Reload this Page >

Moving to Melbourne

Moving to Melbourne

Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Kirstipops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Melbourne

Hi,

My company have offered me sponsorship to move to Melbourne to help start and run a new area of their existing business. I will be moving with my husband and 13 year old step daughter if she wants to give it a go.

We will be making the move in the middle of this year and it's only just been offered so need to confirm all of the details. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some advice as it's such a massive step!

We will need to survive on my wage alone until my husband can get a job. He is a Lorry driver here and will need to apply for an exemption so he doesn't need to retake his tests again. He likes the idea of being a bus driver, something he used to do in London so has experience. We are quite happy to live further out as I currently spend an hour and a half commuting anyway. Luxuries etc will come in time when we have two salaries coming in.

1. What is a reasonable salary to be able to support two adults and a teenager. By support I mean a roof over our heads, bills paid and food on the table.

2. Is anyone able to recommend any areas I can investigate that are safe, reasonably priced and have good high schools. There is just so many options would just like to be able to narrow it down a bit.

3. I've heard working hours are long? Is that true as I know what mine will be, but thinking of my husband.

4. Cars are a lot more expensive. How easy is it to get finance, do you need to be a permanent resident?

Thanks so much.

Kirsty
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 9:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Melbourne

What visa is the company offering? It makes a difference to your costs. Bear in mind that some states require temporary visa holders to pay for schooling and it's not cheap.

As for areas you will have to be a bit more specific. Where is the office location? Do you want urban or rural? What's the salary on offer? Surely if they've offered you a job they would have discussed salary before you would consider moving to the other side of the world.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne

Originally Posted by Kirstipops

1. What is a reasonable salary to be able to support two adults and a teenager. By support I mean a roof over our heads, bills paid and food on the table.
Piece of string question but $80,000 - $130,000 should cover it.

2. Is anyone able to recommend any areas I can investigate that are safe, reasonably priced and have good high schools. There is just so many options would just like to be able to narrow it down a bit.
Loads. Whereabouts is your job?

3. I've heard working hours are long? Is that true as I know what mine will be, but thinking of my husband.
Not sure about bus drivers, truck drivers are often self-employed and paid by the km, hence the long hours.

4. Cars are a lot more expensive. How easy is it to get finance, do you need to be a permanent resident?
Much easier to get a loan if you have PR. Why not buy an older car to start off with? I'm actually not convinced that cars are more expensive here, I think new cars are cheaper.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What visa is the company offering? It makes a difference to your costs. Bear in mind that some states require temporary visa holders to pay for schooling and it's not cheap.

As for areas you will have to be a bit more specific. Where is the office location? Do you want urban or rural? What's the salary on offer? Surely if they've offered you a job they would have discussed salary before you would consider moving to the other side of the world.
I'm not 100% sure on the details at the moment, I have a meeting a week today to discuss everything and to raise any questions.

The office is in Hawthorn. I don't mind travelling for up to an hour, maybe a bit further for the right place and have looked at Seaford/Chelsea as potential areas to include in my next visit before the move happens. I'd really love to be within walking distance to the beach. I come from the coast and miss it like crazy living in London. It's just not the same!

We haven't yet discussed salaries yet, but I'd like to have some kind of figure in my head so I know what they are offering is good enough. I'm in a very strong position with this opportunity because if I decline, it will make them very difficult for them to expand over here as they need my experience in a very niche role.

Thanks for your help
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Piece of string question but $80,000 - $130,000 should cover it.

Loads. Whereabouts is your job?

Not sure about bus drivers, truck drivers are often self-employed and paid by the km, hence the long hours.

Much easier to get a loan if you have PR. Why not buy an older car to start off with? I'm actually not convinced that cars are more expensive here, I think new cars are cheaper.
Thank you. I was thinking along the lines of 80k minimum although obviously I will push for more. Once we both get settled that will obviously be a lot more comfortable, but this is a once in a life time opportunity for me, with a lot of potential to build a whole new side of the Australian business. So I may have to adapt to not being as extravagant with my spending, knowing that a couple of years down the line it will have paid off.

