Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Queensland

Moving to Queensland

Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

finchy88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Queensland

My wife and I have decided we would like to move to Queensland. Its very early days and we are finding it difficult to find all the information we need.

If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

I am a bricklayer so I believe i can get a 189 visa. Can anyone advise me on how much this visa would cost for me, my wife and our three kids under 4?

From what i can gather, bricklayers are making upwards of 75k, is this going to be enough for a family of five renting a house for 4-500 dollars a week. I know this is a difficult question to answer but a rough answer would be appreciated.

Can anyone advise a nice area to bring up a young family, our eldest is 4 and our twins are 1.

Any other advise or experiences you can share would be much appreciated.

Andy
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Queensland

Visa costs about $8100
Skills assessment and ILETS about $1000
Medicals and police checks about $1000

Shipping about £4-6000 depending
Flights about £2000
Temporary accomodation about £1-2000
Misc spends on arrival such as buying a car and others £5-10000
First months rent and deposit about £2000

Then the big important one. It can take time to find work and you need to budget for at least 3 months and ideally 6 months of no income, so enough to pay bills, rent, food, run a car and general living costs.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:33 am
Just Joined

finchy88 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's great thank you very much.

Is it worth looking in to sponsorship. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to this.
Old Feb 2nd 2017, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to look at that $75K, the award rate is $890 pw which is nearer $45K. http://calculate.fairwork.gov.au/Hom...n=926173442228

Sponsorship (if you can get it) gets you a visa quicker but its temporary, you loose the visa if you loose the job and can't find another sponsor, ideally you want an unsponsored permanent visa. I have no idea about construction but in some jobs sponsors pay absolute minimum as a way of getting cheap labor.

Even a single wage of $75K is not a huge amount for a family of 5, to say the least.

Last edited by freebo; Feb 2nd 2017 at 11:47 pm.