Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My daughter wants a dog!!

My daughter wants a dog!!

Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:57 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute
Default My daughter wants a dog!!

My daughter is desperate to get a Cocker Spaniel puppy, but now with our application sailing along we have told her she needs to wait till we get to oz.....well fingers crossed we will.

Does anyone know do they have Cocker Spaniels in Australia????
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:59 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My daughter wants a dog!!

Originally Posted by toon williams
My daughter is desperate to get a Cocker Spaniel puppy, but now with our application sailing along we have told her she needs to wait till we get to oz.....well fingers crossed we will.

Yes they do
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:02 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Yes they do

Thank god for that....think she would of changed her mind about coming with us and set up home on her own otherwise!! She is only 6 years old!!! But going on about 15 years old!! Little Madam!!

Thanks for reply
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:26 am
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams

Just found this website, gives breeders plus puppies available. Not sure where you're heading in Oz but covers most states. And you a right in waiting until you get there!

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/...er_spaniel.asp

D D
Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Just found this website, gives breeders plus puppies available. Not sure where you're heading in Oz but covers most states. And you a right in waiting until you get there!

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/...er_spaniel.asp

D D

I have a cocker spaniel/ springer spaniel cross. (see avatar). Got him from the Animal Welfare league.

http://www.awlqld.com.au/

Can I recommend you check out the local dog shelter before buying a breeders pup. Its cheaper, they're vaccinated and de-sexed, and they need homes!!!

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jul 19th 2005 at 11:32 am.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:11 pm
An Official Visa Holder

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I have a cocker spaniel/ springer spaniel cross. (see avatar). Got him from the Animal Welfare league.

Can I recommend you check out the local dog shelter before buying a breeders pup. Its cheaper, they're vaccinated and de-sexed, and they need homes!!!

JTL

Yes we will do, not heading out until beginigng of next year once we there and settled will start looking!! Just she really wants a cocker spaniel, no other breed will do!!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:12 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

JTL
Good advice, there are plenty of unwanted animals in the world without more having to be bred.

Some k coming your way
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:22 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

JTL
Hi JTL

I wasn't condoning only buying from a breeder, I was just trying to make a point that, yes, you can get cocker spaniels in Oz and here's a starter for 10. It depends on the individual whether they choose from a breeder or shelter. I've done the breeders, you've done the shelter, job done!!

D D
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

When we came over, part of the 'deal' for the kids was a dog. And it was the best thing we ever did. Lampard really is a huge part of our family now. I was a bit hesitant at first...not wanting to be tied down with a dog, but there is NO WAY I would be without him now!!!!.............Well, only sometimes, like the time we left him 'home alone' and he 'ate' the cushions off our leather chesterfield!!
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi JTL

I wasn't condoning only buying from a breeder, I was just trying to make a point that, yes, you can get cocker spaniels in Oz and here's a starter for 10. It depends on the individual whether they choose from a breeder or shelter. I've done the breeders, you've done the shelter, job done!!

D D

Yes I know. I was just doing a plug for the animal shelters,

And yes you can get cockers here no problem, in fact I've got one staring at me at the moment (yeah like he's gonna get a walk at this time of night ). Our neighbours also have a pure bred (fat) one as well,

JTL
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

JTL

Thanks for that link JTL. I have promised my children they can each have a dog when we get to Australia.

My daughter has had her heart set on a chihuahua for about 2 years now so will definitely need a breeder for that one. My son however likes alsations. When we watched crufts this year he particularly liked all the agility dogs and at nearly 10 I think he would just like a dog to be a frined who he can have fun with. I have previously discussed rehoming a dog with him and he is keen to do that. I think it would be the best way for him as he can find out what the dogs temperament is etc. before we took it home. Will certainly be visiting this shelter when we are arrived and settled.

What are the general rules regarding dogs? I know they obviously need registering etc. but too be honest I haven't really looked into that much yet as it is some way off. My daughter seems to think that there is a limit to 2 dogs per family is that right, it seems odd to me that's all.

Tracey
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:39 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

Yes I know. I was just doing a plug for the animal shelters,

And yes you can get cockers here no problem, in fact I've got one staring at me at the moment (yeah like he's gonna get a walk at this time of night ). Our neighbours also have a pure bred (fat) one as well,

JTL
We already have an Australian Shepherd and desperately want another but I've told my boys that it would be better to wait until we get to melbourne. I'll check out the local shelters when we get there! We've always had rescue dogs, apart from our Milly (I'm having to resist the urge to shamelessly post yet another piccy of her, can't have too much of a good thing )

D D
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tracey.d
What are the general rules regarding dogs? I know they obviously need registering etc. but too be honest I haven't really looked into that much yet as it is some way off. My daughter seems to think that there is a limit to 2 dogs per family is that right, it seems odd to me that's all.

Tracey
I can only talk for Redland shire, but I assume its the same for QLD. Yes, you are only allowed two dogs unless you are a breeder, or can give a good reason why you need more than two dogs.

You need to register them, in redlandshire, its cost $34 for the first year, about $70 after that, unless you have them desexed.

Heres the site that will give you all the info you need (well for Redlandshire anyway)

http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/rscweb....cfm?doc_id=24

Cheers,
JTL
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:48 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

If our new puppy keeps us up all night again it'll be on ebay in the morning so there's one you can have.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we have that restriction too, I think it must be a general thing throughout Australia. I guess they are trying to keep down numbers of nuisance barking dogs and backyard breeders by limiting households. You can have more than two, you just have to apply to the Rangers and see if it will be permitted, I expect they would come out to your premises to check if they would suitably house more than two dogs and to maybe ask your intentions for having more than two.

The dogzonline website mentioned earlier isn't just a place to find breeders and puppies; it also has an online discussion forum (similar to this one) where you can post questions or search for info on anything doggy. Quite a useful place to look for training tips etc.

We were also "hounded" by the kids to get a puppy when we moved here. Hubby could no longer use the excuse that the garden wasn't big enough. Middle child was also a bit wary of dogs, but that has gone completely since owning one. We started off with one Beagle, but of course had to get a companion for him, so bought another shortly after. Me and the kids love them to bits, hubby rather less so....... still at least we've never had any destruction issues with furniture (the kinder weather means they can spend much more time outside, lazing in the sun) but muggins here seems to be chief pooper-scooper