The office is based in Hawthorn. I currently spend 3 hours a day in total commuting anyway, but would like to reduce this closer to 2 if possible. Really want to live by the sea too, and somewhere close enough to the city, but not in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere that has a community feel.

Thanks for the info about truck drivers. I think bus drivers get around $25 an hour. I think he'd quite like to get on a firm like Veoila as they are a good firm to work with here in the UK. He has experience on tipper lorries, so transporting rubble etc, doing the tarmac on the roads etc.

It's probably me just thinking that if I sell my car for £6k here, with the way the exchange rate is at the moment I would be able to get like for like. I have a 2011 VW Golf. I'd love to keep it as it's so reliable, but not worth paying to ship it over!

Thank you!
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Melbourne

The office is in Hawthorn. I don't mind travelling for up to an hour, maybe a bit further for the right place and have looked at Seaford/Chelsea as potential areas to include in my next visit before the move happens.
I think Seaford to Hawthorn would be a horrible commute, very few Melburnians would do that. Commuting to Hawthorn isn't very pleasant from anywhere with a beach really, maybe Brighton or Hampton but they are super-expensive.

Seaford can be a bit of an iffy area. The beach is stunning, and the townhouses and apartments along the beach are very nice, but Seaford does contain large pockets of places which are not desirable at all, and have quite a lot of social issues.

Not sure of your housing budget, but beach suburbs further into town would be nicer.

$80k is a low salary for a professional corporate person here - might apply to a 25 year old on their second job or something. I'd be asking for more. My 2 cents.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 9:08 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I think Seaford to Hawthorn would be a horrible commute, very few Melburnians would do that. Commuting to Hawthorn isn't very pleasant from anywhere with a beach really, maybe Brighton or Hampton but they are super-expensive.

Seaford can be a bit of an iffy area. The beach is stunning, and the townhouses and apartments along the beach are very nice, but Seaford does contain large pockets of places which are not desirable at all, and have quite a lot of social issues.

Not sure of your housing budget, but beach suburbs further into town would be nicer.

$80k is a low salary for a professional corporate person here - might apply to a 25 year old on their second job or something. I'd be asking for more. My 2 cents.
80k is low. If the position is that important to them I'd be asking for a permanent visa (no school fees etc) and at least 100k.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

To get an idea take your current salary in £ times it by 2.2 -2.5 and call that dollars. The exchange rate varies a lot and skews the number.

Also check if new salary includes super or if super is on top. So if your base salary is £50,000 ask for £125,000 as a starting point.

You also need to be clear on the visa they are offering a 457 is temporary and no matter what they promise does NOT become permanent after two years. Many employers say they will sponsor for PR but there is no guarantee. If you intend to stay then you should ask for a PR visa from day one or look into applying in your own right.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just got the rego and insurance quotes for my three year old VW Golf in SA. $730 insurance ( a good not a cheap policy) $719 rego ( no choices for that here). Petrol is cheaper here, servicing similar VW parts a bit dearer maybe, haven't needed any yet!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Janelle1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My company have offered me sponsorship to move to Melbourne to help start and run a new area of their existing business. I will be moving with my husband and 13 year old step daughter if she wants to give it a go.

We will be making the move in the middle of this year and it's only just been offered so need to confirm all of the details. I have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some advice as it's such a massive step!

We will need to survive on my wage alone until my husband can get a job. He is a Lorry driver here and will need to apply for an exemption so he doesn't need to retake his tests again. He likes the idea of being a bus driver, something he used to do in London so has experience. We are quite happy to live further out as I currently spend an hour and a half commuting anyway. Luxuries etc will come in time when we have two salaries coming in.

