Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you do it again? - to those in NZ

Would you do it again? - to those in NZ

Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Gaffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you do it again? - to those in NZ

I have a job offer and am due to emigrate to Christchurch early next year. I have read quite a lot about the negative side - gangs, soaring crime rate generally, house prices increasing, roads being a lot more dangerous than the UK, poor health and safety record of NZ employers (apparently there are 700 injured and 2 die in NZ every week due to health and safety injuries/accidents), lower holiday entitlement, difficulty in making new friends etc - and want to make sure we are doing the right thing. We are wanting to emigrate for a better, less stressful standard of living (and for our children to be eventually able to afford a house of their own and still be able to live!). The big question is, therefore, - if you went back in time would you do it again??
Old Nov 1st 2003, 10:25 am
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets put this up again
Old Nov 1st 2003, 1:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

bump
Old Nov 1st 2003, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would you do it again? - to those in NZ

Originally posted by Gaffer
I have a job offer and am due to emigrate to Christchurch early next year. I have read quite a lot about the negative side - gangs, soaring crime rate generally, house prices increasing, roads being a lot more dangerous than the UK, poor health and safety record of NZ employers (apparently there are 700 injured and 2 die in NZ every week due to health and safety injuries/accidents), lower holiday entitlement, difficulty in making new friends etc - and want to make sure we are doing the right thing. We are wanting to emigrate for a better, less stressful standard of living (and for our children to be eventually able to afford a house of their own and still be able to live!). The big question is, therefore, - if you went back in time would you do it again??
We've been here 3 years and are planning to return to the UK in 6 months. Yes we would do it again. But we decided it just wasn't us. We have several friends who feel the same. The problems you mention exist but I wouldn't let that put you off. It's a reflection of reality everywhere. It is certainly less stressful but a better standard of living? Mmmmmm. Not as far as we are concerned. We both earn very good money and are respected in our jobs but find living here limiting. Each to their own. Good luck, take a punt and you'll never live with regrets!
Old Nov 1st 2003, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Gaffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
We've been here 3 years and are planning to return to the UK in 6 months. Yes we would do it again. But we decided it just wasn't us. We have several friends who feel the same. The problems you mention exist but I wouldn't let that put you off. It's a reflection of reality everywhere. It is certainly less stressful but a better standard of living? Mmmmmm. Not as far as we are concerned. We both earn very good money and are respected in our jobs but find living here limiting. Each to their own. Good luck, take a punt and you'll never live with regrets!
You mention that life in NZ is limiting and the standard of living not any better but can you give some examples so I have a clearer picture. In the Uk I and my wife earn good money and are able to live comfortably without thinking too much about the money, likewise two foreign holidays is the norm for us etc. Am I expecting too much of NZ? Is there good money to be earned?
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:54 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

If it ain't broke, dont' fix it.

You say you can comfortably live and take 2 hols a year. Well invest that moneyin property or something for your family. I know several people who've emigrated for financial reasons and it's not worked in many cases and they're stuck now.
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:09 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth considering you'll be unlikely to afford (in either time or money) two foreign holidays a year from NZ. Holidays further afield than Australia or the Pacific Islands are expensive on NZ dollars and of course you'll probably have less annual leave. And of course it's a long way away from anywhere - 24 hours may not sound like much on a plane - but it's not something you'll wnat to do often unless you love flying. Then again if you're going to NZ you may want to spend some time holidaying in NZ instead....

It depends what really interests you in life. I mean, what are your passions? If they are outdoorsy at all - then NZ could be great for you - if they are indoorsy, then NZ may not hold so much for you.

If you get more pleasure from skiing or fishing or hiking or sailing than museums or achitecture or 'culture' or history, then go for it!

One thing worthy of note is that by the time your kids grow up they may also not be able to afford property in NZ either. It is better than UK, but rapidly getting very expensive (when earning NZ dollars) so it not be much different.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of
Default Time machine!

Biggest regret? Not coming to NZ in 1965 , but waiting till 1981. If making your fortune is your goal--stay where you are- it sounds as tho you have it already made. If a lifestyle is what you want come here-but I don't think you will make the grade. Cos the first time you said "Back in England we did/had/could of" --the advice would be "Fox Trot back there, mate" Unlike England where you can wear a Turban instead of a crash helmet and get away with it ,courtesy of the Politically Correct brigade, it don't work here!Altho we are rapidly aproaching the same state of lunacy.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jandjuk
It's worth considering you'll be unlikely to afford (in either time or money) two foreign holidays a year from NZ. Holidays further afield than Australia or the Pacific Islands are expensive on NZ dollars and of course you'll probably have less annual leave. And of course it's a long way away from anywhere - 24 hours may not sound like much on a plane - but it's not something you'll wnat to do often unless you love flying. Then again if you're going to NZ you may want to spend some time holidaying in NZ instead....

It depends what really interests you in life. I mean, what are your passions? If they are outdoorsy at all - then NZ could be great for you - if they are indoorsy, then NZ may not hold so much for you.

