Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Music/gigs/festivals

Music/gigs/festivals

Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:09 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Music/gigs/festivals

Ok, here in Brum we have a good choice of places to go and watch live gigs and we haven't missed a Glastonbury Festival for years. So, in Australia what's the situation for live gigs and do you have anything like Glasto?

Our favourite thing to do is watch a band at the Birmingham Academy and wondered if these small venues with good bands on are prominent in Oz??
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:23 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Music/gigs/festivals

Closest thing to Glasto is the 'Big Day Out' which is an absolute blast once a year - just leave the wellies at home and take lots of water and sunblock

Where you moving to in Aus? Can't speak for any other cities but Melbourne has tons of great small gig venues, bands vary from dire to brilliant so it's usually a case of take pot luck unless it's a name you've heard of.

Places off the top of my head which are great for gigs:

The Esplanade Hotel St Kilda (The infamous Espy)
Corner Hotel Richmond,
HiFi Bar
loads of small bars in Brunswick St Fitzroy
etc etc

Give you an idea of who's touring now and imminently:

http://www.liveguide.com.au/liveguide_tours.html
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:27 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Closest thing to Glasto is the 'Big Day Out' which is an absolute blast once a year - just leave the wellies at home and take lots of water and sunblock

Where you moving to in Aus? Can't speak for any other cities but Melbourne has tons of great small gig venues, bands vary from dire to brilliant so it's usually a case of take pot luck unless it's a name you've heard of.

Places off the top of my head which are great for gigs:

The Esplanade Hotel St Kilda (The infamous Espy)
Corner Hotel Richmond,
HiFi Bar
loads of small bars in Brunswick St Fitzroy
etc etc

Give you an idea of who's touring now and imminently:

http://www.liveguide.com.au/liveguide_tours.html
Lol, can't imagine a festival without wellies and waterproofs.

We've only really just started to consider moving to Australia, my husband is going to the Skilled Expo in London. But we'd HAVE to be somewhere we could still go to gigs. I've been hearing a lot about Melbourne I like the sound of. It's so hard thinking about where to go! I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Gigs are a big part of our life so that would be quite important.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at that link.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:29 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Green Day tickets go on sale on Thursday Friday this week. All the adverts are saying next week but there is a pre event sale on at tickettek. I think they go on at midday.

Two dates Melbourne Telstra Dome and somewhere in Sydney
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by HUP
Green Day tickets go on sale on Thursday Friday this week. All the adverts are saying next week but there is a pre event sale on at tickettek. I think they go on at midday.

Two dates Melbourne Telstra Dome and somewhere in Sydney
Hmmmm Green Day at Telstra Dome, might need binoculars methinks, see the PResidents of the USA are back in town on Oct 28th, saw at Brixton Academy a few years ago, now they were fun, might have to give that one a try.

Was hoping to go and see Sarah McLeod this Friday but on damn late shift, and got offered a free place on the guest list grrrrrrr.

Originally Posted by clippy
Lol, can't imagine a festival without wellies and waterproofs.

We've only really just started to consider moving to Australia, my husband is going to the Skilled Expo in London. But we'd HAVE to be somewhere we could still go to gigs. I've been hearing a lot about Melbourne I like the sound of. It's so hard thinking about where to go! I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Gigs are a big part of our life so that would be quite important.
Well if you make it to Melbourne look me up, always up for a gig and as most of my friends are either married with kids or in Sydney have been trotting along to quite a few on me own. (Cheap round though )
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:40 pm

Well if you make it to Melbourne look me up, always up for a gig and as most of my friends are either married with kids or in Sydney have been trotting along to quite a few on me own. (Cheap round though )[/QUOTE]

Well I'm married with a little un but it doesn't stop us going to gigs...might be a slight problem in Oz however as the grandparents won't be there for babysitting! Hmm, hadn't thought of that...maybe we'll have to go to gigs on a rota lol, i'll definately be looking you up then
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:05 pm

Well if you make it to Melbourne look me up, always up for a gig and as most of my friends are either married with kids or in Sydney have been trotting along to quite a few on me own. (Cheap round though )
Well I'm married with a little un but it doesn't stop us going to gigs...might be a slight problem in Oz however as the grandparents won't be there for babysitting! Hmm, hadn't thought of that...maybe we'll have to go to gigs on a rota lol, i'll definately be looking you up then
Um.....er.....did I say Melbourne, silly me, I'm in er.....er.....Kalgoorlie, yes that's it Kalgoorlie, such similar names always getting mixed up.....