I would ask at least $95000 (that wud bring home appx 5300/5500 p/month). If u r looking at one wage supporting 3 of u, I wud highly recommm end at least $95000. Rent isn't cheap - we've been looking at 1 bed units / apartments which are in ok condition in the same areas uve mentioned, and we've been looking at 280-330 p/week, for a family of 3 ul need at least a 2 bed, so wud think ud need to put aside at least 350-400 p/week. With bills and rent put aside appx $3200 p/month (this includes gas, electric, rent, food, water, internet/phone,mobile,public transport for ur husband and daughter). $3200 doesn't include car,running costs,spending money,school books etc). Personally I dnt think $80000 would be enough for u to be comfortable, ull make the bills but it'll b a squeeze. Cost of living here is HIGH.
Chelsea,seaford,parkdale,hampton is nice, elsternwick .. Maybe carnegie.
Yep. They're long. If ur husband wants a job to tie him over - depending on where u live, consider baggage handler at airport (Menzies is one company u can apply with,I can't remember the others)
We saved some money and bought a brand new car,it was so cheap hyundai i20 for $12990 - there are some u can get very cheap - hyundai,toyota,swift .. expect insurance to be more than $600 p/a (we paid this -I'm an Australian and my husband welsh, so may b a little more for urselves), registration p/year $800 (depending on car obviously). There's no mot...then u have petrol - I'd suggest get a car which doesn't guzzle so much if u can..altho still cheaper than uk, petrol got to $1.44 p/l this week .. U will need to go to vicroads and apply for license - u dnt need to do test, and we never had our UK license taken off us but think it shud have been. Ul need proof of address before u do this.
Consider asking work to include a car in ur package??

Thanks so much.

Kirsty

Answers above
Old Jan 24th 2017, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rammygirl
To get an idea take your current salary in £ times it by 2.2 -2.5 and call that dollars. The exchange rate varies a lot and skews the number.

Also check if new salary includes super or if super is on top. So if your base salary is £50,000 ask for £125,000 as a starting point.

You also need to be clear on the visa they are offering a 457 is temporary and no matter what they promise does NOT become permanent after two years. Many employers say they will sponsor for PR but there is no guarantee. If you intend to stay then you should ask for a PR visa from day one or look into applying in your own right.
OK so I'm looking for minimum 100k. That really helps thank you.

What is super? Sorry to sound dense. I have done my research but literally so much to think about I'm totally overwhelmed!

What is the visa called where it's permanent? One of our guys moved out there on a 3 year sponsorship which is coming to an end so he's applying to be an permanent resident. I need to speak to him though as he may be doing it off his own back as he has ICT skills
Old Jan 24th 2017, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Uno17511
Answers above
Massive thanks. Really useful.

Ok so I'm defo looking minimum of 100k and going to ask for a car. Even if I contribute towards the lease or something. Don't ask don't get right?

Also going to make sure I'm getting the right visa.

Need to then check what school fees are like with that visa.

No wonder I've not slept in a couple of weeks. My husband tells me to stop thinking about it but he has no idea how much there is to think about!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 6:58 am
Still alive

Massive thanks. Really useful.

Ok so I'm defo looking minimum of 100k and going to ask for a car. Even if I contribute towards the lease or something. Don't ask don't get right?

Also going to make sure I'm getting the right visa.

Need to then check what school fees are like with that visa.

No wonder I've not slept in a couple of weeks. My husband tells me to stop thinking about it but he has no idea how much there is to think about!!!!
457 is temporary. You will pay school fees and not be entitled to any government benefits such as child tax credits or child care subsidy. You want an employer sponsored 190 (I think that's the right number).

Super is the 9% mandatory retirement saving plan. Some employers add it as an extra and others reduce your pay by the percentage. I work in state government and my super is 9.5% paid on top of my salary.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Wow thanks Dorothy. That's really good to know. At present, they have to now by law in the UK contribute to a pension. It's not quite that high though!

I'll do my research on that visa.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:56 am
Just Joined

It looks like this one might be the best for me but defo need an expert!

Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)

Features

​This visa is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers. It allows you to work in Australia under one of three streams:

the Temporary Residence Transition stream
the Direct Entry stream
the Agreement stream.

Requirements

You might be able to get this visa if you:

have been nominated by an approved Australian employer
are younger than 50 years of age, unless you are exempt
meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
apply under the stream for which you were nominated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.