Moving to Perth

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

klgomm is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving to Perth

We are a family of 4 (Kids ages: 6 and 10), currently considering moving to Perth.

We are going over for a visit in Feb, hopefully to look around some suburbs, schools, look into general employment oppotunities and general cost of living etc.

As a nurse I am interested in the South of Perth/Freemantle area as they are currently building a new hospital around the Murdoch area.

Could anyone recomend any nice family centered suburbs around this area with good quality primary/secondary schools, as we would like to look round a few whilst we are there to get an idea.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth

Fiona Stanley

It's on the Mandurah line/ kwinana FW

You can pretty much Pick any suburb served by those two and start looking...

Where you end up pretty much depends on what your budget is, aspirations for childs education and lifestyle needs.....
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome BTW... It's only 0400 here, I forgot the niceties
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I'm slowly learning how to use this forum.

We are looking for middle of the range finances I guess, renting not buying. We will be looking for a good primary school and secondary for our eldest in a year or 2.
We want to be near (ish) to the beach, but finances will determine how near. Just a nice family centered suburb with some parks/good ammenities really. By the look of it, theres so many between the coast and Murdoch!!
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by klgomm
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply. I'm slowly learning how to use this forum.

We are looking for middle of the range finances I guess, renting not buying. We will be looking for a good primary school and secondary for our eldest in a year or 2.
We want to be near (ish) to the beach, but finances will determine how near. Just a nice family centered suburb with some parks/good ammenities really. By the look of it, theres so many between the coast and Murdoch!!
Dont just looks in a line from FIona Stanley straight to beach... Look up and down too...

Have you been to Perth before? What areas have sparked your interest? Is the February visit a reckie? Or validation trip? Or are you already in Australia and just moving interstate? Do you have a visa yet?

Middle of the range finances.... That's an elastic concept..... Is that with one or both of you working? If you are a nurse are you going to be working unsocial hours? Do you need child care facilities nearby...

Sorry to answer a question with so many questions... But it helps other people help you.... If you see what I mean....
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Hiya,

No, thats great, its brill having someone who knows what theyre talking about.

We will both be working, but I hope to only work part-time. I have been told that they accomodate nurses with kids quite well, so I'm hoping that it'll just be a small amount of afterschool childcare. Do you have any insight into this?
I am going to be meeting with a contact whilst we're out there regarding the nursing etc. I have just got my positive skills assessment and IELTS back, so we are ready to apply as soon as we get back. Our agent said it could be quite quick from then, maybe as little as 3-4 months.

Never been to Perth before, but my family have visited and my Husband knows some friends there. When we were looking around, it seemed the best place for what we were looking for.

I have looked generally at areas around South Perth/Freemantle/Murdoch and there were loads, but a few suburbs caught our eye (Applecross/Mount Pleasant/Ardross/Coogee etc), they all seem to have their own primary/secondary schools, but it looks like some are free, some private and some are a combination of both.

We ideally wanted to have a little look at a few areas and schools when we get there all being well to get a feel for it, but Its like looking for a diamond in a haystack! So big compared to little old UK!

How long have you been out there? Are you also a Nurse?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yup... But I'm working in research up in the city now... Live down in Rockingham.... We have 4 kids... As for family friendly... Yes... Right... You can choose to work nights and weekends to avoid childcare costs... But truly family friendly... Shifts that fit around dropping off and picking up at school...school holidays off etc etc etc.... Jobs like that will be hens teeth... Considering the nature of our work.... What kind of nursing do you do?

The areas you mention are nice... But pretty expensive.... What kind of work does your OH do?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Forgot to mention the renting out of your budget trap that some people have fallen into...

Arrive, find a decent school in an area they can't afford to buy in, so rent.... Then find themselves either having to move schools when they buy in an area they can afford... Or stay renting til the kids have left education....

Seen it happen..... Maybe renting in a cheaper area where you will eventually be able to buy? then spending the excess money on private school fees... Private schooling is way cheaper he than in the uk... Not that we can afford it.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The median house price in Applecross is currently $1.68 MILLION

Are you seriously considering that?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
The median house price in Applecross is currently $1.68 MILLION

Are you seriously considering that?
Yeah, my SIL lives in Mount Pleasant and it's similar...average close to $1 million.

Welcome klglomm.

I'd say with the Mandurah line and easy connection to the Fiona Stanley, you could live in any of the suburbs on the line as eddie mentioned and not just in a straight line across to the water. It gives you a wider range of options, including as mentioned, renting (or buying) in a cheaper suburb and sending the kids to private school if you wish.

Last edited by Japonica; Jan 3rd 2013 at 11:54 pm. Reason: apparently lack of caffeine affects dubious typing skills
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, my SIL lives in Mount Pleasant and it's similar...average close to $1 million.

Welcome klglomm.

I'd say with the Mandurah line and easy connection to the Fiona Stanley, you could live in any of the suburbs on the line and not just as eddie mentioned in a straight line across to the water. It gives you a wider range of options, including as mentioned, renting (or buying) in a cheaper suburb and sending the kids to private school if you wish.
Wasn't me who mentioned a straight line across to the water... It was her...
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't me who mentioned a straight line across to the water... It was her...
I know that. Not enough coffee yet this morning. Will edit.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Japonica
I know that. Not enough coffee yet this morning. Will edit.
Not enough alcohol this morning will amend situation immediately
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Not enough alcohol this morning will amend situation immediately
Old Jan 4th 2013, 4:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that recruitment for FSH won't start for another year. Coming to Perth to scout for jobs at the new hospital in February this year isn't likely to yield any results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.