British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Mt Eliza question for people living thereabouts (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/mt-eliza-question-people-living-thereabouts-303618/)

wongstonn May 18th 2005 7:14 am

Mt Eliza question for people living thereabouts

Hi

Have been in Mt Eliza today inspecting rental properties. Love the look and feel of the place. The locals I met were really, really nice people. Lunch at Cafe Verde was great. But I have some questions. Please help.

I realise that by Aussie standards the commute to the CBD is long (I timed my commute by car at 1h 7m during an out-of-rush-hour period this afternoon). Do residents of this of Mt Eliza area actually work in or near the CBD or does just everyone think you'd be mad to do so? And if you do work central, do most people park up at Frankston station and get the train?

Second, the estate agent tells me that the kinder schools around there are good. Is that estate agent sales pitch or is there some substance.

Lastly, and perhaps most sensitively, my wife is Chinese and my daughter mixed race, and on this afternoon's tour of the village I saw no non-white people. This quite plausibly is no big deal at all, but I feel I have to check that this is so for sake of my wife and daughter's welfare - is there any history of racism (or more than you would normally expect anywhere in a western country)? Sorry, if I wasn't PC enough in phrasing this, but I have my family's welfare to think of, and I might as well get to the point.

Neil

floss May 18th 2005 7:28 am

Re: Mt Eliza question for people living thereabouts

:D It seems there are quite a few of us hoping to head down that way... looks lovely from where I'm sitting (in front of computer in UK) so I'm thrilled to hear what you've said about it...
I'm particularly interested to hear about primary schools, although (again only via the web) the High Schools in the area all look good... also the commute...
Good questions!
I'd also be interested to hear any other impressions of the area... I've heard Frankston has problems, or is that a thing of the past?
Thanks and good luck!

jond May 18th 2005 8:21 am

[I'd also be interested to hear any other impressions of the area... I've heard Frankston has problems, or is that a thing of the past?
Thanks and good luck![/QUOTE]

Hi my Sister lives in Mount Eliza and we stayed with her for a month last year. It is a really nice area and somewhere that we will consider when we finally make the move later this year. I believe that Frankstone did have its problems but the Council have pumped $$$$$$ into it and she reckons that we should also look at Frankston South as she believes that this is the up and coming area and we should buy there before the prices go up. As for the schools we don't have any children, but my Sisters Stepson goes to the Peninsula School, he has just moved out from the UK at Christmas and he has settled in really well there appears to be all nationalties there.

Sue from Manchester May 18th 2005 8:24 am

Hi there

My sis lives in Mount Eliza and loves it. She has an investment property that I think is coming vacant cos it's on the estate agent's website
Couldn't paste the full link but if you go to the Stockdale & Leggo website - www.stockdaleleggo.com.au and then look for property 18 - 20 Station Street, MOUNT ELIZA Property ID:178-9000311

Mount Eliza is really beautiful. Jen's neighbour works in Melbourne and usually takes the train from Frankston. She has been very happy with the local schools. Here are some of her comments addressed generally to people on this forum:

On average Frankston you can rent 3 bed from $180ish, Mt Eliza cheapest $285
(that I saw a while ago and this will be a very old property, renting out
prior to demolition as the land is worth more than the house) and goes up to
nearly $500 per week for a 4 bed town house; Studios cheaper but if you are
renting for more than 6 months, that will drive you bonkers. If you are
settling in a new country, you need to feel comfortable. Mornington,
sometimes the same sometimes a little cheaper depending again on size,
location and age.

Our house is now coming up to 6 years old, which is quite unusual on the
rental market. It has a double car port, large garden for kids and would get
the catchment area for Mt Eliza Infant & Primary North, Mt Eliza Infant &
Primary, St Pauls? Catholic infant & primary, Kunyung Infant & Primary.
Secondary Schools in the area are Mt Eliza High School, Padua Christian
Collage, there is a third one but I can't remember and these last two have
fees semi private, and the private schools are Toorak Girls Infant to VCE &
The Peninsula School which is now unisex and takes from Preschoolers to VCE.
Frankston High school has a reasonable reputation, and has a laptop lesson
scheme, but I really wouldn't recommend Frankston to live, especially being
green to the area. Unfortunately you have to live in Zone for there as the
school is very popular. If your friends need advice on Frankston, let me
know and I will look at where they are thinking of. Mornington High school
gets a mixed feedback and it is very difficult to get into Mt Eliza High if
you are in zone for Mornington. We have a few students that even come from
Mt Martha but its a bit dicy on the bus as it gets full pretty quickly and
they may be late for school on occasion. Mt Martha is another 5-10 mins
drive from Mornington so its more or less counryside. It has schools but
I'm not sure about them.

