his problems etc prior to asking for a donation, but before he could finish a group of labourers who were also on board really laid into him verbally for being a lazy bludger and told him in no uncertain terms to get a job. He got off the tram sharpish.
Old Jun 4th 2005, 1:29 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Storini
Had a similar experience in St.Kilda, which gets a bit seedy at night. But also of course had it in London etc. $5 is a bit cheeky though, it's usually 50c for a "cup of tea"...
You get a better class of vagrant in Malvern though.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:49 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy

Wow Bordy you've assimilated to Aussie way of life really well!!

I've seen the first bloke in the area before, but not the abusive 'Bordy' bloke.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

'Yeahh right' is perhaps not the sort of reply I would suggest to someone who might be mentally disturbed.

The most aggressive and frightening experiences I have had with vagrants were in York (a guy bouncing off the shop windows in the Shambles with a plastic bag with glue in it attached to his mouth and nose) and in Galway (a guy with a knife asking for money for a cup of tea!). There was also a time at Central Station, Glasgow on New Year's Day (a guy legless on the platform demanding money). In the first two cases it wasn't too difficult to outrun them and in the third case 'no way Jimmy' in my Aussie accent was sufficient!

Sadly, you get it everywhere, least of all a city with 3.5 million inhabitants.

OzTennis
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:25 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
'Yeahh right' is perhaps not the sort of reply I would suggest to someone who might be mentally disturbed.
When such thing should occur again what would you suggest is said on the spur of the moment then, O Confucius?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
When such thing should occur again what would you suggest is said on the spur of the moment then, O Confucius?
Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.
Man who drive like hell, bound to get there.
War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.
Man who lives in glass house should change in basement
Lady who go camping must beware of evil intent.
Man who leap off cliff jump to conclusion.
Man who run in front of car, get tired
Man who run behind car, get exhausted

Sorry, what does Confuscius suggest? 'Nah, sorry mate'; pretend not to hear; ignore and walk on; cross to the other side of the street if you see in time; pretend to be on your mobile phone; 'I'm broke myself mate'; etc.

OzTennis

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 6th 2005 at 10:58 am.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:22 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Man who wants pretty nurse, must be patient.
Man who drive like hell, bound to get there.
War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.
Man who lives in glass house should change in basement
Lady who go camping must beware of evil intent.
Man who leap off cliff jump to conclusion.
Man who run in front of car, get tired
Man who run behind car, get exhausted

Sorry, what does Confuscius suggest? 'Nah, sorry mate'; pretend not to hear; ignore and walk on; cross to the other side of the street if you see in time; pretend to be on your mobile phone; 'I'm broke myself mate'; etc.

OzTennis
Had one of my sisters chasing me today cos I wouldn't give her a cigarette, she had a walking frame when she asked me so I thought I was pretty safe in telling her to go buy her own, her bad legs were soon fixed when I didn't give her the right answer. she also decided that I was no longer her "oi lady, sister" but a "white ******"

had the same ladies male friend giving me a load of abuse last night aswell for not goin into the bottle shop for him cos they wouldn't serve him as he was too drunk
Old Jun 8th 2005, 10:55 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

'Nah, sorry mate'; pretend not to hear; ignore and walk on; cross to the other side of the street if you see in time; pretend to be on your mobile phone; 'I'm broke myself mate'; etc.

OzTennis

That's all well and good in an ideal world, but when a scary looking stranger approaches me again with a similar request who knows what will be said on the spur of the moment.. 99% of people would be the same. Whilst you think you would know what to say when confronted, when you actually are in the situation any wise words beforehand or planning ahead goes out the window so to speak......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.