Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Old Dec 10th 2013, 2:25 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
TheWildHaggis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

My husband has just been offered a job in Perth meaning we will be leaving here mid Feb. Really looking forward to this new adventure for all of us. We have 3 children aged 8, 6 and 3.5.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live when we first arrive. looking for somewhere for a few weeks until we find a property to rent.

Been searching the various rental sites and seen a few places that sound good.

How does pre-school work in Perth? My son is use to going to school 5 mornings a week to mix with other kids and don't want him to miss out by not being able to start school.

We also have a cocker spaniel and struggling to decide whether or not to bring him with us or to rehome him before we move. We want to do whats best for him and if that means finding him a new home then thats what we'll do. We would prefer to keep him if we can but most rentals we looked at also don't allow pets.

Any info you think will help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
TheWildHaggis is offline  
Old Dec 11th 2013, 3:24 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

I will just comment on the pet situation.

Most rentals wil not say "pets welcome", only a few will say that. However it does not mean that the majority of places will not accept pets. Accordingly you cannot judge this from looking on the internet. We were under the impression it would be very hard to rent with two cats before we moved here but in the event it was not trouble whatsoever.

If you want to bring the dog and think he is up to the journey then bring him. I honestly think having the family pet with you helps with the settling in.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Dec 11th 2013, 7:40 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
TheWildHaggis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Thanks for the advice.
TheWildHaggis is offline  
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:03 pm
  #4  
DML
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

If you're coming in Feb and want to bring your dog then you'll need to get onto it pretty quick as its a lengthy and involved process. We brought two olde english sheepdogs to the outback from the scottish highlands (so it can be done!!) and can highly recommend http://petairuk.com/
DML is offline  
Old Dec 11th 2013, 11:45 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 20,046
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis View Post
My husband has just been offered a job in Perth meaning we will be leaving here mid Feb. Really looking forward to this new adventure for all of us. We have 3 children aged 8, 6 and 3.5.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live when we first arrive. looking for somewhere for a few weeks until we find a property to rent.

Been searching the various rental sites and seen a few places that sound good.

How does pre-school work in Perth? My son is use to going to school 5 mornings a week to mix with other kids and don't want him to miss out by not being able to start school.

We also have a cocker spaniel and struggling to decide whether or not to bring him with us or to rehome him before we move. We want to do whats best for him and if that means finding him a new home then thats what we'll do. We would prefer to keep him if we can but most rentals we looked at also don't allow pets.

Any info you think will help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hi there I agree that if you want to bring your furry friend then it's worth trying to make this work. It's true that a lot of agents specify 'no pets' and there's no getting around the fact that it does make it more difficult, but there seem to be quite a few success stories on BE about people securing rentals with pets.

Your more immediate problem might be finding temporary accommodation that will accept pets. That pretty much leaves out hotels, I don't know any in Perth that would consider a dog. I'd try sites like airbnb, Stayz etc - you can communicate with the owners prior to your move and find out if they'll accept your dog.

Re areas - where will your husband be working? Will he need to rely on public transport to get to/from work, or are you planning to buy a car on arrival? What's your rental budget? This will help any advice to be more targeted to your needs.

Very exciting time for you and your family!
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2013, 10:21 am
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
TheWildHaggis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

My husband will be working in the CBD. We aren't planning on getting a car so going to try public transport. We are use to commuting at home so anything up to a 45 minute commute is acceptable.
TheWildHaggis is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2013, 11:44 am
  #7  
DML
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 189
DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Check out http://www.holidayingwithdogs.com.au/ and http://www.takeabreak.com.au/holidayingwithpets.htm for initial accommodation options if you can bring your dog with you. There are other sites too - Google is your friend.

Also be aware that the Perth quarantine station is closing permanently early next year so you would have to bring your pet in via Sydney or Melbourne. If he's not too big then you can fly him across to Perth once he's completed his quarantine period. Ours were too big to do that, we had to drive down to Melbourne to collect them in person.

It was a hassle and expensive but worth every cent/penny to us.
DML is offline  
Old Dec 12th 2013, 4:43 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 214
bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis View Post
My husband will be working in the CBD. We aren't planning on getting a car so going to try public transport. We are use to commuting at home so anything up to a 45 minute commute is acceptable.
I think that the only way to survive in Perth without a car would be to live in the very expensive inner suburbs. I don't know a single family without a car and I would not be able to do all the family stuff without one. The public transport system here is just not good enough, unless you want to go to the CBD.
bitzenpces is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2013, 3:26 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,329
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis View Post
My husband will be working in the CBD. We aren't planning on getting a car so going to try public transport. We are use to commuting at home so anything up to a 45 minute commute is acceptable.
I would rethink that. Your husband will probably go into the CBD by train and the trains are excellent (though VERY crowded). But for every thing else you will probably need a car. Perth is not like UK cities where there are shops and everything on your doorstep in a short walk. Unless, most of the suburbs need a car to go to the shops. Also, everything is very spread out and using public transport to get to places can be a pain. For example, i live south. Freo is between me and Perth. But, to get to Freo by public transport means a bus to the train station - which on a sunday only runs every 2 hours - then a train into Perth, going past freo, then a train back south to Freo. A pain in the kneck.

We managed without a car for the first 2 years, but would not want to be without one again!
verystormy is offline  
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:44 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Hi there I agree that if you want to bring your furry friend then it's worth trying to make this work. It's true that a lot of agents specify 'no pets' and there's no getting around the fact that it does make it more difficult, but there seem to be quite a few success stories on BE about people securing rentals with pets.

Your more immediate problem might be finding temporary accommodation that will accept pets. That pretty much leaves out hotels, I don't know any in Perth that would consider a dog. I'd try sites like airbnb, Stayz etc - you can communicate with the owners prior to your move and find out if they'll accept your dog.