Can't really comment on the race issue only to say that everyone is a mix there, but usually, as you say, from European countries.

wongstonn May 18th 2005 12:00 pm

Big thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

For the record I did the opposite journey (CBD to Mt Eliza) starting at 6pm so hoping to test the rush hour traffic. The journey, bizarrley, took less time than getting there!! Dunno why, traffic was dense until the juntion with Glenhuntley (?) Road. Maybe it was becasue I had almost no red lights after then. :)

I feel better about the racial thing, thanks. My wife integrated well into the UK for our eight shared years there, and I guessed that maybe the outer SE was very white and that I ought to read nothing into it, but I had to check.

And thanks for the comments on Kinder etc...

The point about Frankston South and investment was interesting. Actually, we were originally aiming to rent there (and if you are going there folks, it is better to go to the rental agents in Mt Eliza as opposed to Frankston to find them listed.), but I was so taken by Mt Eliza (has flitted by there before), and the fact it had such a friendly more village-like feel. As my wife still needs one or two more driving lessons, walking proximity to shops and kinder places is key, and because she is Chinese a jolly good eaterie is required (Cafe Verde and the Thai place opposite are good). Personally, I think that made Mt Eliza slightly better than bits Frankston South that I've seen.

Neil :D

floss May 18th 2005 12:04 pm

Please keep us posted Wongstonn - be very interested to hear if you do make the decision to go to Mount Eliza & if so, how it all works out.. school, commute, beach (?), etc. Good luck :D

helinuk May 18th 2005 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by floss
Please keep us posted Wongstonn - be very interested to hear if you do make the decision to go to Mount Eliza & if so, how it all works out.. school, commute, beach (?), etc. Good luck :D

Hi
good to hear you are there and finding out where you want to live.
I hope you find a lovely place to rent. Keep us posted. :)
good luck from helinuk and the Surrey meet up folks :)

OzTennis May 18th 2005 12:46 pm

Interesting thread. I'd agree that Mt Eliza seems better than Frankston South and certainly Frankston itself; Frankston HS has a better than 'reasonable' reputation and as pointed out their laptop program is one of the best you will find in a State school in the state (2 daughters-in-law doing really well on the program). Good luck with the move!

OzTennis :)

of2oz May 18th 2005 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Big thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

For the record I did the opposite journey (CBD to Mt Eliza) starting at 6pm so hoping to test the rush hour traffic. The journey, bizarrley, took less time than getting there!! Dunno why, traffic was dense until the juntion with Glenhuntley (?) Road. Maybe it was becasue I had almost no red lights after then. :)

I feel better about the racial thing, thanks. My wife integrated well into the UK for our eight shared years there, and I guessed that maybe the outer SE was very white and that I ought to read nothing into it, but I had to check.

And thanks for the comments on Kinder etc...

The point about Frankston South and investment was interesting. Actually, we were originally aiming to rent there (and if you are going there folks, it is better to go to the rental agents in Mt Eliza as opposed to Frankston to find them listed.), but I was so taken by Mt Eliza (has flitted by there before), and the fact it had such a friendly more village-like feel. As my wife still needs one or two more driving lessons, walking proximity to shops and kinder places is key, and because she is Chinese a jolly good eaterie is required (Cafe Verde and the Thai place opposite are good). Personally, I think that made Mt Eliza slightly better than bits Frankston South that I've seen.

Neil :D

Hi
We (Me hubby and 2 girls) have been in Mount Eliza for 2 months and the place is really lovely. We are renting a 4 bed house (traditional weatherboard ) for $320 a week which is really close to Kunyung Primary school and Moondah beach.

It has a nice relaxed atmosphere and enough shops, if you need more variety, Frankston and Mornington are only 10 minutes away.

