Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to work in Williamstown,Vic

Moving to work in Williamstown,Vic

Old Sep 18th 2013, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to work in Williamstown,Vic

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
Thank you everyone for your help. It is igreat that the advice you are giving me backs up the research I have been doing on that side of Melbourne. I had a good look at the Williamstown High School website and all the stuff about limited numbers in year groups etc makes me think we'd have to be careful where we moved to to be in catchment. It does look lovely, very different to where we are in Sydney.

So the other question is if we looked at living the other side of Melbourne for better schools just how horrendous is the commute?
There used to be a catchment area, must still be. 3016 postcode and parts of 3015 guarantees inclusion. Some good suggestions about other areas to look at and not look at. Seaholme, 'Spotty', Newport etc - keep in mind that most of these areas wouldn't guarantee WHS places if that's important.

Good luck with the search. My personal preference would not be to commute from the other side FWIW.

Can you say what the employment opportunity is? eg Type of work, location
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:00 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't need the west gate bridge from Williamstown you go under it. If you are working the other side go by train.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 10:41 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
Thanks BB, I know you're right about visiting the place, I need to wangle a trip down to Melbourne and have a look around.
If you need accommodation I have a friend who will do mates rates for you if you give him my name(pm me).
It's on the the main street in Williamstown a minute from the marina.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

There's Werribee Secondary College which is a selective high school. It's not in Williamstown but still in the same vicinity though http://www.werribeesc.vic.edu.au/index.php?p=home
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
There's Werribee Secondary College which is a selective high school. It's not in Williamstown but still in the same vicinity though http://www.werribeesc.vic.edu.au/index.php?p=home
I might just have gone to school and played tennis with the principal! What I will say is that the school is a lot better than the area would suggest. Werribee is a good distance from Williamstown but not much more of a commute than closer places on the other side of the CBD.

If considering paying fees, Westbourne Grammar School has a good reputation and a junior campus on the waterfront at Williamstown itself, the secondary campus is further west but pupils are taken to there by bus. The kids in Grades 5 and 6 could graduate to WHS from Westbourne junior campus or alternatively from any of the 3 state schools (which have good reputations but are quite hard to get in to). My 2 nephews attended Westbourne and they and their parents speak very highly of it.

http://www.westbournegrammar.com/page/home.htm
Old Sep 25th 2013, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

On just receiving a newly published book 'In the King's name: a history of Williamstown' it reminds everyone that:

'Williamstown was named after a king - William IV of Great Britain - while Melbourne took its name from a mere Prime Minister, albeit England's Viscount Melbourne'.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 9:54 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by OzTennis
On just receiving a newly published book 'In the King's name: a history of Williamstown' it reminds everyone that:

'Williamstown was named after a king - William IV of Great Britain - while Melbourne took its name from a mere Prime Minister, albeit England's Viscount Melbourne'.
Just what I needed to hear'not' I'm living in an orange enclave.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Just what I needed to hear'not' I'm living in an orange enclave.
I'm afraid so although William IV was half German and half English unlike William III of Orange who was all Dutch Orangeman.

It's one of life's mysteries when you are at an Old Firm match and part of the crowd bang on about 1690, the other part have Irish tricolours and Belfast still burns every 12th July.

He died a few years after they named Williamstown after him and it never became the main settlement as it was originally intended so I wonder if he never got over it?