Reload this Page >

mullaloo, hillarys....

mullaloo, hillarys....

Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:10 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mullaloo, hillarys....

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is this really true. Reallllllly true? I mean, can you not go anywhere in the car without seeing a group or a family of Brits wearing soccer tops? I imagine that whilst its not everyone, you'd expect to see at least one example on every trip out.

Maybe we should have a poll, or someone can keep count.

Out here in Melbourne, even in the SE it's still quite a rarity and often a surprise.

Knew we should have moved to Victoria

I agree with Dorothy about the footie shirts, stickers etc etc but I live in
Hillarys and once you get into the actual suburb it's quite nice and we haven't met that many Brits here. All of my neighbours are Ozzies and we get along brilliantly with them. We know 2 English families in Hillarys neither of whom wear Man U football shirts.

Without a doubt down at Hillarys Harbour which is a tourist mecca full of gift shops selling overpriced tat and expensive restaurants selling crap food you will get the type of Brits you are talking about especially at the weekend.

The thing is there is a very safe kiddies beach there, trampolines, water slides and funfair rides for the little ones and if that's what floats your boat it is the only place for miles that offers this. So with the amount of Brits in Perth it stands to reason that is where they will go for entertainment.

For Croydon facelifts, muffin tops, bling and Burberry go to Lakeside Shopping Centre in Joondalup

The Northern suburbs tag also covers any suburb NOR but tbh lots of suburbs do have a majority of Ozzies living in them. It tends to be the further north, the more Brits. The more southern northern burbs like North Beach, Marmion and Waterman's Bay are extremely expensive (median House price in Waterman's Bay was stated as $3million a couple of weeks ago) so you won't get your average new migrant living there and that is just 3 kms south of Hillarys.

To the OP, just because Tom Simpson Park where the fights are in Mullalloo have a no alcohol policy please don't think anyone takes any notice - they don't. We drive past there most days and there are still yobs and louts drinking usually sitting under the sign saying "No Alcohol" and wrecking the park as the place is monitored infrequently.

My husband goes surfing there every weekend and the yobs are coming out in force now Spring is here drinking and behaving antisocially on the beach.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Australia Day up there next year after this year's violence.

However, I agree with the poster who said the suburb is a nice place.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Knew we should have moved to Victoria

I agree with Dorothy about the footie shirts, stickers etc etc but I live in
Hillarys and once you get into the actual suburb it's quite nice and we haven't met that many Brits here. All of my neighbours are Ozzies and we get along brilliantly with them. We know 2 English families in Hillarys neither of whom wear Man U football shirts.

Without a doubt down at Hillarys Harbour which is a tourist mecca full of gift shops selling overpriced tat and expensive restaurants selling crap food you will get the type of Brits you are talking about especially at the weekend.

The thing is there is a very safe kiddies beach there, trampolines, water slides and funfair rides for the little ones and if that's what floats your boat it is the only place for miles that offers this. So with the amount of Brits in Perth it stands to reason that is where they will go for entertainment.

For Croydon facelifts, muffin tops, bling and Burberry go to Lakeside Shopping Centre in Joondalup

The Northern suburbs tag also covers any suburb NOR but tbh lots of suburbs do have a majority of Ozzies living in them. It tends to be the further north, the more Brits. The more southern northern burbs like North Beach, Marmion and Waterman's Bay are extremely expensive (median House price in Waterman's Bay was stated as $3million a couple of weeks ago) so you won't get your average new migrant living there and that is just 3 kms south of Hillarys.

To the OP, just because Tom Simpson Park where the fights are in Mullalloo have a no alcohol policy please don't think anyone takes any notice - they don't. We drive past there most days and there are still yobs and louts drinking usually sitting under the sign saying "No Alcohol" and wrecking the park as the place is monitored infrequently.

My husband goes surfing there every weekend and the yobs are coming out in force now Spring is here drinking and behaving antisocially on the beach.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Australia Day up there next year after this year's violence.

However, I agree with the poster who said the suburb is a nice place.
That's one of the best explanations. So the Brit enclaves you hear about are a lot further north. I did spend some (a little) time in Perth flying and we were mainly SOR to be near Jandakot - did not notice any Brit encursion anywhere too be honest.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That's one of the best explanations. So the Brit enclaves you hear about are a lot further north. I did spend some (a little) time in Perth flying and we were mainly SOR to be near Jandakot - did not notice any Brit encursion anywhere too be honest.
And to be fair Badge, thats a few years back now too
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Why do British people want to escape British people. Are they ashamed of themselves
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:05 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Just to give you an idea of % of English in the suburbs.

