Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:08 am
Just Joined

soozyq2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Hi there, we are in a similar situation and would appreciate your advice and how you are finding life in Perth. We are a family of 4 from Glasgow.

My husband will be working in CBD. We have 2 children, boy age 7 and girl age 3, we have a dog and a cat

My hubby is currently in Singapore and has been since early summer, we are now making the move to Perth as a family. Id like a much advice/tips as possible to try and make our new life out there as easy as possible. Have done lots of research online, but its more helpful to hear from people who are going through the same. Many thanks !!!

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis
My husband has just been offered a job in Perth meaning we will be leaving here mid Feb. Really looking forward to this new adventure for all of us. We have 3 children aged 8, 6 and 3.5.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live when we first arrive. looking for somewhere for a few weeks until we find a property to rent.

Been searching the various rental sites and seen a few places that sound good.

How does pre-school work in Perth? My son is use to going to school 5 mornings a week to mix with other kids and don't want him to miss out by not being able to start school.

We also have a cocker spaniel and struggling to decide whether or not to bring him with us or to rehome him before we move. We want to do whats best for him and if that means finding him a new home then thats what we'll do. We would prefer to keep him if we can but most rentals we looked at also don't allow pets.

Any info you think will help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soozyq2
Hi there, we are in a similar situation and would appreciate your advice and how you are finding life in Perth. We are a family of 4 from Glasgow.

My husband will be working in CBD. We have 2 children, boy age 7 and girl age 3, we have a dog and a cat

My hubby is currently in Singapore and has been since early summer, we are now making the move to Perth as a family. Id like a much advice/tips as possible to try and make our new life out there as easy as possible. Have done lots of research online, but its more helpful to hear from people who are going through the same. Many thanks !!!
The Wild Haggis posted 3 times and hasn't been back since, so might not respond to you. Still there are plenty of others around that live in Perth and will be happy to share their wisdom and experience.

I find though, it is best to be a bit more specific with questions if you can otherwise people don't really know what you are looking for and might end up not replying at all.

Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

soozyq2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bermudashorts.....I know I should be more specific....

I suppose Im trying to get a feel of how people who have made the move have found it...Im quite a homebody, although I am excited to make the move as its the best option for us a family.

We know of a few areas that have been recommended to us....Stirling, Cottesloe, Hillarys... we would of course do our own research into these and many more.

My eldest son is at a Catholic primary at home and my daughter attends nursery 5mornings a week, I would like to try and get a feel for schools/nursery, again Ive been looking online, its a bit like information overload !

Really if anyone on the forum can share their experience of their move, any tips/advice to help us settle would be really useful
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soozyq2
Thanks Bermudashorts.....I know I should be more specific....

I suppose Im trying to get a feel of how people who have made the move have found it...Im quite a homebody, although I am excited to make the move as its the best option for us a family.

We know of a few areas that have been recommended to us....Stirling, Cottesloe, Hillarys... we would of course do our own research into these and many more.

My eldest son is at a Catholic primary at home and my daughter attends nursery 5mornings a week, I would like to try and get a feel for schools/nursery, again Ive been looking online, its a bit like information overload !

Really if anyone on the forum can share their experience of their move, any tips/advice to help us settle would be really useful
Hi Soozy, not being an expat I can't help with your questions about moving and settling in, but I can talk about Perth.

Perth sometimes earns the title Dullsville from our more cosmopolitan cousins in Sydney and Melbourne, and to a certain extent that's justified. We certainly don't have the level of nightlife, bars and cafes they do, although I think that what we do have in that line is quite good. However, there's no doubt in my mind that the majority of young people coming over to experience Oz would get more of a buzz out of one of the bigger cities.

Where Perth stands out, in my opinion, is that it's a great place to be parents and raise young kids. There are umpteen suburbs that have the local primary and high school as their hub, and parent involvement in the schools can be as little or as much as you like. Tons of local parks, good beaches with lifesavers on duty, and good holiday spots within striking distance.

Our summers are hot, sometimes very, very hot. The first thing the kids learn in school here is 'slip, slop, slap' - slip on a shirt, slop on some sunscreen, and slap on a hat. That said, I've never heard a kid complain about the heat, especially if they're at the pool or beach. Us adults are a bit different, we like to whinge about it

My kids are adults so I can't really comment on what schools are good/not so good. My stepson went to a Catholic secondary school, Chisolm College in Bedford, and I thought it was a great school although a bit too fond of putting the bite on parents for extra money throughout the year.

If you have any specific questions re Perth, I'll try to help. In the meantime, enjoy your planning and an advance 'Welcome to Perth'