British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mt Eliza question for people living thereabouts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mt-eliza-question-people-living-thereabouts-303618/)

andy thomas May 23rd 2005 1:04 pm

Re: Mt Eliza question for people living thereabouts

Originally Posted by Smartinis
Caz,

Thanks for this info, what are your impressions of the school generally, do they have good facilities, especially for sport, mine are sports mad and the elder one wants to eventually go on and do a sports science degree at uni. Also what does the school feel like? I know this is a personal thing but is it a friendly place? Saying that though I have heard many stories where they are too laid back with discipline out the window and classrooms a riot, my two would hate that as they both like to do their best. If you could give any advice on issues like these or what other parents think of the place I would be very grateful, can't really see how we can afford to send both to Penninsula school. What is the local feeling about the two of them? Do the kids from one hate the other, (used to be the case here locally) or do they have friends at each?

Sorry to ask so many questions, its just brill to finally find someone with a child at the school.

Hi again.

The accomodation you asked me about on the Britvics site is owned by the Art teacher at the Peninsula School. Both my boys go there (aged 7 & 5) and to be honest I wouldn't send them anywhere else, it's one of the best for miles around. We have experienced one state school (albeit for 2 days) which was more like a zoo but we are very pleased with the Peninsula School.

Regards Andy

Smartinis May 23rd 2005 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by andy thomas
Hi again.

The accomodation you asked me about on the Britvics site is owned by the Art teacher at the Peninsula School. Both my boys go there (aged 7 & 5) and to be honest I wouldn't send them anywhere else, it's one of the best for miles around. We have experienced one state school (albeit for 2 days) which was more like a zoo but we are very pleased with the Peninsula School.

Regards Andy

I must admit everything I hear about the Penninsula school sounds almost to good to be true, apart from the fees of course :eek: These are scary, especially as both hubby and I wil be arriving without jobs. We would hate to put the boys into a fantastic school only to find we can't get jobs with an income to sustain it! We will certainly be thinking very closely about the Penninsula though, just wish they would get back to us with their consideration over places for the boys so that we can make a decision one way or another. I don't know what we will decide if they can take one and not the other, if its the eldest I think we would send him and hope to get the younger one in by the time he got to his VCE. If we had to send them to different schools i.e Penninsula and Mount Eliza, how do the schools and kids get on together? I'd hate one of them to feel second best!

This is definately the hardest part of the move for me, that and worrying about how all this is affecting the boys studying for thier GCSE and A levels :eek:

Am still interested with the possibility of the accommodation by the way as soon as you get the details.

Thanks for your quick replys, it really helps keep the stress levels under control.

jskogsta May 27th 2005 12:17 pm

:D

YUPPIEEEE!

We've now got a house in Mt Eliza! A three bedroom house with laarge
garden and decking with bar and bbq! Two bathrooms .. office .. and all ..
5m inutes to the village .. 7 minutes to the beach .. some hundred of meeters
to the Peninsula School for the children ..

I will be dreading the commute, but .. should be not that much different from
here!

Hmmm .. now we can start worrying since we're flying out on the 11th of
June! Auch! :scared:

/Jørgen

Bordy May 27th 2005 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by jskogsta

YUPPIEEEE!

here!

/Jørgen

Whens the house warming ??? :D :beer:

kirsty&al May 27th 2005 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bordy

I think they should stick the heating on as soon as they get there ;) It's started to get cold now.

Cheers
Al.

Bordy May 27th 2005 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I think they should stick the heating on as soon as they get there ;) It's started to get cold now.

Cheers
Al.

I meant a Scottish House warming, not a Welsh one. :D

kirsty&al May 27th 2005 2:07 pm

Ooh! Does that mean that I have to bring my own booze :p

jskogsta May 27th 2005 9:27 pm

You'll be the first to know for sure! If there is an interest in an expat meet in Mt Eliza .. we'll be more than happy to host one .. that's for sure. Could try out the super-max bbq when we get around to "invest" in one. ;)

.. and not forgetting ... the :beer: !!!

/Jørgen

jskogsta May 27th 2005 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by kirsty&al

Cheers
Al.

Cold?!!??! Winter in Melbourne is like a chilly summer day here in Norway ...

SOOOoooo.. I guess we'll survive! :p I remember a few years ago; up north in Kautokeino it was -54 centigrades. They took a bucket of boiling water and threw it into the air .. and it instantly turned into a cloud of ice crystals. ;) THAT is cold! :eek:

/Jørgen

jskogsta May 27th 2005 9:30 pm

I guess the ladies would be happy seeing a number of "hung over" guys in kilts, now wouldn't they! :eek:

/Jørgen

wongstonn May 28th 2005 11:40 am

Interesting thread. We are actually planning to rent a house in Mt Eliza and have lodged an application already. Hoping it will pass tomorrow, if all goes well. If that is ok, we will lodge an application to get the kids into the Peninsula School (or Mt Eliza house as that "kindie" is called). Been told nothing but positive things about theat school.

.. we are a family of 4: 2 adults (32 and 30), 2 children (~3 years and 8 months) that are flying out on the 11th of June ...

.. will work in CBD, but have the option to work from home when there are no client engagements or internal/external meetings going on....

Would love to meet up with people there .. with the similar backgrounds and all!

Cheers,
J?

Hi Jorgen and family

You can't be living that far from us then. We're moving into Rutland Avenue. We are a family of three, me, Pat my wife, and Indigo our 3 year old daughter. Will you be living far from us. Pat and Indigo will be joining me on 9 June. Are you are interested in a local 'hello' meet. If so, maybe you'd like to PM us.

