Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving From Scotland to WA

Moving From Scotland to WA

Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Calgibson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving From Scotland to WA

Hi there, I was looking for some help. My husband earns £25,000 pounds and I earn £17,000 pound here in Scotland he is a HGV mechanic and I am an Administrator in a Uni. He had applied for a job in a mine FIFO which he could earn $110,000-130,000 aus dollar. Or in a workshop $75,000 aus dollar. Obviously we would want this move if the lifestyle was better and we could afford a rented property near the sea and in a family friendly area. Can you please give me any comments as to whether this could be a good move or not!! Thanks Caroline xxxx
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving From Scotland to WA

Originally Posted by Calgibson
Hi there, I was looking for some help. My husband earns £25,000 pounds and I earn £17,000 pound here in Scotland he is a HGV mechanic and I am an Administrator in a Uni. He had applied for a job in a mine FIFO which he could earn $110,000-130,000 aus dollar. Or in a workshop $75,000 aus dollar. Obviously we would want this move if the lifestyle was better and we could afford a rented property near the sea and in a family friendly area. Can you please give me any comments as to whether this could be a good move or not!! Thanks Caroline xxxx
No not at all definately not a good move

The mines pay very well and the mechanics job isn't that bad either. My son in law is earning less than that and they're getting by reasonably well. They managed to rent a 4 bedroom with pool for around $400 per week.

The simple equation is take what you earn at present and multiply it by 2.2 to 2.4 if the new wage is the same or better then you should have the same if not better lifestyle even with the higher Oz costs. Most populated areas that are inhabited in Wa are near the coast so no worries there.

The mines are where the money is unless he's qualified for the Oil rigs then the money is even better.

Last edited by mvagusta; Feb 4th 2011 at 8:55 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Are you being a cheeky monkey I did try and work it out but you start doubting yourself.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Are you being a cheeky monkey I did try and work it out but you start doubting yourself.
Never ever doubt yourself. Others may pour scorn and patronise you but stick to your guns.

If he can get into the mines you've got it made from what I hear, although the rigs are seemingly even better.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:58 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends if you are planning on working as well once you get here!

The average wage in WA is around $87,000 and the median house prices in Waikiki or Safety Bay which were the 2 suburbs you seemed to be favouring in your last thread are just under $400k. The overall median houseprice for Perth is just under $500k.

So...... options.....

1. FIFO for hubby + you working + choosing a realistic suburb = great move. Do it now!

2. FIFO for hubby + you not working + realistic suburb = good move. Probably similar disposable income to Scotland but with different culture & experiences thrown in.

3. Workshop for hubby + you not working = bad move unless you are bringing lots of cash with you and can be mortgage free or alternatively are willing to a) reduce your expectations of living by the sea, b) have a 3x1 with no pool rather than 4x2 with pool, or c) are happy to rent for a good few years, possibly permanently.

Hope this helps.

PS. Did hubby get his airport taxis confirmed?
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
It really depends if you are planning on working as well once you get here!

The average wage in WA is around $87,000 and the median house prices in Waikiki or Safety Bay which were the 2 suburbs you seemed to be favouring in your last thread are just under $400k. The overall median houseprice for Perth is just under $500k.

So...... options.....

1. FIFO for hubby + you working + choosing a realistic suburb = great move. Do it now!

2. FIFO for hubby + you not working + realistic suburb = good move. Probably similar disposable income to Scotland but with different culture & experiences thrown in.

3. Workshop for hubby + you not working = bad move unless you are bringing lots of cash with you and can be mortgage free or alternatively are willing to a) reduce your expectations of living by the sea, b) have a 3x1 with no pool rather than 4x2 with pool, or c) are happy to rent for a good few years, possibly permanently.

Hope this helps.

PS. Did hubby get his airport taxis confirmed?
That does help thanks we kind of thought that and it is good to get the same advice from you. I would like to work but would have to be part-time or school hours as I will not have family to look after kids etc. Thanks again for your help
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Never ever doubt yourself. Others may pour scorn and patronise you but stick to your guns.

If he can get into the mines you've got it made from what I hear, although the rigs are seemingly even better.
Thank you for your advice and help really appreciated