I travel to the CBD regularly on the train - takes about and hour, same in the car if not rush hour (if it is it can be double that time). Ticket is $12 return a day (also covers trams if you need it to)

There are a few restaraunts, indian, vietnamese, chinese and french I think, but only one pub / bar as far as I can tell, so we have been to Mornington to meet friends a couple of times and this is a more lively area with far more cafes and shops.

We considered Mornington but chose Mt Eliza to be that little bit closer to the train station.

Frankston south has some nice areas but Frankston going on to Seaford not so nice although the High school there has a good reputation.

Mt Eliza High school has quite a good repuation but if you want private education Toorak College and Mornington Penninsula schools are both excellent.

Wouldn't worry about the race mix, melbourne on the whole is the most cosmopoliton city in Oz.

Good luck with the search

Paula

Sue2 May 18th 2005 1:10 pm

Hiya Neil :D

Glad to see your well and that you have settled :)

All the very best

Sue & Chris x

floss May 18th 2005 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Interesting thread. I'd agree that Mt Eliza seems better than Frankston South and certainly Frankston itself; Frankston HS has a better than 'reasonable' reputation and as pointed out their laptop program is one of the best you will find in a State school in the state (2 daughters-in-law doing really well on the program). Good luck with the move!

Interesting to hear this abuot Frankston HS - I've spent the best part of a year scouring Oz school websites and have seen some really impressive stuff, but I was stunned by what they seemed to offer. I spent some of my schooling (aeons ago!) at Millfield in Somerset which charges an arm, a leg and most in-between (no, not rich - I had a scholarship!!!!!), and Frankston HS seemed be on a par!! Feet are getting itchier by the second.... Presumably your daughters-in-law are living in school zone...

OzTennis May 18th 2005 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by floss
Interesting to hear this abuot Frankston HS - I've spent the best part of a year scouring Oz school websites and have seen some really impressive stuff, but I was stunned by what they seemed to offer. I spent some of my schooling (aeons ago!) at Millfield in Somerset which charges an arm, a leg and most in-between (no, not rich - I had a scholarship!!!!!), and Frankston HS seemed be on a par!! Feet are getting itchier by the second.... Presumably your daughters-in-law are living in school zone...

Yep, they live near the Moorooduc Hwy just off the start of Heatherhill Rd (a nice area - for Frankston) and FHS is walking distance. Children and parents have the option to choose the laptop program or the traditional program. If you choose the laptop program then you are obliged to purchase a laptop but at a favourable rate. The school has links with Toshiba who provide the laptops and have technicians permanently on site to do repairs, add software etc. (As a teacher myself) I am most impressed with the program and the school.

They chose to live in Frankston because my brother is from Williamstown and my sister-in-law from Wonthaggi plus my bro works at Monash Clayton campus and sometimes Frankston campus.

darkless May 18th 2005 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi

Have been in Mt Eliza today inspecting rental properties. Love the look and feel of the place. The locals I met were really, really nice people. Lunch at Cafe Verde was great. But I have some questions. Please help.

I realise that by Aussie standards the commute to the CBD is long (I timed my commute by car at 1h 7m during an out-of-rush-hour period this afternoon). Do residents of this of Mt Eliza area actually work in or near the CBD or does just everyone think you'd be mad to do so? And if you do work central, do most people park up at Frankston station and get the train?

Neil

A friend of mine used to live in Mt Eliza, and he travelled into Perth each day. Drove his car to a slightly closer station (probably Frankston - cant remember) I think and caught the train. It was a bit of a trek, but the train was air-conditioned etc. I guess it will depend on what sort of commute you are used to now. If you travel into London for example it will be a doddle. If you walk to work then maybe it will seem a bit of a trek.

As for Mt Eliza - the bit I saw was very nice!

Sue from Manchester May 18th 2005 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by darkless
A friend of mine used to live in Mt Eliza, and he travelled into Perth each day. Drove his car to a slightly closer station (probably Frankston - cant remember) I think and caught the train. It was a bit of a trek, but the train was air-conditioned etc. I guess it will depend on what sort of commute you are used to now. If you travel into London for example it will be a doddle. If you walk to work then maybe it will seem a bit of a trek.

As for Mt Eliza - the bit I saw was very nice!

Perth???!!!!

Bordy May 18th 2005 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Perth???!!!!

Now that IS a long day at work. :p