Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Multi-regional DVDs'

Multi-regional DVDs'

Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice
Default Multi-regional DVDs'

Hello

we have a reasonable collection of DVD's in the UK that we would want to bring to Oz. We are also 'burning' several videos' onto DVD.

To play these there I gess that i will need a multi- regional DVD player, is that right?

Are there any problems bringing out our dvd / video player when we move? Any comments, suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Mark
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:45 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Multi-regional DVDs'

Originally Posted by MarkandS
Hello

we have a reasonable collection of DVD's in the UK that we would want to bring to Oz. We are also 'burning' several videos' onto DVD.

To play these there I gess that i will need a multi- regional DVD player, is that right?

Are there any problems bringing out our dvd / video player when we move? Any comments, suggestions welcome.
Thanks

Mark
Cant comment of oz elec but yes you will need a multi region dvd player some in fact a lot have this ability with out a chip going in but by typing a secret code in to the remote. what model of DVD player do you have.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 8:52 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to look up the multiregion code. Electric is the same. The thing you might have to watch out for is that they don't use scart here, instead using phono connectors. Not sure if they sell the converters here. You can get multiregion out here

This kind of thing

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...hono&doy=18m11
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
You should be able to look up the multiregion code. Electric is the same. The thing you might have to watch out for is that they don't use scart here, instead using phono connectors. Not sure if they sell the converters here. You can get multiregion out here

This kind of thing

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...hono&doy=18m11
Indeed, you can buy the Scart to RCA adapters in places like DSE.

DVD players are pretty cheap and most can be hacked to be multi-region buy entering a code on your remote control. This page has details for a whole host of makes and models.

Hope this helps;

--paj
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:50 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Mark
The simplest thing is to enter the hack code to the DVD player to make it play all regions. It is very easy to do and easy to find the codes on Google.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Mark
Our dvd player works ok but the digital tuner wont pick out up (different frequency apparently )
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

MarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really niceMarkandS is just really nice

Thank you forthe replies, at least i know what to do now. i think that i will make sure i have the codes before we go and convert my current dvd player into a multi regional player, if not already. must remember to go and check!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 3:07 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

bloody hell dont burn the videos onto dvd's it is classed as unauthorized copying! you bring that into OZ you will heading for trouble if customs gets hold of it!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
bloody hell dont burn the videos onto dvd's it is classed as unauthorized copying! you bring that into OZ you will heading for trouble if customs gets hold of it!

Thanks for the warning. i was going to put all our videos' onto DVD as we are not likely to bring both DVD and Video player to Oz. Do customs look that deep into your stuff when you bring it in a container?

Mark
Old Nov 18th 2007, 5:01 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the warning. i was going to put all our videos' onto DVD as we are not likely to bring both DVD and Video player to Oz. Do customs look that deep into your stuff when you bring it in a container?

Mark
from what i have read yes, if they want to. anything sentimental or of value take with you on the plane! do not risk anything of that nature in the container,i have read far too many stories of things going missing, destroyed etc and they cant get back as it was sentimental. anything you are willing to risk, bung in the container, same with stuff that can be replaced. photos, jewellery(all of it), expensive tools-especially for tradies, take on the plane. it will be worth paying the extra for that peace of mind.

havent made the move yet, but we will be very carefull about what is going in the container.

good luck
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:54 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Mark

No problems bring your dvd player and dvd's.

You can use either RCA connections, or as said scart to rca, component, or Y--br--bg whatever its called ( never can remember )

Oz is region 4, I brought all my dvd's , soon ditched old dvd player, in favour of a multi region sony dvd player, with hdmi out.a DVP-NS76H

Not expensive and it has one wicked feature... it remembers upto i think 100 dvd's , where you stopped them, and resumes play from the last place you saw upto.

If you decide to sell your dvd's when you get here, give me a call, im a fanatic !!!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:40 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Mark
Not all the time. They may randomly check cartons to see if there is anything illegal ie wood, plants etc, but not usual go into the items such as dvd's and sort through them, unless they are a commercial quantity and quality that is obviously for sale, despite what someone has already said. If that is the case, evveryone in Australia, including Customs and Police officials would have to be arrested because it is technically "illegal" to record programs of the tv.
A good idea is to mark the cartons and provide list of carton numbers and contents to shipper to give to Customs and AQIS.

Last edited by The Bloke; Nov 18th 2007 at 7:50 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:50 am
Edi-Tsv-Bne-Edi-Bne-?

Fejaouk will become famous soon enoughFejaouk will become famous soon enough

Another option you have is to play them on your computer, there are many programs that allow your computer to bypass the region problem.

Scott.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:55 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a cheapy MTV DVD player from the supermarket...it plays anything you throw at it....fantastic wee player...and was only $45
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:44 am
Just Joined

linda g is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought a $40 multi-region dvd player in a perth shopping centre and its brill, cant remember the name of the shop but can find out