Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth...

Moving to Perth...

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth...

Hi guys,

My family and I recently moved from Europe to New Zealand, we have been here about 6 months and now been approached by a couple of employers in Australia, the best offer we have had is a move to Perth.

I only have a few questions but most of the people i have talked to love Perth but they are all young and loving go out on the town every night and living it up, is it a decent place for a family too?

Are there many parks or places to go for the day as a family?

What sort of areas are best avoided for living? I am pretty sure the office i will be working from is around Bibra lake so any reccomandations of decent areas around there?

Is there anything else i should be asking my employer about that as an expat we might not usually ask?

thanks in advance!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:28 am
Just Joined

aussie-pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Perth...

Hi Ben,

Bibra Lakes meant to be nice. Most places around Perth have parks etc.

I would say have a drive around some areas and check for the following:

No hoon cars (I.e. V8's)
No rubber marks on the road
No kids hanging around at night

The above are usually tell tale signs of an area that may not be suited for a family.

Check all your paperwork for any new contract, is it permanent or a casual position, are you tied in, is the salary what they promised etc.

Good luck.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info!

The company taking us over are putting us for a month in accomodation so will have time to have a good look round and find somewhere half decent!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Are you willing to lose you NZ visas then?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

North of Bibra Lake the suburbs are older, > 30years, which means the houses are often not to a standard you would like.

South and east of Bibra Lake, suburbs a newish, houses are often very close together. I think if I were to work in Bibra Lake, i would look at Canning Vale. Canning Vale is large and has a large range of properties and in my view many nice estates.

For me, things like shopping are also points to consider. I must say, I don't like the Cockburn shopping centre at all, it's the closest to Bibra Lake. It's a pain to get in and out.

Bibra Lake, Jandakot are the hottest areas in Perth in summer, and the coldest in winter. Aircon would be helpful.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Perth is more a young family sort of place. A bit surprised to read you heard from young people who like going out everynight that it was a good place.
The case being those are the people who usually say Perth is boring and night life limited.

Anyway Perth is a generally suburban lifestyle,expensive,quiet and built with young families in mind.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you willing to lose you NZ visas then?
Not overly pleased about it but the offer is pretty decent and we all have British passports so it's not like we need kiwi citizenship desperately, I have a job which is in demand worldwide and on nigh on all countries lists for skilled workers or at least a concession of it.

We don't plan to live away from Europe forever so make the most of it now, I haven't actually lived in the uk for over 5 years. And Australia offers me almost 75% pay hike over nz!

Many thanks for all the replies, very useful