Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electrical advice - plug wiring

Electrical advice - plug wiring

Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical advice - plug wiring

Hey. Arrived in Australia on Thursday - big move! We brought some electrical bits and bobs, as you do, which of course all have UK plugs. We have a few UK-Oz plug convertors, but I went to Dick Smith shop today and was surprised to see that they're not especially cheap - $16/$17 or so. An Aussie power plug is only $3 however.

I'm confident with UK plug wiring, and Aussie plug wiring looks easy too. What I'm not sure about is that fact that UK plugs have a fuse and Aussie plugs do not. Why is that then? If I cut the plug off my laptop's charger lead and wire on an Aussie plug, what's the risk to my equipment, if any?

On a related note - any recommendations for buying stuff like this online? Dick Smith doesn't seem cheap - or perhaps the exchange rate just makes things seem expensive? - but usually online is cheaper. I need to buy a couple of multi-voltage power supplies too (e.g. for baby monitor) and don't fancy paying Dick Smith prices for those either.

Cheers
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical advice - plug wiring

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Hey. Arrived in Australia on Thursday - big move! We brought some electrical bits and bobs, as you do, which of course all have UK plugs. We have a few UK-Oz plug convertors, but I went to Dick Smith shop today and was surprised to see that they're not especially cheap - $16/$17 or so. An Aussie power plug is only $3 however.

I'm confident with UK plug wiring, and Aussie plug wiring looks easy too. What I'm not sure about is that fact that UK plugs have a fuse and Aussie plugs do not. Why is that then? If I cut the plug off my laptop's charger lead and wire on an Aussie plug, what's the risk to my equipment, if any?

On a related note - any recommendations for buying stuff like this online? Dick Smith doesn't seem cheap - or perhaps the exchange rate just makes things seem expensive? - but usually online is cheaper. I need to buy a couple of multi-voltage power supplies too (e.g. for baby monitor) and don't fancy paying Dick Smith prices for those either.

Cheers
This is why we advise people to bring power boards for UK stuff - cheaper and easier than plug changing (and in some States more legal) - my place looks like spaghetti junction, specially as there is only one power point in each bedroom and only one in the living room.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
This is why we advise people to bring power boards for UK stuff - cheaper and easier than plug changing (and in some States more legal) - my place looks like spaghetti junction, specially as there is only one power point in each bedroom and only one in the living room.
Thanks for the reply!

It is a great idea, but I'm already here! Can I get a UK power strips here?

The idea of using a UK power strip did occur to me but only after arrival. However the question remains the same - if I do have a UK power strip, it will have a UK plug on the end of it, and I will need to change it for an Aussie plug. The UK plug has a fuse, the Aussie plug does not. I want to be sure that I'm not going to be frying anything!

Cheers
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Thanks for the reply!

It is a great idea, but I'm already here! Can I get a UK power strips here?

The idea of using a UK power strip did occur to me but only after arrival. However the question remains the same - if I do have a UK power strip, it will have a UK plug on the end of it, and I will need to change it for an Aussie plug. The UK plug has a fuse, the Aussie plug does not. I want to be sure that I'm not going to be frying anything!

Cheers
In WA at least it's illegal to wire a plug yourself, you'll find it hard to find spare plugs in a shop. They're available on the internet. also all houses by law should have an Rcd on the power so fuses are irrelevant.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:51 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
In WA at least it's illegal to wire a plug yourself, you'll find it hard to find spare plugs in a shop. They're available on the internet. also all houses by law should have an Rcd on the power so fuses are irrelevant.
Do Bunnings et al not sell them over there? It's supposed to be illegal over here but they all sell them so most people do their own. Disclaimer = everyone I know anyway.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Seriously?! (Of course seriously) Thankfully I'm in NSW. So if you accidentally bust a plug, you have to pay for someone "qualified" and no doubt overpriced just to wire a simple plug? How is this policed/regulated?
Old Sep 8th 2012, 1:07 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?! (Of course seriously) Thankfully I'm in NSW. So if you accidentally bust a plug, you have to pay for someone "qualified" and no doubt overpriced just to wire a simple plug? How is this policed/regulated?
if it all goes down in a fire caused by a screwed up plug installation, an insurance co is probably going to have a say. Noone is going to bust into your house checking plugs, don't worry.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Bunnings do sell plugs here in Wa.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:42 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The fuses in UK plugs are an additional safety factor which ensures that the failure of one appliance won't blow a main fuse/breaker and disable all the power points on that circuit - but it only works if you have the right size fuse in the plug which most don't. It's not essential.

Don't try buying plugs etc from Dick Smith, they're not in that business any more. Either go to Bunnings or Jaycar and rewire your appliances or buy one of these which will take any plug used in the world.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
The fuses in UK plugs are an additional safety factor which ensures that the failure of one appliance won't blow a main fuse/breaker and disable all the power points on that circuit - but it only works if you have the right size fuse in the plug which most don't. It's not essential.

Don't try buying plugs etc from Dick Smith, they're not in that business any more. Either go to Bunnings or Jaycar and rewire your appliances or buy one of these which will take any plug used in the world.

Good advice. Didn't know those coverters exisited. Looks handy.

Yep, don't buy from DS, much cheaper at Bunnings.

Last edited by Alfresco; Sep 8th 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
The fuse in UK plugs is a legacy from before RCDs were used and is now kind of redundant. You can get plugs at Bunnings but I prefer the Clipsal ones which you can usually only get from an electrical wholesaler. I find that they are not as easy to wire as UK/SA plugs but you will soon get the hang of it if doing lots.

I think the Australia plug has serious design flaws, but that's another topic.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:50 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I have loads of those that I bought in Singapore. They work well and save a lot of hassle.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all. Have myself a plug, wire cutters and screwdriver. Going to give it a whirl...

I miss websites such as ebuyer, Misco, cclonline, etc. for getting cheap stuff. Even Amazon was pretty good most of the time. e.g. DS had a replacement power lead for my laptop's power block (so just the mains to block bit) and it was something like $15. Stuff that. Can't help think how I could get these in the UK for peanuts! Any suggestions for similar ebuyer, etc. websites?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 8:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Thanks all. Have myself a plug, wire cutters and screwdriver. Going to give it a whirl...

I miss websites such as ebuyer, Misco, cclonline, etc. for getting cheap stuff. Even Amazon was pretty good most of the time. e.g. DS had a replacement power lead for my laptop's power block (so just the mains to block bit) and it was something like $15. Stuff that. Can't help think how I could get these in the UK for peanuts! Any suggestions for similar ebuyer, etc. websites?
Ebay
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Ebay
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.