Moving to Perth

Old Jan 4th 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

klgomm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth

Sorry guys have been working a long day today so off the computer.

Thanks so much for all your messages. Anything over a million is Definately out!!! More like 750k!!

I work in a high dependant surgical ward at the moment, but am not sure if I want to stay in clinical or not, was actually thinking if getting into research myself, but will have a look at what's out there.
My hubby is a systems network engineer and has registered with recruitment agencies there.

I think we need to start broadening our range outside of perth maybe, to see a drop in the house prices!!

Is there a difference between the north and south of perth? House price etc wise?

Speaking of no alcohol, we've made a pack to have a month with no alcohol in Jan!!! Ouch!!!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends... On how far NOR or SOR you go... Andnwhich area you want...

Are you looking for new build with smaller block or older house with more land? Do you want to drive 10 minutes to the beach? or walk 10 minutes to the beach?

I think your house questions will be better answered once you have seen Perth... It's size, it's sprawl its suburbs, beaches and what's available....

I saw some jobs advertised a couple of months ago for clinical trials co ordinators... It's not necessarily an easy area to get into, I have this feeling that I just got VERY VERY lucky when I got this....
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:32 am
Just Joined

We have been looking further North over the last few days, the Mindarie area. They are building a new development to srawl from the beach to the freeway almost called Catalina. I am not sure what thats like, but the area is cheaper and schools appear nice.

Its very difficult as you say really, we'll know more when we get there I suppose
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klgomm
We have been looking further North over the last few days, the Mindarie area. They are building a new development to srawl from the beach to the freeway almost called Catalina. I am not sure what thats like, but the area is cheaper and schools appear nice.

Its very difficult as you say really, we'll know more when we get there I suppose
I think Mindarie would be a bit of a trek for you.Maybe!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Agree. Murdoch is around 50km from Mindarie, and in peak hour traffic your driving commute could be up to an hour and a half each way. Irishbloo, if you're looking for a nice area fairly close to the beach as well as Murdoch, Hamilton Hill might be a good option, It's just south of Freo, less than 10 minutes drive to the beach and about 15 minutes to Murdoch. Other suburbs that might fit the bill are Winthrop and Bull Creek, not as close to the beach but very close to Murdoch. You'd get a really nice house in any of these suburbs for AU$750,000, but in my view Hamilton Hill would be best. Very close to everything you need. It used to be a bit down and out but is absolutely booming at the moment, and oh so close to the Mecca that is Freo
Old Jan 7th 2013, 10:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I meant klgomm. How embarrassment
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from the drive, I wouldn't fancy Catalina as it's right next to Tamala Park dump.

(Handy for Bunnings and sausage sizzles though .......)
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi and welcome
Just wanted to pick up on an earlier comment regarding some very sensible advice on schools ect....we looked at school first and wanted shenton/churchlands but quickly discovered rents and house prices were off the scale for us and we would never be able to buy in those areas. We reverted exactly as mentioned to go after the 3 private schools wed been on waiting lists for and were lucky to come up with a good one where our son and us are happy, we also bought a place not so far away.......Life is for living and you will answer lots of your own questions starting just after you step off that long flight....
Be Lucky

Sorry guys have been working a long day today so off the computer.

Thanks so much for all your messages. Anything over a million is Definately out!!! More like 750k!!

I work in a high dependant surgical ward at the moment, but am not sure if I want to stay in clinical or not, was actually thinking if getting into research myself, but will have a look at what's out there.
My hubby is a systems network engineer and has registered with recruitment agencies there.

I think we need to start broadening our range outside of perth maybe, to see a drop in the house prices!!

Is there a difference between the north and south of perth? House price etc wise?

Speaking of no alcohol, we've made a pack to have a month with no alcohol in Jan!!! Ouch!!!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for all the messages guys!! I will look up Hamilton Hill, that's sounds an idea.
It's such s minefield and I agree that it will probably become a lot clearer once we get there and have a drive about.
I didn't realise about that dump-not good in the heat to have a tip next door!! :-0!!
Not 100% sure on which hospitals to go for at the moment as its a year away until the new one is built. I have been looking at some of the others too. I will try and meet up with a few if the HR bods whilst there to look into Aussie shift patterns etc, as I think they differ to ours.