Last edited by Flying Banana; Sep 20th 2005 at 4:17 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:07 pm

Um.....er.....did I say Melbourne, silly me, I'm in er.....er.....Kalgoorlie, yes that's it Kalgoorlie, such similar names always getting mixed up..... [/QUOTE]

Lol, did I mention I was a stalker?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 5:52 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to arrive in Brisbane on 5th Nov - we have got tickets for oasis on 27th November in Brisbane - our first concert in Oz!!!

The good thing is that we had no probs getting tickets yet they sold out in hours in Glasgow!

Foo fighters are also playing nov 28th in Brisbane - a good site to check is the mtv oz site :http://www.mtv.com.au/music/music.php?view=20 for dates and venues of big bands!

Not sure about smaller venues though - in Glasgow we have the Barrowlands for great intimate gigs or King Tuts Wah wah hut.

Lynn
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
We are going to arrive in Brisbane on 5th Nov - we have got tickets for oasis on 27th November in Brisbane - our first concert in Oz!!!

The good thing is that we had no probs getting tickets yet they sold out in hours in Glasgow!

Foo fighters are also playing nov 28th in Brisbane - a good site to check is the mtv oz site :http://www.mtv.com.au/music/music.php?view=20 for dates and venues of big bands!

Not sure about smaller venues though - in Glasgow we have the Barrowlands for great intimate gigs or King Tuts Wah wah hut.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn - I'll check that link out. Hope you enjoy your first gig in oz!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

Ok, here in Brum we have a good choice of places to go and watch live gigs and we haven't missed a Glastonbury Festival for years. So, in Australia what's the situation for live gigs and do you have anything like Glasto?

Our favourite thing to do is watch a band at the Birmingham Academy and wondered if these small venues with good bands on are prominent in Oz??
the blues festival in byron bay.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Music/gigs/festivals

Hi Clippy, just reading your post, Im also going to the skilled expo next week, what's your husband's skill? Im a chef/lecturer.
Was so interested to read you have a passion for live music, so have i and i think when we do emigrate to oz, I'll need a constant 'fix'
Festivals with loads of water and sun block??? thats class!
Peace 'n' that
Davyboy

QUOTE=clippy]Lol, can't imagine a festival without wellies and waterproofs.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at that link.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:25 am

[QUOTE=davyboy]Hi Clippy, just reading your post, Im also going to the skilled expo next week, what's your husband's skill? Im a chef/lecturer.
Was so interested to read you have a passion for live music, so have i and i think when we do emigrate to oz, I'll need a constant 'fix'
Festivals with loads of water and sun block??? thats class!
Peace 'n' that
Davyboy

Hi Dabyboy, my husband is a carpenter, really no idea what to expect from the expo. Yes I've been reading a lot about Melbourne and quite like the sound of it but I have been veering towards Perth just lately - it's mad isn't it so many different places. I don't know what the gig situation is in Perth though and I'd really really miss not being able to go and see a good band. You can't beat the feeling you get at a live gig can you.

Good look at the expo.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 1:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree, I'd say the closest thing to Glastonbury is Splendour in the Grass:

http://www.splendourinthegrass.com/

Big Day Out always looks great though - I'm too old and square to go to either.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Out here in surburbia there's not many venues. Local bands usually play at the catholic club or the local RSL. Any International bands are at the big stadiums. You can look and book on line at www.ticketmaster7.com
or http://premier.ticketek.com.au
We have kinda missed the live gig thing because we thought it would be massive out here but not as common as I would like.Also , very valid point you've already mentioned , not a lot of people to choose from the watch the kids whilst we are partying !
Hope this helps ,
All the best,
Tass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.