Re areas - where will your husband be working? Will he need to rely on public transport to get to/from work, or are you planning to buy a car on arrival? What's your rental budget? This will help any advice to be more targeted to your needs.

Very exciting time for you and your family!
It was not my experience that most landlords say no pets. My experience is that most don't specify and some say no pets.

And I am sure nobody tries to bring their pet into temporary accommodation.

The sensible thing to do is to use quarantine time to locate the permanent rental. And with shorter quarantine times, a bit of time in the kennels before the pets fly and perhaps afterwards will usually allow enough time for most people to secure the long term rental.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2013, 12:16 am
  #11  
Concierge
 
spouse of scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 20,046
spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts View Post
It was not my experience that most landlords say no pets. My experience is that most don't specify and some say no pets.

And I am sure nobody tries to bring their pet into temporary accommodation.

The sensible thing to do is to use quarantine time to locate the permanent rental. And with shorter quarantine times, a bit of time in the kennels before the pets fly and perhaps afterwards will usually allow enough time for most people to secure the long term rental.
People coming from the UK may have no idea about what is and isn't common practice in Oz. It doesn't hurt to give them as much information as possible - they'll only use what they personally need.
spouse of scouse is offline  
Old Dec 14th 2013, 5:30 am
  #12  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 691
aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis View Post
My husband has just been offered a job in Perth meaning we will be leaving here mid Feb. Really looking forward to this new adventure for all of us. We have 3 children aged 8, 6 and 3.5.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live when we first arrive. looking for somewhere for a few weeks until we find a property to rent.

Been searching the various rental sites and seen a few places that sound good.

How does pre-school work in Perth? My son is use to going to school 5 mornings a week to mix with other kids and don't want him to miss out by not being able to start school.

We also have a cocker spaniel and struggling to decide whether or not to bring him with us or to rehome him before we move. We want to do whats best for him and if that means finding him a new home then thats what we'll do. We would prefer to keep him if we can but most rentals we looked at also don't allow pets.

Any info you think will help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Keep your dog - there are pet friendly rentals and a website - google pet friendly rentals Perth
aussietobe is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2013, 1:00 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 280
kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
I would rethink that. Your husband will probably go into the CBD by train and the trains are excellent (though VERY crowded). But for every thing else you will probably need a car. Perth is not like UK cities where there are shops and everything on your doorstep in a short walk. Unless, most of the suburbs need a car to go to the shops. Also, everything is very spread out and using public transport to get to places can be a pain. For example, i live south. Freo is between me and Perth. But, to get to Freo by public transport means a bus to the train station - which on a sunday only runs every 2 hours - then a train into Perth, going past freo, then a train back south to Freo. A pain in the kneck.

We managed without a car for the first 2 years, but would not want to be without one again!
Totally agree. I can't imagine living here without a car. I commute to work in Perth 5 days a week by train.

I leave my car at Warnbro station.On the way home I have to pick up my son from child care. Even though I only live 6km from the station it would be a nightmare doing this journey by bus to and from the station, child care centre and my home.
kips is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:48 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 214
bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by kips View Post
Totally agree. I can't imagine living here without a car. I commute to work in Perth 5 days a week by train.

I leave my car at Warnbro station.On the way home I have to pick up my son from child care. Even though I only live 6km from the station it would be a nightmare doing this journey by bus to and from the station, child care centre and my home.
A few months ago I looked up travelling by public transport from home to work via childcare. Basically, it wasn't possible to get to work by 8 am, there were no buses early enough, that would connect with other buses, then on to a train line, etc.
bitzenpces is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2013, 2:56 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
paulandcelia's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: PK,WA
Posts: 315
paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to Perth from Scotland Help?

Originally Posted by TheWildHaggis View Post
My husband has just been offered a job in Perth meaning we will be leaving here mid Feb. Really looking forward to this new adventure for all of us. We have 3 children aged 8, 6 and 3.5.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to live when we first arrive. looking for somewhere for a few weeks until we find a property to rent.

Been searching the various rental sites and seen a few places that sound good.

How does pre-school work in Perth? My son is use to going to school 5 mornings a week to mix with other kids and don't want him to miss out by not being able to start school.

We also have a cocker spaniel and struggling to decide whether or not to bring him with us or to rehome him before we move. We want to do whats best for him and if that means finding him a new home then thats what we'll do. We would prefer to keep him if we can but most rentals we looked at also don't allow pets.

Any info you think will help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Firstly congratulations on your new adventure.....

You don't say what visa you are on but if its an employer sponsored(457) then it can have an impact on costs, getting finance and medicare..its not impossible but you will get asked.

My children were a similar age, you will probably find the youngest will not get a place in a Kindy as they get full very quickly and the schools will be shut for the summer hols so be prepared to spend quality time with him unless you pay for a daycare centre.

How old is your dog? We brought ours over which cost as much as all five of us to fly but well worth it. We kenneled him near Heathrow for a week after we flew and by the time he had done his time in quarantine we had our rental. But start the pet passport process asap and get advice before any vaccinations, they affect blood tests before they can travel.

YOU WILL NEED A CAR in Perth, public transport is great to the city if you are next to a train line, patchy at best anywhere else but getting around, shopping etc will be a nightmare without one........mine will be for sale early next year, going cheap!!!

I deliberately haven't said any area's where to live because everyone's taste is so different and most places will have good and bad neighbours. The advantage of renting is you can always find somewhere else 6mths/1yr down the line. google holiday accommodation for when you first arrive, it can be cheaper than hotels.

It will seem very daunting to sort out so much in such a short space of time, but it can be done. Best decision we ever made.

Good luck
paulandcelia is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.