Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mullaloo, hillarys....

Wikiposts

mullaloo, hillarys....

Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mullaloo, hillarys....

Originally Posted by JPSUPERHOOPER
here here!

what about ashby?
24% English.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:03 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Knew we should have moved to Victoria

I agree with Dorothy about the footie shirts, stickers etc etc but I live in
Hillarys and once you get into the actual suburb it's quite nice and we haven't met that many Brits here. All of my neighbours are Ozzies and we get along brilliantly with them. We know 2 English families in Hillarys neither of whom wear Man U football shirts.

Without a doubt down at Hillarys Harbour which is a tourist mecca full of gift shops selling overpriced tat and expensive restaurants selling crap food you will get the type of Brits you are talking about especially at the weekend.

The thing is there is a very safe kiddies beach there, trampolines, water slides and funfair rides for the little ones and if that's what floats your boat it is the only place for miles that offers this. So with the amount of Brits in Perth it stands to reason that is where they will go for entertainment.

For Croydon facelifts, muffin tops, bling and Burberry go to Lakeside Shopping Centre in Joondalup

The Northern suburbs tag also covers any suburb NOR but tbh lots of suburbs do have a majority of Ozzies living in them. It tends to be the further north, the more Brits. The more southern northern burbs like North Beach, Marmion and Waterman's Bay are extremely expensive (median House price in Waterman's Bay was stated as $3million a couple of weeks ago) so you won't get your average new migrant living there and that is just 3 kms south of Hillarys.

To the OP, just because Tom Simpson Park where the fights are in Mullalloo have a no alcohol policy please don't think anyone takes any notice - they don't. We drive past there most days and there are still yobs and louts drinking usually sitting under the sign saying "No Alcohol" and wrecking the park as the place is monitored infrequently.

My husband goes surfing there every weekend and the yobs are coming out in force now Spring is here drinking and behaving antisocially on the beach.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Australia Day up there next year after this year's violence.

However, I agree with the poster who said the suburb is a nice place.
I agree. 100% spot on post.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Just to give you an idea of % of English in the suburbs.

At the last census 2 years ago Hillarys had 13% English born people. Mullaloo 17%, Joondalup 19%. The highest in the northern suburbs north of Hillarys is Mindarie at 26% of English born people.
Don't you mean British born?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Don't you mean British born?
English born. There were separate entries for the Scots and the Irish which were very small.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
The number of brits doesn't bother me. To be honest we have a number of footy shirt wearing types in our school and they are really nice people. We also have a few people who are so stuck up its untrue. I would much rather someone in a football shirt who was down to earth than someone in an M&S shirt who thinks they are better than everyone else.
you spot on there NB so true

Ann
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:38 pm
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of

And how small % were we lol ???:curse::curse::curse:
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If they don't want a sea of Man U tops then I think pretty much anywhere in Perth's Northern suburbs is out.
No Man U shirts in my neck of the woods!!! Chelsea shirts maybe......but def no man u shirts!!! LOL
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just come back from Hillarys Marina (about an hour ago!). I can snob it out with the best of them and yes there are some rough people there and yes there are lost of English there.
But there's also lots of older English people on holiday (which I quite like to see), and it really is a great place to meander, have coffee (*&%^$# expensive though), let the kids have a paddle and just look at the boats and the blue sea. I like it.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
Hi

Myself my husband and 3 kids are aiming to move to Perth
Thought you were aiming for NZ?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
Hi

Myself my husband and 3 kids are aiming to move to Perth in about 2 years so that we can go out more as the weather is a lot better, we are a very active family and also for a better future for our kids. We're not expecting a cheaper cost of living ect.... We've been doing quite a lot of research in the past couple of weeks about where to travel to next year as we want to go and check places out, we want to be near the coast and around 45 mins to get to Perth. We have looked at Mullaloo which seems like a really nice area to live in. We don't want an area that is full of British people and the australian culture of living gone because of this, (hope I haven't offended anyone by saying this)!! I have heard that quite a few schools and areas are absolutely full of british people and so the Australian culture has disappeared is this true? Can anyone recommend any areas that are close to the coast and up to 45 mins drive to perth? The reason I have put this thread on is due to another thread that I found on this site that is now closed and I just got a little worried that's all; Teen stabbed by Pommies at Mullaloo : British Expat Discussion Forum

I know this is from 2 years ago and action has been taken because of this, (alcohol is now banned from the park), I am by no means saying that I hate brits I'm british after all but we want to move to a country to experiece their culture.

many thanks
easy answer dont go to perth
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Julesjamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried the Eastern Suburbs? Bassendean, Guildford, Ellenbrook, Henley Brook. In fact anywhere near the Swan Valley is gorgeous. Not too many poms around here!

It is 25 minutes to the beach, 20 minutes to the hills for bushwalking and bike riding, and the Swan Valley is 10 minutes away. Perth is 20 minutes by car. I have the best of all worlds.

Regards,

Jules