At the last census 2 years ago Hillarys had 13% English born people. Mullaloo 17%, Joondalup 19%. The highest in the northern suburbs north of Hillarys is Mindarie at 26% of English born people.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:25 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

At the last census 2 years ago Hillarys had 13% English born people. Mullaloo 17%, Joondalup 19%. The highest in the northern suburbs north of Hillarys is Mindarie at 26% of English born people.
Not Butler then ?
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sme
Not Butler then ?
No, Butler was 22%, Connolly was higher than Butler
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And to be fair Badge, thats a few years back now too
Well exactly. (I was also trying to be fair). So can I take it the situation with the Brits is far worse now? (Pointing out a potential issue).

The way I understood it, Perth has always been a bit of a mecca. If anything with price increases, you'd expect it to be less popular now with some Brits.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is this high? Probably 1 in 4 or 5 at the extremes.. I think the figure for our suburb for people of overseas origin is a few pc if that, and even then, they might have been here a long time.

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Why do British people want to escape British people. Are they ashamed of themselves
it's a obvious conclusion. But I think people want to escape, or rather have nothing to do with, a custom marketed Brit brand which manifests itself outside the UK more so than within maybe!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

Is this high? Probably 1 in 4 or 5 at the extremes.. I think the figure for our suburb for people of overseas origin is a few pc if that, and even then, they might have been here a long time.

it's a obvious conclusion. But I think people want to escape, or rather have nothing to do with, a custom marketed Brit brand which manifests itself outside the UK more so than within maybe!
The number of brits doesn't bother me. To be honest we have a number of footy shirt wearing types in our school and they are really nice people. We also have a few people who are so stuck up its untrue. I would much rather someone in a football shirt who was down to earth than someone in an M&S shirt who thinks they are better than everyone else.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:01 am
saoirse

Call me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond reputeCall me AL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Di and Ste
Hi

Myself my husband and 3 kids are aiming to move to Perth in about 2 years so that we can go out more as the weather is a lot better, we are a very active family and also for a better future for our kids. We're not expecting a cheaper cost of living ect.... We've been doing quite a lot of research in the past couple of weeks about where to travel to next year as we want to go and check places out, we want to be near the coast and around 45 mins to get to Perth. We have looked at Mullaloo which seems like a really nice area to live in. We don't want an area that is full of British people and the australian culture of living gone because of this, (hope I haven't offended anyone by saying this)!! I have heard that quite a few schools and areas are absolutely full of british people and so the Australian culture has disappeared is this true? Can anyone recommend any areas that are close to the coast and up to 45 mins drive to perth? The reason I have put this thread on is due to another thread that I found on this site that is now closed and I just got a little worried that's all; Teen stabbed by Pommies at Mullaloo : British Expat Discussion Forum

I know this is from 2 years ago and action has been taken because of this, (alcohol is now banned from the park), I am by no means saying that I hate brits I'm british after all but we want to move to a country to experiece their culture.

many thanks

I find it a little strange that you would use a British ex-pats site to ask British ex-pats how to avoid the British.
If you really can't stand the thought of having British neighbours or,God forbid,your children going to the same school as other British kids,I would suggest you look at areas like Koondoola,Balga or Girawheen.However, as someone else has suggested,if you really want to submerge yourself in Aussie culture try Fitzroy Crossing, I'm sure the residents would welcome you with open arms.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 5:31 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

No, Butler was 22%, Connolly was higher than Butler
Well there you go then!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

The number of brits doesn't bother me. To be honest we have a number of footy shirt wearing types in our school and they are really nice people. We also have a few people who are so stuck up its untrue. I would much rather someone in a football shirt who was down to earth than someone in an M&S shirt who thinks they are better than everyone else.
Totally agree with you Nb

John
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would much rather someone in a football shirt who was down to earth than someone in an M&S shirt who thinks they are better than everyone else.
Well don't you think M&S would definitely be the giveaway. we know there are people out there who wear footy tops AND miss M&S..

It's not the footy top, it's more the attitude that people complain about. The footy top is a bit symbolic really.

Let's face it, not everyone in Perth can be an utter chav but I'm sure there are one or two. I think it was Arkon who said that real chavs would never get there in the first place.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

JPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to allJPSUPERHOOPER is a name known to all

here here!

what about ashby?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.