Neil et al

floss May 28th 2005 12:09 pm

YUPPIEEEE!

here!

/Jørgen

Hope the preparations are going well for the big move - can I just ask a question... it seems from reading your posts that you managed to get the house in Mt Eliza while you were still out of the country.... or have I mis-read things? If you did manage to arrange things before arriving - presumably this is a rental property, but I understood agents wouldn't take applications unless you have seen the property in person.... did you manage to get around this, and if so, how? We are hoping to move that way too, in January - it would be great to know it might be possible to find a landing-pad ahead of time... very scary to arrive with no-where to go, and have to try to find somewhere in the right areas for schools etc...in super-quick time! Any pointers would be appreciated. :D

jskogsta May 28th 2005 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by floss
Hope the preparations are going well for the big move - can I just ask a question... it seems from reading your posts that you managed to get the house in Mt Eliza while you were still out of the country.... or have I mis-read things? If you did manage to arrange things before arriving - presumably this is a rental property, but I understood agents wouldn't take applications unless you have seen the property in person.... did you manage to get around this, and if so, how? We are hoping to move that way too, in January - it would be great to know it might be possible to find a landing-pad ahead of time... very scary to arrive with no-where to go, and have to try to find somewhere in the right areas for schools etc...in super-quick time! Any pointers would be appreciated. :D

You are correct! We have not flown out yet. Not scheduled to leave before the 11th of June, but we have a relocation agent working on our behalf in Melbourne. That company is called http://www.hrrelocations.com/. We've basically sent them alot of criteria as to what we were looking for and they've browsed around in areas they think would be a nice fit for us ...

.. we've also done our research and then we've made the best out of it. We located Mt Eliza as a place we were interested in. We found a house as well which was really good, but lost that one. They then found the one we got now. Slightly better than the one we found, but this one does not have a pool. Not that important anyways! ;)

Since we cannot take over the property before the 5th of July we have then rented temporary accommodation. A small cottage in Mornington which looked really romantic! Should be a spot for a few wines if I am not mistaking.

Perhaps the best thing with the agent we've contracted is that they are looking around, making calls etc trying to find decent childcare for our two littens. We're trying to get into the Mt Eliza House (part of the Peninsula School), but there are waiting lists. One reason we want them there is that it is just a couple of hundred meters from the house we got to the Peninsula School... should make life a little easier ..

We chose this route simply because my wife needs the security "blanket"; and getting house, car, childcare and the necessities arranged for before we arrive makes her feel more comfortable.

Would gladly answer any specific questions you have though! So fire away!

Cheers,
Jørgen Skogstad

jskogsta May 28th 2005 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi Jorgen and family

You can't be living that far from us then. We're moving into Rutland Avenue. We are a family of three, me, Pat my wife, and Indigo our 3 year old daughter. Will you be living far from us. Pat and Indigo will be joining me on 9 June. Are you are interested in a local 'hello' meet. If so, maybe you'd like to PM us.

Neil et al

Hey! Great to hear! Of course we will have to arrange a local meet! We'll be going into Mount Eliza Drive, not far from the Peninsula School. Not sure where that would be compared to Rutland Avenue, but it can't be far!

;)

Just a short notice now. We're just about to start putting the kids to bed and all.. so more time later to provide some more details! ;)

But we will have to meet up, for sure!

/Jørgen

Smartinis May 28th 2005 5:24 pm

You are correct! We have not flown out yet. Not scheduled to leave before the 11th of June, but we have a relocation agent working on our behalf in Melbourne. That company is called http://www.hrrelocations.com/. We've basically sent them alot of criteria as to what we were looking for and they've browsed around in areas they think would be a nice fit for us ...

.. we've also done our research and then we've made the best out of it. We located Mt Eliza as a place we were interested in. We found a house as well which was really good, but lost that one. They then found the one we got now. Slightly better than the one we found, but this one does not have a pool. Not that important anyways! ;)

Since we cannot take over the property before the 5th of July we have then rented temporary accommodation. A small cottage in Mornington which looked really romantic! Should be a spot for a few wines if I am not mistaking.

Perhaps the best thing with the agent we've contracted is that they are looking around, making calls etc trying to find decent childcare for our two littens. We're trying to get into the Mt Eliza House (part of the Peninsula School), but there are waiting lists. One reason we want them there is that it is just a couple of hundred meters from the house we got to the Peninsula School... should make life a little easier ..

We chose this route simply because my wife needs the security "blanket"; and getting house, car, childcare and the necessities arranged for before we arrive makes her feel more comfortable.

Would gladly answer any specific questions you have though! So fire away!

Cheers,
Jørgen Skogstad

We're in a similar situation to floss, we will be moving to Mount Eliza hopefully in September, we too are waiting to see if the Penninsula school has places for our youngest two, but ours are 16 and 12!! How did you find the relocation agents? Were they really helpful? We have considered using them but used an agent for the visas, moving is costing more than we thought etc etc so don't know whether we can justify any more expense. The thought of those school fees sends a shiver doen my spine just thinking of them :eek:

We've been put off trying to rent without seeing the place first beacuse of the length of the contracts if you get a right dump!! Some horror stories out there :scared:

Don't like to pry to much but did the relocation agent work out expensive?

Might be tempted to give them a go if I thought we could trust their judgement? Did you get photos and stuff about the properties to allow you to make up your mind?

Any info would be really helpful. :) :)