We Definately need to make sure we sort out a nice, reasonably priced area that we can afford first before plunging into school league tables I think.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:19 pm
Concierge

Thanks so much for all the messages guys!! I will look up Hamilton Hill, that's sounds an idea.
It's such s minefield and I agree that it will probably become a lot clearer once we get there and have a drive about.
I didn't realise about that dump-not good in the heat to have a tip next door!! :-0!!
Not 100% sure on which hospitals to go for at the moment as its a year away until the new one is built. I have been looking at some of the others too. I will try and meet up with a few if the HR bods whilst there to look into Aussie shift patterns etc, as I think they differ to ours.

We Definately need to make sure we sort out a nice, reasonably priced area that we can afford first before plunging into school league tables I think.
Fremantle Hospital is 10 minutes away from Hamilton Hill, it's a large tertiary (teaching) hospital. There's some talk that its Emergency dept. will be downgraded once FS is built, but it's large intake of inpatients will stay the same.

As for FS hospital being finished within the next 1-2 years, don't hold your breath!! I have never, ever seen a WA building contract finish anywhere near the projected time, or come in at anywhere near the projected budget!!
Old Jan 9th 2013, 2:20 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Fremantle Hospital is 10 minutes away from Hamilton Hill, it's a large tertiary (teaching) hospital. There's some talk that its Emergency dept. will be downgraded once FS is built, but it's large intake of inpatients will stay the same.

As for FS hospital being finished within the next 1-2 years, don't hold your breath!! I have never, ever seen a WA building contract finish anywhere near the projected time, or come in at anywhere near the projected budget!!
Sorry, that should have read 'a WA government building contract'
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

blueblackstar is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a nurse in the early stages of considering a move 'down under'. We are a family of four, with two children currently 8 & 2. I work nights presently, but start full time days again in a few weeks.

We are now researching as much as we possibly can regarding both Australia and NZ. I always felt I'd prefer NZ but the weather is drawing me to Oz!! There seem so many pros and cons for both EA & WA....

I have only been qualified for just over 4 years and feel my nursing education isn't complete. Are there universities in Perth where I could further my education? Do you know if the Australian system is similar to the UK's in that respect?

It feels like a huge minefield. Due to current finances a visit won't be possible for over 12 months, so I plan to read every post I can and look on as many websites as possible to help give us a vague idea of what we might fancy/suit us.

Also watching 'Wanted Down Under' again, not for their stories but for the information.

Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Blueblackstar,

My advice about Wanted down under...Dont believe too much of what they say. After MUCH research into this move, half the time the info they give about the visa's etc is totally inaccurate! Especially with Nursing! Its good to watch and get an idea of house prices/sights/areas, but take any major info they tell you with a pich of salt.
I'd reccommend contacting one of the visa agencies, they have loads of info and the ANMC (Australian Nursing and Midwiffery Council). It used to be that you had to have worked 12 months out of the last 24 (Not including mat leave) to apply for state sponsorship, but I think they've reduced that now. You have to have been working at least 20 hrs per week as a permenant employee, not bank/agency and you have to go through a skills assessment/academic English Language test before you can register an interest. It maybe an idea to do that while you're waiting for a visit, then you can apply straight away when you get back if you like it.

Totally agree - The whole thing is one big minefield!!! I feel like I'm about half way through it at the mo...no light at the end of the tunnel yet. Tjis emigrating lark def isnt for the faint hearted!!! Lol
Old Jan 9th 2013, 11:08 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
If you are looking a public schools, make sure you pick a house 'within' the school catchment area. Much of the time they are very strict that your kids will only go to the school if they live in the area.

If you are looking at Private education, check with schools on the waiting list, which are often very long.

Here's a good website for schools. http://www.myschool.edu.au/

You mentioned Catalina..... Not sure how much you know about the area? Here's a view of Catalina http://goo.gl/maps/mcxwd Currently they are putting in the infrastructure to start building and there are no houses yet. Can you see on the map the large 'excavation' in the middle of the map? That is the rubbish tip. To the top of the picture and opposite the entrance to Catalina is Bunnings (B&Q) and other industrial building and a medium sized shopping centre.

No school close that I can think of, There is Kinross to the South, Mindarie to the West and Clarkson for primary schools and The same again for secondary schools with Peter Moyes Anglican (Next to Mindarie college) which is private. Here's a map of the schools. http://goo.gl/maps/79szp

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info in the schools, I'll check out the links youve given me.

Yes catalina, someone else mentionned the rubbish dump-Maybe not, I cant imagine it'd smell to nice in the heat. Mindarie looks quite nice though, with the Marina, we may have a little drive round there I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.