Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it just fashionable to move to oz..

is it just fashionable to move to oz..

Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:10 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute
Default is it just fashionable to move to oz..

after all those programs on start a new life etc.is it just a passing fad,will we all be back in u.k in a few years talking about our exploits down under..

thanks..

ast
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it just fashionable to move to oz..

Originally Posted by aston man
after all those programs on start a new life etc.is it just a passing fad,will we all be back in u.k in a few years talking about our exploits down under..

thanks..

ast

Dunno

People have been moving here for quite few years now
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:20 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks..

ast
Living in the hills is making you quite the thinker Ast.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

I've just watched this, 10 pound poms, http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/produc...oductid=749152 and it's like de ja vu with there comments on Oz. In 1957 one says,'its 10 years behind the Uk!'

Last edited by Gjn200; Jan 6th 2008 at 7:26 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I have to drive around rivers, through fields and along canals to get home now and its warm. When I get home I am 4 minutes drive from the beach. My weekends are so much better now, we all know its as expensive here as the Uk, we all know that you have to work hard for a living but life is better.

I am not going back to live in a rabbit hutch the UK government try to pass off as affordable housing.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:27 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I have to drive around rivers, through fields and along canals to get home now and its warm. When I get home I am 4 minutes drive from the beach. My weekends are so much better now, we all know its as expensive here as the Uk, we all know that you have to work hard for a living but life is better.

I am not going back to live in a rabbit hutch the UK government try to pass off as affordable housing.
it frightens me,the thought of going back
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

thanks..

ast
erm....Crap! I'm a sucker! I watched Wanted Down Under and did it!

They only show the good stuff, like it's a made-up programme or something!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:33 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Oz isn't fashionable (in any sense ), the countries with lots of brown people are nations de jour, just look at the celebrity adoptions.

Get yerself a visa for Mali if you want to impress people at an Islington dinner party as you mull over the world with a Chardonnay and a spot of Dido on the Bang and Olufsen.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 7:38 am
Just Joined

binksy is an unknown quantity at this point

We could not afford to move back, just seen our old neighbours house up for sale £285000!

I hope it isn't just a trend, Australia can offer many things , it can also be very demanding .

Cheers

Travis
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's fashionable. I'm the only person I know who's done it - apart from the rabble on here of course. People have been coming here since the 1700s give or take a few years The only thing that's fashionable is the questionable tv programming at the moment. I'm waiting with baited breath for Channel 10 to commission a series on Australians upping and moving overseas and following them with rose tinted editing. Maybe I need to wait a few more years.

Actually, just remembered. I told a lie. Out of 12 firepersons in small station in a town in Herts 5 have moved out here, all in QLD, 3 in Cairns, 1 in South Brissie and 1 in paradise.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Jan 6th 2008 at 8:16 am.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I came here 36 years ago as I hated life in Britain at the time.
I loved it the day I landed and I love it just as much today
Old Jan 6th 2008, 8:58 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

In general, programme makers tend to reflect trends, not set them (according to friends in the TV industry). Thus my take is that emigration has become something that it's worth making programmes about, and the programmes haven't made it fashionable. Plus, if you think about the cost-per-hour of, say Wanted Down Under, it's not actually expensive stuff to make.

If there is a trend, it might be that some people get into a habit of seeing the worst in where they are and therefore migration appears more desirable because it "promises" to get them away from those problems. Of course, there are also some sections of the press that have always taken a delight in, er, seeing the darker side!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about 'fashionable' to move to Australia, but I do think that once one person you know has made the move, it gets other people thinking about it too. At the moment there are three families in Queensland who all took their children to the same ballet classes and another family is due out this year. Also, people come to visit, love it, return to uk and apply to come.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

It can't be fashionable. I've never managed to follow fashion once in my entire life
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
It can't be fashionable. I've never managed to follow fashion once in my entire life
ditto....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.