If you get more pleasure from skiing or fishing or hiking or sailing than museums or achitecture or 'culture' or history, then go for it!

One thing worthy of note is that by the time your kids grow up they may also not be able to afford property in NZ either. It is better than UK, but rapidly getting very expensive (when earning NZ dollars) so it not be much different.
I believe it is possible to be both types of person and rather naive to suggest otherwise. My wife and I are very 'outdoorsy'! but also enjoy museums etc. We are heavily in to sports, playing and watching. All of your points are valid and on the money but it is possible to be a warrior poet!
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gaffer
... The big question is, therefore, - if you went back in time would you do it again??
...and the answer from us would be, "Yes, of course!" To my mind, if you're given an opportunity like that, then take it. You'll probably end up regreting it if you didn't try it out for yourself...

Nicola.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

DaisyNZ is on a distinguished road

I've thought about that alot over the years, what if etc. But overall, yes I"m really pleased I came out here. I'm planning on going back to the UK, even if it just turns out temporary, but it's not because NZ isn't a great place to live. I agree that it is limited if you are into Englishy things, my brother and sister in law have just visited us and I think there were many reasons why she wouldn't enjoy it here. The town was far too small, the shops were far too empty, the childrens entertainment (i.e. the small indoor type gym) was far too boring compared to the 'everything you touch will move, jump, light up' style of entertainment you get in the UK. Here we are more likely to go for a walk in the bush or look for crabs at the beach. Our beaches weren't touristy enough, no icecream vans, holiday shops, etc etc, and the TV was very 'small town'. You get the idea. But we don't live in Auckland or Christchurch, maybe it's different there. As far as lifestyle goes, we haven't had a holiday outside of NZ in all the time I've been here, and where can you go? Of course NZ is beautiful enough to keep you happy on holidays for years to come, but if you are used to 2 foreign holidays a year, I'm afraid you might get a bit frustrated and maybe claustrophobic. But as the others said, it's hard to know who will enjoy it and who will be homesick, if you don't try, you won't know.
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:34 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

I believe it is possible to be both types of person and rather naive to suggest otherwise. My wife and I are very 'outdoorsy'! but also enjoy museums etc. We are heavily in to sports, playing and watching. All of your points are valid and on the money but it is possible to be a warrior poet!
Of course - I didn't mean to imply people are one or the other. there is plenty of the latter in NZ as well, it's just that lots of people aren't into outdoorsy things at all, and some complain of there being 'nothing to do' in NZ. People like yourself, who are heavily into sports, probably find NZ more their style - but then even you find it 'limiting', so imagine how someone who isn't into the outdoors or sports would find it!

what do you mean by limiting exactly?

I think daisy better expressed what i was getting at....

Last edited by jandjuk; Nov 2nd 2003 at 11:38 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jandjuk
Of course - I didn't mean to imply people are one or the other. there is plenty of the latter in NZ as well, it's just that lots of people aren't into outdoorsy things at all, and some complain of there being 'nothing to do' in NZ. People like yourself, who are heavily into sports, probably find NZ more their style - but then even you find it 'limiting', so imagine how someone who isn't into the outdoors or sports would find it!

what do you mean by limiting exactly?

I think daisy better expressed what i was getting at....
Limited?
Limited choice in the supermarkets
Limited choice in clothes shops
Limited intelligent comment in the media
Limited ability of Kiwis to laugh at themselves
Limited choice of art galleries of an international standing
Limited choice of museums of an international standing
Limited opportunities to travel abroad regularly
Limited patience with appalling driving
Limited outlook of so many Kiwis
Ample opportunity to return to the UK
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 6:28 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Could be Oz

The comments you make could be Oz so perhaps it is because it is relatively isolated and so is Oz.

I didn't think I was materialistic until I moved toOz (back now) I couldnt' believe the lack of choice in shops etc and lack of service but I got used to it. If you've never had it you don't miss it adn you can't insult everyone because you don't have it.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:23 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

Limited?
Limited choice in the supermarkets
Limited choice in clothes shops
Limited intelligent comment in the media
Limited ability of Kiwis to laugh at themselves
Limited choice of art galleries of an international standing
Limited choice of museums of an international standing
Limited opportunities to travel abroad regularly
Limited patience with appalling driving
Limited outlook of so many Kiwis
Ample opportunity to return to the UK
Fair enough, I agree with nearly all of those, which is why I was saying your 'passions' in life need to be different if you are to like NZ.

If any of the above things are what makes life worth living for you, then NZ isn't for you (as you've discovered). Perhaps it might not be for Gaffer as well....

I only one I never quite understand is "Limited ability of Kiwis to laugh at themselves". This seems to be something said about Australians as well. I can't say I've really noticed a difference in this regard between Brits and Kiwis.

How do Brits laugh at themselves more than Kiwis do?? Perhaps I just don't see it because I'm a Kiwi.

Last edited by jandjuk; Nov 3rd 2003 at 8:25 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.