Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

moving to sydney in 6 weeks

moving to sydney in 6 weeks

Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

squalks is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool moving to sydney in 6 weeks

We are moving to sydney from the UK in about 6 weeks (dependant on the visas turning up on time!). My husband is going to be working in the Frenchs Forest area but we cannot decide where to live and hope we can get some advice.

Although we hear Manly is "the place" in this part of town, we think it is probably out of our rental price range as we are seeking a three bed house, close enough to walk to shops, bars, beaches if possible. Being based at home with a small baby I will want to get out and about daily and we also hear that public transport is pretty none existent in the Northern Beaches area? So does anybody have any helpful advice?

I am new to this site, but we have already found it to be so helpful, especially deciding on removal companies etc.. so thank you all!
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Smidgemum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to sydney in 6 weeks

Hi,

I don't have any info for you, but just to let you know that we are also moving to Sydney in around 6 weeks! My husband has taken a 2 year assignment with his firm and the visas have just been applied for. I have a 5 year old boy and a little girl who is just about to turn 2. My husband will be working out of the CBD so we were thinking about the north shore area or possibly Eastern suburbs...northern beaches would be too far out. If you do a search on Sydney on here, lots of posts re places to live/family areas etc show up. I've found it really helpful....we've never even been to Australia so really have no clue besides what we have been told by friends or read here. We are currently trying to get our house here rented out...big fun!

How long are you planning on staying?

Good luck!
Angela
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Hi - we moved here last year and live in Belrose next to Frenchs Forest, but a car is necessary as far as I'm concerned. You're right that Manly would be a good place to live if you want to walk everywhere - but it's quite expensive. Will you both have cars?

There are a few suburbs like Allambie, some parts of Brookvale (some parts of Brookie are a bit industrial) which are ok and you could walk to the Warringah Mall from there.

There are lots of buses along the Pittwater road, but any of the beachside suburbs, like Harbord, may be expensive for a 3-bedroom house.

When you arrive here you could consider joining a Mothers' group - then you will start meeting other Mums with babies of the same age.
Old Sep 23rd 2004, 2:10 am

gedge has disabled reputation

We've just moved out of the city to Queenscliff (top end of Manly beach).
It's a great spot for access to every thing, without being too in the thick of it. I work at Brookvale, and can walk it in half an hour.
We did look at Harbord, Curl Curl and Dee Why. Rental prices are all pretty similar, you get what you pay for. Possibly the further north, the cheaper they might be.
What would you consider expensive for a 3 bedder?

I done a quick search on domain and got prices between $400 and $900 per week.
Have you signed up to these?
Domain
Real Estate
Just Listed

Good luck!
Old Sep 24th 2004, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: moving to sydney in 6 weeks

Originally Posted by Smidgemum
Hi,

I don't have any info for you, but just to let you know that we are also moving to Sydney in around 6 weeks! My husband has taken a 2 year assignment with his firm and the visas have just been applied for. I have a 5 year old boy and a little girl who is just about to turn 2. My husband will be working out of the CBD so we were thinking about the north shore area or possibly Eastern suburbs...northern beaches would be too far out. If you do a search on Sydney on here, lots of posts re places to live/family areas etc show up. I've found it really helpful....we've never even been to Australia so really have no clue besides what we have been told by friends or read here. We are currently trying to get our house here rented out...big fun!

How long are you planning on staying?

Good luck!
Angela

Thank you for your message, we havent been to Australia before either, we do have some friends there who have said we are going to absolutely love it, so I am holding them to that!!

We are also trying to rent out our house at the moment, that has been one my biggest concerns, I would rather sell, but everyone says its best to rent it out, so that's what we are doing, and leaving most of our furniture too....eeek! We have got PSS coming round today to give us a quote for the things we do want to send over though. Who have you used for your removals?

We have applied for four-year visas, so I guess if we like it, then we will stay for the duration. We hope that if we really like it then at some point we can apply for residency but not clear on the procedure. Will just worry about getting there and settled for now I think :scared:

Good Luck to guys too, we may even been on arriving at the same time at this rate, I'll keep you posted on our progress
Old Sep 24th 2004, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
We've just moved out of the city to Queenscliff (top end of Manly beach).
It's a great spot for access to every thing, without being too in the thick of it. I work at Brookvale, and can walk it in half an hour.
We did look at Harbord, Curl Curl and Dee Why. Rental prices are all pretty similar, you get what you pay for. Possibly the further north, the cheaper they might be.
What would you consider expensive for a 3 bedder?

I done a quick search on domain and got prices between $400 and $900 per week.
Have you signed up to these?
Domain
Real Estate
Just Listed

Good luck!
Queenscliff has been recommended actually, and around that area would be ideal. We have been looking at those websites already thank you. There doesnt seem to be a lot about though. Our budget is about $600. Did you register with the agents on these sites and and did they send you plenty through to look at?
Old Sep 24th 2004, 12:27 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by squalks
Queenscliff has been recommended actually, and around that area would be ideal. We have been looking at those websites already thank you. There doesnt seem to be a lot about though. Our budget is about $600. Did you register with the agents on these sites and and did they send you plenty through to look at?
We did register with agencies, but whatever you do don't rely on them.
Sign up with at least domain and real estate, they seemed to cover most properties. Your best bet is to get the Sydney Morning Herald early on a saturday, cicel the ones that sound most promising and then try to get round them as best you can. It's not easy or fun, but it's the best way to get results.
Queenscliff is great. You should be ok on that budget. Drop us a line when you're here. Good luck!
Old Sep 24th 2004, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Hi - we moved here last year and live in Belrose next to Frenchs Forest, but a car is necessary as far as I'm concerned. You're right that Manly would be a good place to live if you want to walk everywhere - but it's quite expensive. Will you both have cars?

There are a few suburbs like Allambie, some parts of Brookvale (some parts of Brookie are a bit industrial) which are ok and you could walk to the Warringah Mall from there.

There are lots of buses along the Pittwater road, but any of the beachside suburbs, like Harbord, may be expensive for a 3-bedroom house.

When you arrive here you could consider joining a Mothers' group - then you will start meeting other Mums with babies of the same age.
Thanks for the info, we probably will get a car at some point, but we were hoping we would try and live without for a little while. My hubby is hoping he can cycle to work, something he has always wanted to be able to do, but never had that luxury and we both generally spend 1.5 hours in our cars currently getting to work! So we are certainly hoping for a much easier commute in sydney.