Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

mullaloo, hillarys....

mullaloo, hillarys....

Old Sep 5th 2008, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Di and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really niceDi and Ste is just really nice
Default mullaloo, hillarys....

Hi

Myself my husband and 3 kids are aiming to move to Perth in about 2 years so that we can go out more as the weather is a lot better, we are a very active family and also for a better future for our kids. We're not expecting a cheaper cost of living ect.... We've been doing quite a lot of research in the past couple of weeks about where to travel to next year as we want to go and check places out, we want to be near the coast and around 45 mins to get to Perth. We have looked at Mullaloo which seems like a really nice area to live in. We don't want an area that is full of British people and the australian culture of living gone because of this, (hope I haven't offended anyone by saying this)!! I have heard that quite a few schools and areas are absolutely full of british people and so the Australian culture has disappeared is this true? Can anyone recommend any areas that are close to the coast and up to 45 mins drive to perth? The reason I have put this thread on is due to another thread that I found on this site that is now closed and I just got a little worried that's all; Teen stabbed by Pommies at Mullaloo : British Expat Discussion Forum

I know this is from 2 years ago and action has been taken because of this, (alcohol is now banned from the park), I am by no means saying that I hate brits I'm british after all but we want to move to a country to experiece their culture.

many thanks

Last edited by Di and Ste; Sep 5th 2008 at 1:04 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mullaloo, hillarys....

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
Hi

I have heard that quite a few schools and areas are absolutely full of british people and so the Australian culture has disappeared.

I think this is a wind up but If it isn't and you want the Australian culture i would suggest forget Perth & the Coast and head for Karratha or Meakatharra (sp). I think you will find not many of the Alledegely "True" Australians don't go to school

John
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
I think this is a wind up but If it isn't and you want the Australian culture i would suggest forget Perth & the Coast and head for Karratha or Meakatharra (sp). I think you will find not many of the Alledegely "True" Australians don't go to school

John
Ha, was just going to say the same thing.

Culture??? in Perth, Mullaloo

Come to Perth and you will live alongside your fellow country men of England. There's no escaping us, we all emigrate to Perth. It will be all Poms eventually in years to come. Loads more pubs and clubs....

Head to the centre of OZ, you will find what you're looking for.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:23 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

We have looked at Mullaloo which seems like a really nice area to live in. We don;t want an area that is full of British people and the australian culture of living gone because of this, (hope I haven't offended anyone by saying this)!!

It's so hard to advise someone where to live! We live in Hillarys and have friends in Mullaloo.
I think you will find the Oz is such a diverse place to live and you neighbours (where ever you live will be from all over the world) My neighbours are all Aussies except for 2 doors away and they are from South Africa. Our friends in Mullaloo are Swedish... do you get the picture? You will be with people from all over the world who have chosen Australia as their new home.

I would suggest you look at house prices first... Our part of Hillarys is $1.5M +++ there is a house just around the corner up for sale around the $5M price and there's one for auction opposite Hillarys Boat Harbour this Sunday and the guide price is $4M+. Obviously there are many cheaper houses but they will generally be older properties.
http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1220620225

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1220620225

The best thing is to come an have a look for your self.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 2:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt

John
Absolutely. If you want to live where the Australians live, you won't do it in metropolitan Perth. You'll have to go to the smaller towns. Hillarys/Mullaloo area are chock full of UK migrants.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
The reason I have put this thread on is due to another thread that I found on this site that is now closed and I just got a little worried that's all; Teen stabbed by Pommies at Mullaloo : British Expat Discussion Forum
And there are also threads on here about teens being stabbed in thousands of other places - and not always by Brits. The Aussies are pretty good at stabbing too.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

Your avin a laugh,

I just got back from perth (stayed in Hillarys), I loved it there, thriving with Brits from all ethnic backgrounds. Also travelled to many other areas over the last few years and loved the country for its multicultral society.

The only place that would meet your requirements is in the central areas of Aus (where others dont really want to go), If they want you there!!!.

The other option is to forget it all and stay where you are.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by varsanik
Your avin a laugh,

I just got back from perth (stayed in Hillarys), I loved it there, thriving with Brits from all ethnic backgrounds. Also travelled to many other areas over the last few years and loved the country for its multicultral society.

The only place that would meet your requirements is in the central areas of Aus (where others dont really want to go), If they want you there!!!.

The other option is to forget it all and stay where you are.
I suggest Fitzroy Crossing.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Think there is a middle ground. What the OP doesn't want to be is awash in a sea of Man Utd tops. Doesn't need outback or remote WA.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:16 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Think there is a middle ground. What the OP doesn't want to be is awash in a sea of Man Utd tops. Doesn't need outback or remote WA.
If they don't want a sea of Man U tops then I think pretty much anywhere in Perth's Northern suburbs is out.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I suggest Fitzroy Crossing.

Jeeez, have you ever been to the pub there.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:02 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by manc1
Jeeez, have you ever been to the pub there.
Not full of Man U shirts, is it?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

If they don't want a sea of Man U tops then I think pretty much anywhere in Perth's Northern suburbs is out.
Is this really true. Reallllllly true? I mean, can you not go anywhere in the car without seeing a group or a family of Brits wearing soccer tops? I imagine that whilst its not everyone, you'd expect to see at least one example on every trip out.

Maybe we should have a poll, or someone can keep count.

Out here in Melbourne, even in the SE it's still quite a rarity and often a surprise.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Not full of Man U shirts, is it?

There were two bars in the place, one for the white fella and one for the aboriginals. The one for the aboriginals had iron bars separating them from the bar staff.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:35 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is this really true. Reallllllly true? I mean, can you not go anywhere in the car without seeing a group or a family of Brits wearing soccer tops? I imagine that whilst its not everyone, you'd expect to see at least one example on every trip out.

Maybe we should have a poll, or someone can keep count.

Out here in Melbourne, even in the SE it's still quite a rarity and often a surprise.
Definitely in Hillarys and Mullaloo. Both are favourite tourist spots as for Brits. It's not a rarity and rarely a surprise to see soccer shirts, little stickers on cars, flags, etc. So, yes it is true. Really true.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.