Reload this Page >

Moving to North Queensland

Moving to North Queensland

Old Feb 3rd 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

aarong89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to North Queensland

Hi Guys new poster here!

I am a physiotherapist in England and am looking to move to North Queensland (Cairns or Townsville) preferably as soon as is possible. Job market for physios is pretty good in Aus and my projected earnings are roughly between $60-80k on arrival. Im aware as a non resident il have to pay an increased tax rate for 6 months.

Im in the process of applying for physio registration and most employers are willing to sponsor on a 457 visa. I will only make the move once I have a job and start date lined up. Currently have around £6k saved and putting about 800 away a month.

My question to anyone who can help is how much money do I realistically need before making the move. Based on internet searches my budget currently is as follows

$3000 for physio related registration processes
$1360 bond based on an average fully furnished apartment in townsville city
$1462 - 1 months rent - $340 a week - based on an average fully furnished apartment in townsville city
$1100 for my 457 visa
$3000 for a crappy car to run around in until settled

So approx $9922 AUS (£6690). Plus I've allowed at least £5000 ($8150) for living whilst getting sorted e.g being able to pay rent whilst waiting for first pay packet etc.

Adding on my flights £600 brings a grand total of £12290 ($20,032)

As I have to complete a written assessment for physio its much easier for me to do this in London (March or Sept) than Brisbane. So will probably complete this in September and leave after that (unless of course I need far less money than I've budgetted) in which case il complete the assessment in London in March as leave soon as!

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Josie2916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to North Queensland

Hi new to this as well.

My wife and i are doing our research too as we are both registered adult nurses, wanting to move to australia.

We have roughly the same numbers but the difference is that your visa 457 i think thats a sponsored visa which ties you to your employer and is temporary. we went through UK Visa | UK Immigration Services: UK Visa Bureau for an assessment of our jobs and to get a bot more info, they advised a skilled independent subclass 189 visa. I might be wrong for your profession but thought it may be worth a look.

we also got allot of info off of Moving to Australia: Living in Australia – All About Emmigrating. just really for different costs of living etc. Can i ask have you decided your towns to live in because they would be close to work? just we are trying to decide the best part to go to and theres just so much of oz lol. we started out with Sydney and Brisbane as they seem be the popular areas for staff nurse jobs. like i said though we are just starting out.

goodluck Andy and Kirsty
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi there,

I was also looking into the subclass 189, however with private practice physio a lot of employers offer to sponsor and it seems to be the route that most physios do take, applying for a 189 when in the country and settled.

I chose the cities based on the weather as its always been my dream to live in a tropical climate. I love the heat!
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 7:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Josie2916
Hi new to this as well.

My wife and i are doing our research too as we are both registered adult nurses, wanting to move to australia.

We have roughly the same numbers but the difference is that your visa 457 i think thats a sponsored visa which ties you to your employer and is temporary. we went through UK Visa | UK Immigration Services: UK Visa Bureau for an assessment of our jobs and to get a bot more info, they advised a skilled independent subclass 189 visa. I might be wrong for your profession but thought it may be worth a look.

we also got allot of info off of Moving to Australia: Living in Australia – All About Emmigrating. just really for different costs of living etc. Can i ask have you decided your towns to live in because they would be close to work? just we are trying to decide the best part to go to and theres just so much of oz lol. we started out with Sydney and Brisbane as they seem be the popular areas for staff nurse jobs. like i said though we are just starting out.

goodluck Andy and Kirsty
Firstly make sure you can get a visa.....presumably you are both degree trained?...that is now a requirement to register......or your qualifications must be the equivalent of a degree

Then find a job....that will determine where you will live....it is not as easy as it used to be for nurses.....the bigger the city the greater the opportunities

The position of 'staff nurse' does not really exist in Australia....there are just different levels of registered nurse.

You are right to go for an independent visa as temporary ones can be problematical.

Bear in mind that different cities canl be a lot more expensive than others. Sydney, for example, can be very expensive for accommodation.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aarong89

I chose the cities based on the weather as its always been my dream to live in a tropical climate. I love the heat!
Just make sure you know what you are getting into.....the heat may seem attractive but it can very soon become a real pain especially when the humidity levels rise and the insects come out to play
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

Yes I'm degree trained and really familiar with the registration process for physiotherapy and my eligibility for a visa.

My plan was to go over on the 457 offered by most physio practices and obtain a 189 whilst in the country as most physios I have spoken to seem to take this route

Need to know if my sums are about right and I'm taking enough over!

I know its HOT, but I really do enjoy it, I lived in Cyprus through summer (I know not nearly as humid) and never tired of it. Plus I'm one of them nutters you see running in 30degree heat during mid day!

Last edited by aarong89; Feb 3rd 2017 at 8:10 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

I know its HOT, but I really do enjoy it, I lived in Cyprus through summer (I know not nearly as humid) and never tired of it. Plus I'm one of them nutters you see running in 30degree heat during mid day!
Fair enough...but Cyprus and Northern Queensland are light years apart.....there is a reason that the tropics are less populated than the more moderate climates.

Also bear in mind that you will not get late evenings further north....it gets dark pretty early all year round.

Still...each to their own
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Firstly make sure you can get a visa.....presumably you are both degree trained?...that is now a requirement to register......or your qualifications must be the equivalent of a degree

Then find a job....that will determine where you will live....it is not as easy as it used to be for nurses.....the bigger the city the greater the opportunities

The position of 'staff nurse' does not really exist in Australia....there are just different levels of registered nurse.

You are right to go for an independent visa as temporary ones can be problematical.

Bear in mind that different cities canl be a lot more expensive than others. Sydney, for example, can be very expensive for accommodation.
Thanks very much for the advice , we are both degree trained so hopefully will have no trouble with that side , agreed it matters as to where we stay . Obviously everyone is different but we will look into best places for us all round Australia Sydney and Brisbane just happen to be popular places to work so we thought start there see what we find out, ideally we like the heat but like you say it's not that great when your fighting insects lol can relate to that coming from Scotland and dealing with midges (moskitos) Thanks for the info 😉
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Yes I'm degree trained and really familiar with the registration process for physiotherapy and my eligibility for a visa.

My plan was to go over on the 457 offered by most physio practices and obtain a 189 whilst in the country as most physios I have spoken to seem to take this route

Need to know if my sums are about right and I'm taking enough over!

Quite right I think most of what you had we had , apart from food and communication and utilities we had a similar cost for utilities as the uk but good is more expensive having looked on the Woolworths website , we eat loads of whole chickens and veg, eggs etc and after a basic shop on the website we were $150 for a weeks food . Good luck 😉
Old Feb 3rd 2017, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

im the same I do bodybuilding so lots of chicken, eggs, beef, veg and rice oats etc. Aware its more expensive but I'm sure local butchers etc will be a bit cheaper