Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Music/gigs/festivals

Music/gigs/festivals

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:54 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all
Default Re: Music/gigs/festivals

There's also the Empress Hotel on Nicholson/Scotchmer (like the Espy). Also heaps of unpretentious places to dance w/ some fantastic DJs like First Floor and Bar Open on Brunswick (latter no cover and also has live bands). For Jazz I highly recommend Bennett's Lane Jazz club in the city and Night Cat is also quite good. And there's also the Laundry on Johnston that has British Indy nites which are good fun.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:57 am
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all

P.S. FB you can buy us a round if you like
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Not sure about smaller venues though - in Glasgow we have the Barrowlands for great intimate gigs or King Tuts Wah wah hut.
My Snow Patrol friends have seen the band there.... only UK gig I have been to was at Somerset House.

There's Splendour In The Grass, too -- I think that is a different festie than Big Day Out? but if you are used to UK festies and gig opportunities you're spoilt for choice already. Some bands will tour Australia in conjunction with Fuji Rocks in Japan. But the smaller bands simply don't have the funds to tour Oz -- they often don't even have the money to get to the US.

I feel for ya Glasto-every-summer.... maybe a visit home every year?
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:12 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hunterau
P.S. FB you can buy us a round if you like
Oh alright then

Must admit I'd heard about Bennett's Lane Jazz Club as a friend of mine from Melbourne (www.craig-schneider.com) mentioned it, although he's currently in the UK (Resident pianist at The Dorchester, Savoy and Intercontinental in London)

Originally Posted by clippy
my husband is a Carpenter
Blimey, my parents had some of his records then

There are gigs out in suburbs if you know where to look, went to see Killing Heidi who are a fairly big Aussie Band in Ferntree Gully back at Xmas and was great to see them in a pub.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:48 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I disagree, I'd say the closest thing to Glastonbury is Splendour in the Grass:

http://www.splendourinthegrass.com/

Big Day Out always looks great though - I'm too old and square to go to either.
Hey you're never too old or too square for a festival!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 6:55 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I feel for ya Glasto-every-summer.... maybe a visit home every year?
Lol, oh yes I have already said that to my husband...highly unlikely we'd be able to afford an annual trip back to England though. Arrrgghh it's gonna kill me every June.......

Actually, how much does it cost to come back to England for a holiday? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks everyone for your info on gigs, looks like there's still stuff to see if you look for it. Maybe I'll take up the guitar.....
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 8:11 am
Just Joined

x nomad is on a distinguished road

Ok, here in Brum we have a good choice of places to go and watch live gigs and we haven't missed a Glastonbury Festival for years. So, in Australia what's the situation for live gigs and do you have anything like Glasto?

Our favourite thing to do is watch a band at the Birmingham Academy and wondered if these small venues with good bands on are prominent in Oz??

Try Looking out for The John Butler Trio, Carus and the new believers, The Beautiful Girls or the Martin Harley Band (MHB are UK based but play Oz ocassionally) ......
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 2:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for your info on gigs, looks like there's still stuff to see if you look for it. Maybe I'll take up the guitar.....
Develop a liking for Oz/Kiwi bands?

Zane Lowe from Radio One grew up in NZ, email him and ask him for some recommendations.
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

x nomad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Develop a liking for Oz/Kiwi bands?

Zane Lowe from Radio One grew up in NZ, email him and ask him for some recommendations.
http://www.carus.com.au/

http://www.johnbutlertrio.com/

The Martin Harley Band

http://www.thewaifs.com.au/

http://www.thebeautifulgirls.com/
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 5:06 pm

www.killingheidi.com.au

www.petemurray.com

www.sarahmcleod.com.au

www.redphoenixband.com

www.powderfinger.com

www.grinspoon.com.au

www.spazzys.com

www.jettheband.com

www.thelivingend.com.au

and for gigs (Melbourne)

www.cornerhotel.com

www.thehifi.com.au

www.espy.com.au

www.mercurylounge.com.au

www.beat.com.au
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:53 pm
Don't mention the Spiders

GoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant futureGoingToOz has a brilliant future

This is going to sound really pathetic - but Depeche Mode are touring again at the end of this year / beginning of next, with all European and UK dates being in the New Year. This means that I am going to miss them - and they are not playing Oz.

Now I am a HUGE DM fan, and this has caused me some completely stupid dithering - should I delay going etc etc. To the extent that I was even considering flying out to the USA to see them there in November before I go!!!!!

Anyway - now resigning myself to the fact that I may never see them play live again - and having to give myself a stern talking to that I can't run the rest of my life on one gig

I am sure you all think I am mad, but hey! You'd be right

And HUP will know what I mean when I say - no more SoM either

Rock On!
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by GoingToOz
This is going to sound really pathetic - but Depeche Mode are touring again at the end of this year / beginning of next, with all European and UK dates being in the New Year. This means that I am going to miss them - and they are not playing Oz.

Now I am a HUGE DM fan, and this has caused me some completely stupid dithering - should I delay going etc etc. To the extent that I was even considering flying out to the USA to see them there in November before I go!!!!!

Anyway - now resigning myself to the fact that I may never see them play live again - and having to give myself a stern talking to that I can't run the rest of my life on one gig

I am sure you all think I am mad, but hey! You'd be right

And HUP will know what I mean when I say - no more SoM either

Rock On!
Shem, I'll send you some Karma.
Ahh, I know what you mean - I'm not a DM fan but I know if it was someone I really liked i'd be gutted too. We got married in Vegas this year and found out that The Killers were going to be playing in Vegas their home town whilst we were there! Well we did everything we could to get tickets and were super gutted when they sold out in a nanosecond. Couldn't beleive we'd go all that way and they'd be playing and we couldn't see them do their hometown gig.

Turned out ok in the end though cus my superfantastic mate bought us all tickets off ebay so Hard Rock Hotel off we went! YEY! Bit of an odd gig though, the americans just kind of stood around watching quietly, no mosh pit or anything, really small venue and yet loads of space cus no-one was cramming. Far too civilised for my liking, especially as we'd seem them in Birmingham a month or so before and my feet didn't touch the floor for most of the gig people were ramming to the front so much - ahhh fab I love gigs like that

Thanks to t'others for the links I've sent you some Karma
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:25 am

Saw the Killers at St Kilda just before Xmas. They were great. Decent venue, not too small, not too big, was pretty much rammed full. Crowd was pretty good, loads of people jumping around in the front half and back half was more subdued so ideal for going for a beer and not spilling it or just getting your breath back.

I can sympathise with 'Going To Oz', not a massive DM fan either but they are one of those bands that tour once in a blue moon which makes it much more special. Same with SoM, last time I saw them was a few years ago now at Brixton Academy and as they had been off the gig scene for a while was a brilliant atmosphere.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:27 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

www.hilltophoods.com
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

ive found australia to be rubbish for gigs compared to the uk, but i guess it depends what your in to. I like the Annandale in sydney and the metro have some good gigs (where i met hubby!). Ive been here a year and only been to three gigs. ain uk it would have been once a week usually.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.