Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Mr Mover's point

Mr Mover's point

Old Oct 31st 2003, 11:49 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mr Mover's point

Originally posted by badgersmount
Mr Mover recently made some good remarks about society in general - is it true that we are all getting weaker, lacking in fibre etc? In Australia as well? (This is not a reference to Dotty's predicament in her post)

The Armed Forces have changed alot in 20 years, and have dropped their standards etc.

For those of you that grew up in the 50s and 60s it must be quite a shock for single mothers getting free housing etc (illegally), children having too many rights, seeing all the PC stuff.

One of my admirations of Australia is the history they have of being battlers and pioneers as one bloke said "white men living in a black's mans country" - (he wasn't talking about the abo issue - he was talking about the climate). But there are plenty of people who, whilst they talk about the more laid back lifestyle, can also see that Australia is going the same way as say, America, and that it is going down the pan.

what do people think? Do people think that Australia has "less" of this? Is "it"worse over there?

Badge
You B/m will probably understand,this more so than any one ,having been in oz, and seen how life works here [city&country ] when i was 16 i left high school, and went to work for a fencing contractor, on Moonera station. W.A side of the nullabor, i learnt more about life,and being a man , from this exprience than any thing else i could have done. i remember asking the boss one day , what should i do , if i get bit by a Dugite[nasty little snake], his reply was, "put your head between , your knees " i then asked why , the reply was "so you can kiss yer arse good bye", that brought about the realisation that this bloke was not joking ,and first aid was 50miles away over rough terrain, and by the time the flying docter got there, i would have karked it......makes a kid smarten up real quick, these people lived with this every day, and dwelling on it would only send you mad ,so they got on with life. later on i worked on oil rigs in the Cooper basin, sth AUST ,you meet some real down to earth people in this industry, like the truckies who drive ,hundereds of miles across ,desert at night ,just so you can get your supplys in. 16 yr old kids driving ,bulldozers and graders, making the pads for the rigs to sit on, one kid from Queens land had never been to school,never wore shoes , yet was the nicest kid i ever had the pleasure of meeting ,best D9 driver i ever seen as well. The kids i see walking around the streets of town {adelaide]today, all seem like clones they all dress and look the same. The young guys we get at work ,even though they are phsysically capable of doing the work .seem mentialy fragile , the old saying "when the going gets tough! the tough get going" today when the going gets tough they just "bugga off" go back down the dole queue. prehaps its, my age group which have made it too easy for them, but i really feel for what is happening,are we creating a generation of LOSERS. ?? ....ok i have finished my rant ,so all the social apologist's and P/C people can jump on me now...... MM
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate the term battler. It seems to glorify mediocity and underperformance. I find it patronising and shackle on Australia.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:35 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i hate to think what my BFT time would be now, when i was in my prime i would think nothing of coming in off the town at 3am getting up at 6am and running an 8 minute bft at 7am.

we used to have c.o's pt on a friday afternoon and the only rule was you had to beat the c.o home, the course was normally cft distance but with a quicker pace to allow for no kit, i would struggle to walk that course now
Pardon my ignorance but what is CFT and BFT? I've only just worked out what LOL is

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:37 am
WBB

Originally posted by tennisoz
Pardon my ignorance but what is CFT and BFT? I've only just worked out what LOL is

TennisOz

it's an army thing, they have abbreviations for everything.

b.f.t = basic fitness test

c.f.t. = combat fitness test

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:41 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by welshboybilly
it's an army thing, they have abbreviations for everything.

b.f.t = basic fitness test

c.f.t. = combat fitness test
Thanks WBB

TennisOz

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:43 am
Badge

BFT - piece of piss - a 3 mile run, the timing and organisation of which used to vary a bit depending on what sort of unit you were in - and may now have been codified and standardised.

CFT- used to be 8 miles in full "combat equipment gear" as civvies would probaly call it (makes it sound like a "paintball" exercise, eh?)

We never did CFTs. Ours was a fair bit longer, AND we had less time to do it in. ;-)

Badge