Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My container's arrived, why the delay?

My container's arrived, why the delay?

Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:20 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My container's arrived, why the delay?

My container arrived on Friday 14 Dec but as far as I know its still sitting on the dock. I've phoned Pickfords who said it could be at least a couple of weeks before its delivered, Christmas shut down etc..etc..

I'm thinking they're leaving it there because they don't want to do the delivery until after Christmas and this way they're avoiding storage charges. But is this just me being cynical, or are they powerless to get it off the wharf unless its called for by Customs, or whatever?

I wasn't expecting to get it before Christmas but I don't like the idea of it still being on the dock either.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My container's arrived, why the delay?

I was speaking to a friend last night whose stuff also arrived on Friday with Pickfords, so must be the same ship. She has been less than impressed with them all the way thorugh - and they have lost her paperwork now; she has been told two weeks as well. TBH when our stuff arrived in July we were also told two weeks from arrival to delivery though we got it in around 10 days, so with the Christmas shut down here I would have thought you'll be doing well to get it in two weeks. Businesses really do close down here - someone told me a couple of weeks back that the Christmas slowdown had started already so I would imagine that they are probably being truthful in saying that there is nobody to shift it now until after the holidays.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:14 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
My container arrived on Friday 14 Dec but as far as I know its still sitting on the dock. I've phoned Pickfords who said it could be at least a couple of weeks before its delivered, Christmas shut down etc..etc..

I'm thinking they're leaving it there because they don't want to do the delivery until after Christmas and this way they're avoiding storage charges. But is this just me being cynical, or are they powerless to get it off the wharf unless its called for by Customs, or whatever?

I wasn't expecting to get it before Christmas but I don't like the idea of it still being on the dock either.
you have to wait for it to clear customs...ours was over 3 weeks from it docking to delivery, things take time theres loads of containers to go through, so Im afraid you just need to be patient
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

In general under normal cirumstances - from arrival of the container to having it delivered can take up to two weeks, wherever you are in Oz. During the summer (now) especially allowing for the christmas shutdown it can take up to three to four weeks.

Very frustrating I know but thats just the way it is - alot of the problems are down to the removal companies waiting for AQIS officers to inspect the goods and realease for customs clearance. But it also the busiest time of year for removalists, which compnounds the problems caused by waiting for AQIS. They never know from one day to the next when AQIS will turn up, which makes it very difficult to be able to plan anything.

Hang in!!!

Chris
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

dj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the roughdj nee is a jewel in the rough

Our stuff arrived on 14th too, and we have also been quoted 10 - 20 days....which is very annoying as Pickfords told us we would have our stuff before Xmas (was collected in the UK Sept 19th)

Gutted as many of the kids presents are there

Grrrrr
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah 2 weeks is about right, but Chrimbo shut-downs etc would make it longer.

Wait until you are hit with the 'additional' charges of seagull poo on the container cleaning charge, unexpected delivery costs, etc, etc
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:44 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pickfords has no say over when customs or AQIS inspect your container. They cannot deliver it until the inspections have been done.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

My container got into Brisbane on the 23 November. I won't be getting it until the first week of January. It's normal.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Its quite normal, its Christmas, which slows everything up, and you container just has to wait its turn.
Hearsay this week from a friend that has an import businsess was that commercial imports take priority too, so that makes the delay longer.

My stuff arrived in Brisbane Christmas Eve 4 years ago, it was delivered at the end of February, and that was just a few boxes. Sorry, but there's no way round it.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 2:50 am

Thanks everyone for the replies, guess I'll just have to be patient...it's our own fault for moving just before Christmas, should've known better really.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:16 am

Still no word from Pickfords and when I phoned earlier on there was no one around in the import dept.

Anyone else with a 14 Dec docking heard anything yet?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

our container left 23rd oct
arrived 22 november

and we got it 7 th dec we were quoted that we would get it 14th dec

glad we got it early as we too had christmas presents on it

sorry its taken so long to get yrs
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

ours took about 24 days to be delivered from docking.. (using Pickfords) and one of our boxes was missing. now waiting for insurance to pay out for the missing box.
our stuff was collected from Newcastle upon tyne on 26 July and we only got it during the last week of november. (we shared a container)
hope you have your stuff by now..
Old Jan 7th 2008, 2:49 pm
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Still no word from Pickfords and when I phoned earlier on there was no one around in the import dept.

Anyone else with a 14 Dec docking heard anything yet?
Our things landed on 7th December, left us on 29th September, we have been told they (Excess Baggage) may be sending a shipment upto Cairns in the next 10 days, but cannot guarantee our (13) boxes will be on their way then.
Sounds like there is a hold up with more than 1 company.

Good Luck