Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mums in WA please!

Mums in WA please!

Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of
Default Mums in WA please!

Hi everyone

We are emigrating in January and we have a 2, 4 and 6 year old. Have been looking into the car seats and realise that we have to have a proper car seat with anchor for the 2 year old and a high back booster for the 4 year old and a normal booster for the 6 year old.

When I went onto the net and looked up the shops in Mandurah the booster seat for the 6 year old is virtually the same as the Graco one he uses here and the high back booster seat for the 4 year old is the exact same one he has here - Britax hi-liner. Please tell me I can just take the car seats for the 6 and 4 year old with me from the Uk. It seems pretty pointless to buy the exact same ones out there. I will buy a new one for the 2 year old as it has to be anchored into the car but the other two are only fastened in with the seat belt only and are just placed onto the seat.

Anyone else taken theirs with them for this age group?

Sorry to go on.

Nic
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Mums in WA please!

Originally Posted by Nic938
Hi everyone

We are emigrating in January and we have a 2, 4 and 6 year old. Have been looking into the car seats and realise that we have to have a proper car seat with anchor for the 2 year old and a high back booster for the 4 year old and a normal booster for the 6 year old.

When I went onto the net and looked up the shops in Mandurah the booster seat for the 6 year old is virtually the same as the Graco one he uses here and the high back booster seat for the 4 year old is the exact same one he has here - Britax hi-liner. Please tell me I can just take the car seats for the 6 and 4 year old with me from the Uk. It seems pretty pointless to buy the exact same ones out there. I will buy a new one for the 2 year old as it has to be anchored into the car but the other two are only fastened in with the seat belt only and are just placed onto the seat.

Anyone else taken theirs with them for this age group?

Sorry to go on.

Nic
My understanding is that the seats have to pass the Oz standards. I do however hear and see many people using the Graco ones you talk about. One thing they do suggest in Oz is using a child harness with all types of high back boosters (offers more support than seat belt alone).

High back boosters are about $50 in toys r us.

The issues is not about safety but about insurance companies covering you in the event of an accident. For the sake of £20 per seat (a little more if you buy a harness) I would be tempted to pick up a new one here. That's just me.

I felt my Britax car seat in the UK for my toddlers were much better than there Maxi Riders here but I left them and bought new ones and they cost a fortune.

Not sure if this answers your question but its very much a personal thing.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;5311245]My understanding is that the seats have to pass the Oz standards. I do however hear and see many people using the Graco ones you talk about. One thing they do suggest in Oz is using a child harness with all types of high back boosters (offers more support than seat belt alone).

The issues is not about safety but about insurance companies covering you in the event of an accident. For the sake of £20 per seat (a little more if you buy a harness) I would be tempted to pick up a new one here. That's just me.

I felt my Britax car seat in the UK for my toddlers were much better than there Maxi Riders here but I left them and bought new ones and they cost a fortune.

Not sure if this answers your question but its very much a personal thing.[/Q

Hi Poppet

You are right about being a personal thing, it is just really hard to justify in my head that the car seat he leaves at Heathrow is the EXACT same one I buy again in Perth when I could just take it with me!

Suppose I just wanted to rant really

nic
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Nic938;5311274]
Originally Posted by PoppetUK
My understanding is that the seats have to pass the Oz standards. I do however hear and see many people using the Graco ones you talk about. One thing they do suggest in Oz is using a child harness with all types of high back boosters (offers more support than seat belt alone).

Not sure if this answers your question but its very much a personal thing.[/Q

Hi Poppet

You are right about being a personal thing, it is just really hard to justify in my head that the car seat he leaves at Heathrow is the EXACT same one I buy again in Perth when I could just take it with me!

Suppose I just wanted to rant really

nic
Why don't you stick it on the plane and at least you can use it once you get here.

We brought our car seats that we could use on the plane with us and used them until we got the new ones.

For some reason car seat things get me going. It bugs the hell out of me that we can't use a perfectly decent seat here. I still reckon that my Britax is better than the rubbish I am using now. My nearly 2 year old would have been in something a lot more sturdy until nearly 4 yet he is in a seat that doubles up as a booster. I guess the weight banding is just different to.

I am sure we'll get over it!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=PoppetUK;5311310]
Originally Posted by Nic938
Why don't you stick it on the plane and at least you can use it once you get here.

We brought our car seats that we could use on the plane with us and used them until we got the new ones.

For some reason car seat things get me going. It bugs the hell out of me that we can't use a perfectly decent seat here. I still reckon that my Britax is better than the rubbish I am using now. My nearly 2 year old would have been in something a lot more sturdy until nearly 4 yet he is in a seat that doubles up as a booster. I guess the weight banding is just different to.

I am sure we'll get over it!
Just realised that my daughter would nearly be out of the weight range to use her forward facing seat in the UK any how.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, your right we will get over it but my OH probably won't. Once again, can I have some money please for the same thing that I had in the UK, he will have a fit, butyou know men, they just don't understand.

Nic